Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Radiator size database!
craig1410

posted on 7/1/04 at 01:20 AM Reply With Quote
Radiator size database!

Hi,
Just wanted to let you all know that I have created a searchable front end to the BuyPartsBy website to allow you to search for suitable radiator donors for the Locost. You can enter the min/max length and height and get a list of matching donors. You can then go to a scrapyard knowing what to look for and decide if the pipe routing and mounting arrangements are suitable or not. You can also decide if the donor vehicle is of a similar power output and type as your engine and hence should provide suitable cooling capacity.

Just go to my website at:
http://www.craig.chamberlain.name
and follow the links to "Radiator Database"

I hope this helps,
Craig.

GO

posted on 7/1/04 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
Thats great, nice work craig - gonna be v useful when I get to the stage of hunting for a rad!!

Cheers.

craig1410

posted on 7/1/04 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
GO,
Thanks, I thought it might be quite useful to many of us. At least now we won't all be fighting over just the Polo and Micra radiators...

By the way, I tried it from work today and it is quite slow unless you filter the sizes in some way. I have set it to 0-9999 for both height and length but I think I'll change this to something more sensible like 400 x 400 just in case anyone tries it and gives up before it completes. The slowness is due to the time it takes to transfer the result set back to the browser as it runs instantly when I'm at home.

Cheers,
Craig.

GO

posted on 7/1/04 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
I tried it with a few (sensible) values in and it was fine, just a couple of secs.
craig1410

posted on 7/1/04 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
I've changed the default Length range to 300-450mm and the height from 300-330. That keep the number of returned rows down a bit.

By the way, there are 2483 records in total in the database.

Cheers,
Craig.

Graceland

posted on 11/1/04 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
good small radiator with excellant cooling is one from a ford fiesta rsturbo

got mine today for free - will get measurements of it tomorrow

craig1410

posted on 11/1/04 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,
Not a bad choice as I think the RS turbo engine produced something like 138BHP.

I think for my Rover V8 3.5 litre I'll need something a bit bigger though but I'm sure this would be a good choice for peole using smaller engines. Apparently the problem with the bigger engines is that they produce more heat when idling compared with a smaller, high revving engine of similar power output.

Thanks again,
Craig.

8smokingbarrels

posted on 19/1/04 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Craig

I grabbed a rad from a granada- i'll get the dimensions if u want them- its twin fan (wow! ).

Its looks to be same size as a mondeo's but its only single fan. Probably 2 big for a locost tho.

chris

craig1410

posted on 19/1/04 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,
Yes by all means, just post the details here or email me and I'll put it in the database.

I actually ordered a radiator from BuyPartsBy.co.uk and I must say the service was excellent. The ordering process is slick and the order tracking service is very good too. Delivery time was essentially next day as I ordered it at about 9pm on the 14th and got it on the 16th at about lunchtime. The price was very good too at £45 all in with vat and delivery. BTW, I got the Polo/Passat/Golf radiator which a few people have recommended (BuyPartsBy part number: 883819)

Cheers,
Craig.

Chris.B

posted on 12/8/06 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
Craig - is the Radiator Parts Database still working? Couldn't see a link to it when I just looked
craig1410

posted on 13/8/06 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Chris,
It was always available but there were no links to it from my homepage. I have added a link on my website now so just got to...

http://www.craig.chamberlain.name

...and look for the recently added article second down from the top.

Cheers,
Craig.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.