Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Picking this up at the weekend
Yazza54

posted on 16/5/11 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
Picking this up at the weekend

My first bike!! WOOOOOOO

Don't even have a license yet so I'll just stick it in the garage and do any bits while I do my test etc in the meantime. Wasn't planning on doing it arse about face but I've not seen one like it. Always liked bikes but after going to the TT last year I decided I needed one!

It's a vfr400 NC30, undergone a bit of a rebuild/tidy up. HPI clear. ZXR upside down forks and clamps, GSXR1000 six pot calipers, NC35 17'' rear wheel, RC30 front discs + s/steel disc bolts, Samco hoses, new brake pads, new DID chain + Renthal sprockets, Titanium sprocket bolts + s/steel nuts, Fitted with Bridgestone BT090 tyres 160 rear. Otherwise STD. Fairing needs a slight tidy but the bike itself looks a minter.

He took some of the pics mid build hence no chain and pics of naked bike

I'm unhappy cos I eat and I eat cos I'm unhappy

coozer

posted on 16/5/11 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
Very nice, excellent choice indeed

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

jeffw

posted on 16/5/11 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
Very nice. I used to own the bike your front discs came from

skodaman

posted on 16/5/11 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
Hard to believe they're over 20 years old now. I had one in Japan in the early 90's. Check pic in my archive. Bad pic cos digi cams hadn't been invented then. Great bikes. Just be careful it doesn't fall off the rather useless sidestand. Mine did this several times and eventually cracked the side casing.

Skodaman

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Daddylonglegs

posted on 16/5/11 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
They are a really 'whippy' bike and will give you many hours of fun but if it's your first bike take it easy. It will easily get you in trouble if you don't treat it with respect. But by the same token it will give a BIG grin too

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

Yazza54

posted on 16/5/11 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
Mm, I won't be taking any liberties. I know the dangers but don't want to let it put me off. My mum isnt best pleased!!!

daniel mason

posted on 16/5/11 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
my mate has an nc35 its awesome! very quick

Jasper

posted on 16/5/11 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
Be really careful mate - 4 people have died in separate incidents on bikes on the roads around us in the last couple of weeks - I'm bloody glad I don't ride one any more that's for sure.

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

James

posted on 16/5/11 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
My girlfriend rides an SV650 having written off her 750 Gixxer.

She just did a Bike Safe course run by the Police. She said it was really excellent and would recommend to anybody. She spent a fair few hours riding round with Police bikers who gave her advice on how to ride better and more safely.

I think she's done some of the other 'observed rides' type courses as well. I think they're run by IAM?

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Johneturbo

posted on 16/5/11 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jasper
Be really careful mate - 4 people have died in separate incidents on bikes on the roads around us in the last couple of weeks - I'm bloody glad I don't ride one any more that's for sure.

I agree about the being careful bit, but bikes are as dangerous as you make them.

lovely bike i love the single sided swing

Yazza54

posted on 16/5/11 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
I won't be going near it other than doing odd jobs till I have a full license and then I will probably pay to have some tuition

Thanks for the advice etc!

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 16/5/11 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
I almost bought a CBR400RR last month from a guy around the corner from me, but decided against it in the end.... can't even remember why!?!

I remember riding a 125 dirt bike across a mates field for weekends on end when I was 16, but haven't touched a bike since.... Thought I'd treat myself for the summer and do a direct access course and jump on whilst the kit's being built.

Sorta regret not doing it now, but more money to spend on the car and ease the post-holiday credit card burn. Seems I'm getting old now....

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

Werner Van Loock

posted on 16/5/11 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
Nice bike, but whenever i see a single sided rear wheel suspension I get a flashback of Robert Dunlops crash in the 1994 Isle of Man TT. His rear wheel spokes broke at high speed sending him head on to a brick wall.

Still remember this as being yesterday.

And as a few have told already, take it easy and be carefull.

http://www.clubstylus.be

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jasper

posted on 16/5/11 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Johneturbo
quote:

I agree about the being careful bit, but bikes are as dangerous as you make them.

I'm sorry, that's completely naive. Bikes are dangerous full stop, you can drive as safely and carefully as you want and it won't stop someone else hitting you. My mates sister had only passed her full license 2 weeks before, she'd been driving cars for 20 years and is a very sensible person. She got hit while she saw stationary at a junction. 6 years and 8 operations later she's been told she'll have to have her foot off.

If your going to ride a motorbike (and I did for 10 years) at least be honest with yourself and your loved ones about the very real dangers of riding.

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

Yazza54

posted on 16/5/11 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Werner Van Loock
Nice bike, but whenever i see a single sided rear wheel suspension I get a flashback of Robert Dunlops crash in the 1994 Isle of Man TT. His rear wheel spokes broke at high speed sending him head on to a brick wall.

Still remember this as being yesterday.

And as a few have told already, take it easy and be carefull.

Saw that the other day, infact it may have been on TT3D... can't remember..

I don't think I'll ever be able to give it half the hammering he did !

Yazza54

posted on 16/5/11 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
quote:

I'm sorry, that's completely naive. Bikes are dangerous full stop, you can drive as safely and carefully as you want and it won't stop someone else hitting you. My mates sister had only passed her full license 2 weeks before, she'd been driving cars for 20 years and is a very sensible person. She got hit while she saw stationary at a junction. 6 years and 8 operations later she's been told she'll have to have her foot off.

If your going to ride a motorbike (and I did for 10 years) at least be honest with yourself and your loved ones about the very real dangers of riding.

I'm more scared of other road users, so agreed.

Let's not turn this into a thread about motorcycle deaths please!

Peteff

posted on 16/5/11 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
I hope you're below average height if you are going to ride it a lot. I'm 5' 11" and they are way too small for me to get comfortable on. Mind you I am also very old and ride a 900 Hornet .

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Yazza54

posted on 16/5/11 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
I hope you're below average height if you are going to ride it a lot. I'm 5' 11" and they are way too small for me to get comfortable on. Mind you I am also very old and ride a 900 Hornet .

I've heard plenty of 6 footers say they fit like a glove... ?

I'm about 6'1 lol. Gonna have the Ruben Xaus factor. But much slower, hopefully fall off less though.

Andybarbet

posted on 16/5/11 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
Im Jealous, my all time favourite bike that, i always said if i ever got my full bike licence i would buy a VFR 400 NC30, i reckon with all 5'6" of me, that would be plenty of bike.

You lucky boy

Give a man a fish & it will feed him for a day, give him a fishing rod & you've saved a fish.

Johneturbo

posted on 16/5/11 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Yazza54
quote:
quote:
quote:

I'm more scared of other road users, so agreed.

Let's not turn this into a thread about motorcycle deaths please!

I agree, have fun on it... biking is a great lifestyle

Yazza54

posted on 17/5/11 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
Found a few companies who sell complete fairing kits all paint up so I'll put it back to the original scheme like this

I've not been so enthusiastic about something for a while

stevegough

posted on 17/5/11 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Yazza54
Found a few companies who sell complete fairing kits all paint up so I'll put it back to the original scheme like this

I've not been so enthusiastic about something for a while

I was reading through your thread to see if anyone else had commented on the colour.....because I was going to (idiotically) point out that it looks like it was either made from lots of different bikes or someone couldn't make up their mind what colour to paint it.....

......but you beat me to it!

Enjoy! and don't worry, bikes are safe as houses.....

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

Yazza54

posted on 17/5/11 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah, the fairings are a bit of an assortment. But it's 21 years old same as me and I've taken a few knocks in that time so i expect the bike has too! It's mint enough under the fairings and it's hpi clear so it'll do for me

[Edited on 17/5/11 by Yazza54]

UncleFista

posted on 17/5/11 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
I had it's bigger brother, an RC30, for a brief time in the early nineties.
I'd had a fair few bikes until then, the RC30 was in a different league...

Enjoy

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

MikeRJ

posted on 17/5/11 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
I was going to say lovely bike apart from the terrible purple screen (I can't imagine why people think they look good!). Putting it back to standard colours will certainly increase it's value and saleability in the future.
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.