Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: speeding
MautoK

posted on 13/5/09 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
Fair points re. the exceptions, Mike.
I quite agree that speed is not the problem, per se.
However, my point above is that, to a first approximation, if one exceeds the posted limit one's wallet is liable to be lightened.

He's whittling on a piece of wood. I got a feeling that when he stops whittling, something's gonna happen. (OUATITW/Cheyenne)

chrisg

posted on 13/5/09 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
What I don't understand is why speed is the only motoring offence that maters, or is even detected anymore.

Police traffic patrols have reduced by almost 70% since the government switched to "policing by camera"

I'll give you an example.

Man A pays his road tax and insurance, had a driving licence for twenty odd years. Drives a well maintained car, sober and doesn't take drugs..

but

He sometimes drives 5mph over the limit.

Man B is drunk, high on several types of narcotic, never taken a driving test, no tax test, or insurance, driving a deathtrap with no brakes and slick tyres

but

By luck or judgement he passes every camera at 29.9mph.

Who would you rather share the road with?

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

Ninehigh

posted on 13/5/09 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
Too true!

My last excuse (46 in a 30) was "I was looking at the road, not the speedo"

Then came a polite argument about the dangers of speed cameras due to people watching their speed more than the idiots who walk across the road without checking that x tons of metal is heading their way.

I think some kind of special dispensation could be applied for here, whereby your standard of driving is tested and then you're immune to speed cameras but you get immediately banned for causing an accident while over the speed limit.
Having never been in an accident that was my fault (well one, I was the only one there!) I'd apply

A1

posted on 15/5/09 at 01:26 AM Reply With Quote
have i mentioned that the times and speeds and distances dont seem to add up?
i would fight it, seeing as they were complete arses to me, my names not the same as on the ticket (they missed one middle name) but the problem is im leaving the country on monday, so theres no time to.
i dont want to become any more victimized by the scum that are supposed to protect us, so im paying the fine and accepting the points.

cd.thomson

posted on 15/5/09 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
you were doing 120 elementary particles AND speeding?

Craig

A1

posted on 16/5/09 at 02:09 AM Reply With Quote
em...i dont have a screen...the bridges are about .3 of a mile closer than they said they were...
Ninehigh

posted on 16/5/09 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by A1
em...i dont have a screen...the bridges are about .3 of a mile closer than they said they were...

That means you were going faster than they said...

JoelP

posted on 16/5/09 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
quote:
Originally posted by A1

no it doesnt! If it were less distance than they thought, it would explain why it took him less time to cover than they thought it should take.

But, id be very suprised if they had the distance wrong. How did you measure it A1?

Ninehigh

posted on 16/5/09 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
quote:
Originally posted by A1

no it doesnt! If it were less distance than they thought, it would explain why it took him less time to cover than they thought it should take.

But, id be very suprised if they had the distance wrong. How did you measure it A1?

No no, speed = distance/time. Less distance in the same time means, hang on no you're right... Doh...

DaveFJ

posted on 16/5/09 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
well i just got pulled whilst out on a shake down run after repacking my exhaust....

they let me off

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

A1

posted on 16/5/09 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
me and a chum went out in his car and checked the distance, ive also checked them on maps...
the thing that pisses me off most is the way they treated me, mostly cause of my age. they were kinda snide bastards, but i suppose thats just traffic cops...

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.