Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Alternate Handbrake Locations???... Pictures?
StuartBJ

posted on 12/5/11 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
Alternate Handbrake Locations???... Pictures?

.....almost......almost .........almost there on the V12 AGM WLR.

Just finishing off the last few odds and sods and the body will be finshed this month..... well lets say "it will be on and secured in position"..... but the odd "power" buldge may be required, I must say it will be nice to see it looking more like a car than a chassis under a cover.

Anyway.....as my engine and transmission have been pushed as far back as possible I may need to relocate the handbrake so I`m reseraching alternate positions that have been used successfully.

I`m sure Ive seen a handbrake positioned just inside the passenger "compartment" on a production kit car..... but have no idea which.

Any suggestions??? Pictures???

Thanks Guys

bi22le

posted on 12/5/11 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
RAW Striker (and any JPSC chassis to a certain extent) has the hand brake on the passenger compartment.

No need to give you pics for this, just do a search.

Its fine to use but not very pleasent looking.

HTH

Biz

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

snapper

posted on 12/5/11 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
Dax have the hand brake horizontal going across the underside of the steering column

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Bare

posted on 12/5/11 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
AS did Lotus but across on the passengers side . Best place for it actually!
theconrodkid

posted on 12/5/11 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
i used a hand brake lever from an MG midget on mine....made for the job

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Rallye_Mark

posted on 12/5/11 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
I thought about using a handbrake from a Ford Ranger 4x4, its located under the steering wheel to the left and is operated by pulling it straight out towards you, so doesn't arc if you know what I mean?

I too have thought about the passenger side as after driving my mates Tiger with the handbrake in the normal position, i found it hard to operate without sitting forward out of the bucket seat.

adithorp

posted on 12/5/11 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
Most (all?) dash/pull handbrakes pull a cable that then operates a secondary lever arrangement under the vehicle to create the leverage.
There's also a few vans with a traditional lever but mounted to the o/s of the drivers seat, by the door. Is that a posibility?

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

stevebubs

posted on 12/5/11 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
Go electric?

Let's face it - with a V12, you're not going to be overly worried about weight...

[Edited on 12/5/11 by stevebubs]

dwpage

posted on 12/5/11 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
Most RWD vans use a cable to a long lever under the vehicle and then from that lever to the brakes with a ratio of about 1 - 5 (similar to brake pedal ratio). If you use a walking stick type H/brake lever then any long Bowden cable can be run from this to the lever where ever you mount it.
By the way did you get your kit up to Alan? and did you/he get the steering sorted?
David

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
StuartBJ

posted on 13/5/11 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs
Go electric?

Let's face it - with a V12, you're not going to be overly worried about weight...

[Edited on 12/5/11 by stevebubs]

Electric? .....

I`m going to need to google that one! I didn`t know you could get electric handbrakes???

StuartBJ

posted on 13/5/11 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dwpage
Most RWD vans use a cable to a long lever under the vehicle and then from that lever to the brakes with a ratio of about 1 - 5 (similar to brake pedal ratio). If you use a walking stick type H/brake lever then any long Bowden cable can be run from this to the lever where ever you mount it.
By the way did you get your kit up to Alan? and did you/he get the steering sorted?
David

Hey, yes....eventually. I had no end of problems with transporters not showing up and trying to con me, I had to go to the Police in the end and threaten one of them with Fraud (no joke)..... but Alan came to the rescue (quite literally) and came and picked it up. Alan is now adding some addition strenghtening and fabricating the steering components. I go up to AGM on the 23rd for a few day to finish the car.

Lookfor some pictures soon.

issunaz

posted on 5/6/11 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rallye_Mark
I thought about using a handbrake from a Ford Ranger 4x4, its located under the steering wheel to the left and is operated by pulling it straight out towards you, so doesn't arc if you know what I mean?

I too have thought about the passenger side as after driving my mates Tiger with the handbrake in the normal position, i found it hard to operate without sitting forward out of the bucket seat.

I have this handbrake in my kit, £25 + postage on ebay, I got one from a local 4X4 breaker for £20.

Frame bolts to the chassis, jobs a good un.

Martin

Andybarbet

posted on 6/6/11 at 02:48 AM Reply With Quote
Father inlaws 2005 Hilux has the under dash pulltype hand brake, quite easy to get used too aswell

Give a man a fish & it will feed him for a day, give him a fishing rod & you've saved a fish.

sasquar

posted on 20/6/11 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
2wd ford rangers also use the same handbrake, as the piccy. Also, although relatively rare, mk1 renault masters use a similar system that could easily be adapted, just a couple of m6 bolts holding it on.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.