Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Donor chassis number removal?
Slater

posted on 14/5/06 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
Donor chassis number removal?

Hi, I'm stripping my donor car (1990 1.8 CVH). I realise I have to keep all the car's identification numbers, so I've allready removed the 2 plates rivited just above the radiator, and the number plates.

Do I need to physically remove the chassis number stamped into the floor near the drivers seat. If so, how on earth do you cut it out?

DIY Si

posted on 14/5/06 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
Why do you need to keep all the id plates etc? Won't the V5 suffice?
flak monkey

posted on 14/5/06 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
Chop it out with an angle grinder.

Technically all you need is the V5. Removing all other identity marks proves you had the car, and stops someone else nicking the identity of the car onces its in the scrapper.

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

omega 24 v6

posted on 14/5/06 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
I kept all the removable plates and drilled holes through the one stamped in the chassis.
indykid

posted on 14/5/06 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
i cut my chassis number out too.

more because i could than because i had to. the bit about stopping someone else nicking the id in the scrappy is valid though.

angry grinder time!
tom

givemethebighammer

posted on 14/5/06 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
kept all mine, cut the one under the drivers seat (sierra) out with a sharp chisel and a lump hammer. All the rest were riveted in so easily drilled out. Kept the number plates too.

The remains of that car went for recycling completely anonymous.

coozer

posted on 15/5/06 at 06:18 AM Reply With Quote
Yep, cut mine out with a angle grinder just so I can show that I have used a single donor. Took loads of photo's as well, just in case...

Stop anybody appling for the V5 as well. My body went to the track, stock banger racing!!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

donut

posted on 15/5/06 at 06:36 AM Reply With Quote
I did not even see my donors!! It's not reqired as long as you have the V5.

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DaveFJ

posted on 15/5/06 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
I removed all ID from mine as scrappy's are legally obliged to inform DVLA of all cars scrapped - was worried they would cancel the V5......

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

Slater

posted on 15/5/06 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for replies, I'll keep the rivited plates and just drill out the chassis number under the seat to stop anybody else using the number. This seems the best option, as I don't have an angle grinder. I am taking lots of photos as well.
James

posted on 15/5/06 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slater
Thanks for replies, I'll keep the rivited plates and just drill out the chassis number under the seat to stop anybody else using the number. This seems the best option, as I don't have an angle grinder. I am taking lots of photos as well.

How the bloody hell do you expect to build a car without an angle grinder!!!

It's a physical impossibilty!

How will you power 'The Tool' without one?

Cheers,
James

EDIT: Cheers Wildchild!

[Edited on 15/5/06 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

wildchild

posted on 15/5/06 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
I think you meant 'without' there James.

And you can power 'the tool' with a drill. I don't have one which will fit into an angle grinder.

Angle grinders are damn useful though.

James

posted on 15/5/06 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wildchild
I think you meant 'without' there James.

And you can power 'the tool' with a drill. I don't have one which will fit into an angle grinder.

Angle grinders are damn useful though.

The drill ones kinda suck though compared with the grinder version- no power and too easy to knackered your drill and not as easy to use at that angle.
Worth you picking a grinder version (and the twisted knot are better too) at a show for a fiver.

I couldn't possibly have built my car with out the grinder. I cut out all my ali sheet with a 1mm blade, I de-rusted all the donor parts with The Tool, I cut a lot of the chassis tubes, the engine mounts, cut bolts, ground off paint, absoloutely everything has been done with a grinder.

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Slater

posted on 15/5/06 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
I've allready got most of the hand tool, and just replaced my crappy spanners with a half decent set (halford's pro), I've got the big workbench, vice. What I don't have yet is pop riviter and an hand/angle grinder. I'll just obtain these things as I require them.

I now need to remove the towbar from the donor, so yes I agree with James, an angle grinder would be helpful.

What is the best make/model for a general purpose middle of the road angle grinder ???

James

posted on 15/5/06 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
If buying an angle grinder, please, please, please make sure you also buy decent goggles, ear defenders and decent gloves (like welding gauntlets).
The 'pro' goggles or whatever they're called are only a fiver from Screwfix. There are so many people on here who've taken the risk and can tell you how much time they've spent in A&E having red hot shards fished from their eyes! It's just not worth not getting them!
Ear defenders are just sensible unless you wanna go deaf.
And again, many people, can tell you how much fun it is to catch yourself with the blade when not wearing goggles! Calvin included! I caught just the back of my hand with just The Tool and it was seriously debilitating for a while. The good welding gauntlets from Halfords are only about £10!

As for the grinder itself; there are two schools of thought. Buy posh and make sure it lasts or buy cheap and throw away. I bought posh (well, £40 Bosch PWS600 anyway) and it's lasted well (4 years heavy use). Whilst the £9 one is underpowered and crap!
God knows what the £5 Screwfix ones are like!!!! But some people happily have several £5 ones with different blades and just throw them in the bin when they fail!

HTH,
James

[Edited on 15/5/06 by James]

wildchild

posted on 15/5/06 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
fI bought posh (well, £40 Bosch PWS600 anyway) and it's lasted well (4 years heavy use).

does this make it a Posch Bosch?

sorry, I'm a bit bored.

Slater

posted on 15/5/06 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
Sound advice! I'll make sure I get some good safty gear too. Thanks.

Keith.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.