Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Welding
snapper

posted on 22/1/08 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
Welding

Just started my welding course at the local Ag college and with my first attempts at gas welding, i would have done better if i had used a Pritstick,, lecturer said slow down a bit then i just blew holes in the plate.
More practise, more practise, more practise.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

blakep82

posted on 22/1/08 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
rome wasn't built in a day, and they certainly didn't weld it!

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

tks

posted on 22/1/08 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
it also will depend on current settings!!!

if you go slower = more heat..

sow adjust the current settings.

anyway i would always start again and again reading the theory about welding..

you will discover that is not just sticking/melting...

if you learn the theory then you can cope with situations knowing how to react.../how to adjust..

Tks

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

Dangle_kt

posted on 22/1/08 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
I was meant to be starting one last week, but it was fully booked by the time I got round to put my name down.

Next one is April!!

At least they are still popular enough to run them

Mr Whippy

posted on 22/1/08 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
Really it's incredibly easy to do, understand a few settings on the machine and wiggle a little wire about...

I say don't wait till april, get some bits of scrap and practice. If it looks rubbish put some pictures on the site (not so big we need to scroll) and we'll soon tell you where you’re going wrong.

[Edited on 22/1/08 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 22/1/08 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tks

if you learn the theory then you can cope with situations knowing how to react.../how to adjust..

Tks

I don't really agree as like painting you can read all the theory you like but only with practice will you actually learn to paint.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 22/1/08 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
people talking about current, wire, seetings on the machine...

gas welding, isn't it?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

rusty nuts

posted on 22/1/08 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
You cant adjust the current when gas welding although you can reduce the flame settings slightly. The original post mentioned GAS WELDING
Mr Whippy

posted on 22/1/08 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
too much heat from gas welding, end up with a bannana

Wadders

posted on 22/1/08 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
Don't be disheartened, IMHO gas welding is about the trickiest form of welding to master, not only does it require the coordination of both hands, but your normally welding very thin metal which tends to distort and blow through easily. get your head round it, and MMA and MIG will be a breeze. next hurdle will be TIG, both hands and a foot required

Al.

Originally posted by snapper
Just started my welding course at the local Ag college and with my first attempts at gas welding, i would have done better if i had used a Pritstick,, lecturer said slow down a bit then i just blew holes in the plate.

Dangle_kt

posted on 22/1/08 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Really it's incredibly easy to do, understand a few settings on the machine and wiggle a little wire about...

I say don't wait till april, get some bits of scrap and practice. If it looks rubbish put some pictures on the site (not so big we need to scroll) and we'll soon tell you where you’re going wrong.

[Edited on 22/1/08 by Mr Whippy]

I'm ahead of you already mate. See the Arc wleding section on the MIG welding forum, one called "my first weld" by Dangle_kt.... that's me!

Got lots of advise, but no time to practice at the mo! Dam DIY!

NS Dev

posted on 22/1/08 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tks

Tks

current settings??? With GAS?

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

NS Dev

posted on 22/1/08 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wadders
Don't be disheartened, IMHO gas welding is about the trickiest form of welding to master, not only does it require the coordination of both hands, but your normally welding very thin metal which tends to distort and blow through easily. get your head round it, and MMA and MIG will be a breeze. next hurdle will be TIG, both hands and a foot required

Al.

Originally posted by snapper

......though, as you will no doubt agree (I hope) I actually find it quite natural "driving" the tig with my right foot. I struggled far more with gas (when I learnt it at school thanks to an enthusiast teacher who ignored the things we "should" have been learning at 13 years old!!) and have done since, whereas with tig I find it pretty easy apart from ally!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

posted on 22/1/08 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
Mmmmm, Bronze Welded Chassis.

Nice

Paul G

quinnj3

posted on 22/1/08 at 11:53 PM Reply With Quote
Tig is proabably the best type of weld for welding a chasis cause it doesn't heat the steel as much therefore less pull. Problem is its a bugger to do. I used to be able to do it very slowly, its been at least 4 months now since i've touched a tig welder so would need loads of practice to catch on again. You need to be at it regularly to keep the standard up. suppose its the same with all types of welding.

my aim is to build my own locost wether it takes me a week or 10 years to get started, i'm sure i will sometime

quattromike

posted on 22/1/08 at 11:55 PM Reply With Quote
I have to do this for a job so I can say that the easyest by far is welding with flux cored wire on heavy plate, just point it in the general direction you want to fill with weld pull the trigger and your away
I was trying to weld up a st.st. counter for our local take away today and it was a knightmare trying to get a nice small weld on thin sheet and ended up makin little holes an puting bigger welds over them to cover it up
It is just practice, try a little ask someone change a setting here do it different there and after about 10 years you should be able to stick some bit's together
OR! you could be on your way to designing a new teflon agent

"At the end of the day, I think it's going to get very dark"

bonzoronnie

posted on 23/1/08 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
Gas welding

Gas welding is a very good medim for the novice to learn.

It promotes hand & eye co-ordination as wel as giving you a good insight as to how the weld pool works.
The relatively low light output from a flame helps you to observe the welding process.

I am sure you tutor will give some great advice.

Apart from the basic gas pressure settings the main choices will be your nozle size. Probably a size 1-2 on sheet metal.
The type of flame you require for a particular task/material

3 types of basic flame can be used with a neutral flame being the most relevant to welding sheet metal

1: Neutral flame. Ox + Acet, equal
2: Oxidizing flame. Ox rich
3: Carborizing flame. Acet rich.

Gas welding is a little tricky at the beginning, but once mastered. You will have a solid platform when you move onto MIG, TIG and pehaps MMA.

Ronnie

dhutch

posted on 23/1/08 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
I learnt gas first, at the local collage, while i was at school.
- We did 10weeks, at an hour a week.

We started on about 4mm plate, just welding it at right angles in a jig. Then down to 2mm, then 1. Then progressed onto welding other shapes, diffrent parts together, tube onto square section, etc.

It was a really good course, and ive been about to do feasably good gas welding ever since (i was about 14 at the time, now 20).

I then later largely self taught myself mig, and can also produce a functional weld with that too.

Just give it time. Its practice.

You can have diffrent nosel sizes with gas, but i presume they have you on the right one for the thickness of plate. What thickness are you welding?

Daniel

MikeRJ

posted on 23/1/08 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
I love gas welding, for some reason I find it tremendously satisfying and the results are so much neater than MIG. It's also far less fussy on the surface finish of the metal.

Just don't pick up the welding rod by the wrong end...

rallyingden

posted on 23/1/08 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with MikeRJ

Gas is very satisfying once you know how to do it. You can control warping by the way you weld a job up, just keep swapping sides.

For practice just try doing a "run" along a sheet of metal trying to maintain a "pool" of molten metal. Once your OK with this start "dipping" the welding rod into the pool as you go. Keep the rod in the flame but away from the blue hot spot until you want to dip it, this preheats the rod and stops it sticking when you dry to dip a cold rod into the pool. You will get the knack in no time.

Plus once you have mastered gas welding Tig is a doddle.

Good Luck

RD

Peteff

posted on 23/1/08 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote

Bend a hook on the other end so you don't get it wrong I still have my Portapak and some gas, I welded the van with it last year. You can warm stuff up and beat it into place to close gaps up etc.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

gazza285

posted on 23/1/08 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ

So many times............

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

rusty nuts

posted on 23/1/08 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gazza285
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ

So many times............

Still got the scars after nearly 40 years

Peteff

posted on 24/1/08 at 12:30 AM Reply With Quote
As I said

Bend a hook on the other end, it also stops nosy observers risking their eyes. I was taught this 30+ years ago and still do it now.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

tks

posted on 24/1/08 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
Oeps...

Sow gas welding means Autogeen welding??

With the pure oxygen and pure red bottle stuff wich smelllss.....

I learned it at school to! (i am 24years old)
we welded a cubic thingy with gas and then we needed to pressure test it!!
mine never poored or blew up, they did shaped themselves like a ball (deform)...

the trick i applied by welding witht he flame is that if it gets to hot, you put te flame at more distance from the workpiece.. then it cools down...

by managing that distance i managed the heat.

the flame is a basic setting (you need to see the small cones) you will need the correct nozzle number for the sheet thickness tough...

Tks

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.