Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: duratec 2.5v6 or Zetec 2.0?
mr henderson

posted on 27/9/07 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
duratec 2.5v6 or Zetec 2.0?

I can use either in my project, and it seems to me that the duratec is the best bet, more power, no cam belt problems, alloy block, more modern design
I would be interested in the opinions of others, though
TIA

coozer

posted on 27/9/07 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
Bigger the better???

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

AndyH

posted on 27/9/07 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
2.0 Duratec not an option?
MkIndy7

posted on 27/9/07 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
Two exhausts and mounts etc to buy or make for the V6.
Two cylinder heads if anything needs replacing, seals, head gaskets faster cam's etc
The V6 is no doubt slightly heavier and physically bigger as well.

Not that there a downer on the V6... just things to consider.

mr henderson

posted on 27/9/07 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AndyH
2.0 Duratec not an option?

I'm looking at Mk2 Mondeo donors so no, the 2.0 duratec isn't an option. Thanks anyway

[Edited on 27/9/07 by mr henderson]

Hellfire

posted on 27/9/07 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
Neither. Fit a bike engine............

Phil

chrisg

posted on 27/9/07 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
If I could have put money on what you'd say Phil!!!

cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

RazMan

posted on 27/9/07 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
Personally I'm biased but my Duratec V6 is pretty good. 200bhp with a few basic mods and there's always the possibilty of a turbo or two

It's probably one of the lightest V6's around and mates nicely with the MT-75 or MTX-75 gearbox for transverse applications. (I've got a spare box or two as well)

I have a base map if you need one and if you need any more info just shout

[Edited on 27-9-07 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeRJ

posted on 27/9/07 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
It's probably one of the lightest V6's around and mates nicely with the MT-75 or MTX-75 gearbox for transverse applications. (I've got a spare box or two as well)

It will not mate up to the MT75. The MT75 uses the old Ford bolt pattern so will fit Pintos, Crossflows, Zetecs, CVH's etc, but not the newer Duratec engines. You need the Jaguar S type box and sump for RWD applications.

I reckon lots more people would be using them if in Locosts etc. if gearbox availbility was less of a problem.

[Edited on 27/9/07 by MikeRJ]

worX

posted on 27/9/07 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
I can't wait to see your twin turbo set up Raz!

I am with Phil! - stick a Bike engine in there and have more fun than you know whats good for ya!!!

Steve
quote:
Personally I'm biased but my Duratec V6 is pretty good. 200bhp with a few basic mods and there's always the possibilty of a turbo or two

I have a base map if you need one and if you need any more info just shout

DIY Si

posted on 27/9/07 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
It may be a light V6, but it doesn't make it light! I can pick up a zetec (just) put the V6 is far too much. Although it is a fairly nice design, but tuning parts are a little thin on the ground compared to the zetec. As said, just llok to Noble for the possible power outputs, as they use a twin turbo version of the V6, albeit with some internal mods.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

RazMan

posted on 27/9/07 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
It will not mate up to the MT75. The MT75 uses the old Ford bolt pattern so will fit Pintos, Crossflows, Zetecs, CVH's etc, but not the newer Duratec engines. You need the Jaguar S type box and sump for RWD applications.

Quite right Mike - I seem to remember I got that wrong recently too (senior moment obviously )

Tuning parts are indeed a bit thin on the ground but you can find a few bits and pieces on the US Contour forums. Apparently fitting ST220 cams will give the 2.5 litre engine quite a power hike and the intake manifolds from an ST200 (or US SVT) is very effective.
Removing the secondary butterflies improve the breathing a bit as well as removing all of the emmissions related stuff.
The standard water pump can also be ditched and replaced with an EWP, releasing a few more ponies.

quote:
Originally posted by worX
I can't wait to see your twin turbo set up Raz!

Hmmm I doubt it will be twins but you never know

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Chippy

posted on 27/9/07 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
As a confirmed V6'er, there's no contest, the lovely sound of a V6 on full song, cracking. With four pot its just any chav machine, a long f*rt. Bike engines are just great, in bikes. Ray
iank

posted on 27/9/07 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
mr henderson claims to be building a 'MEC' if that means a Mid engined car then gearbox won't be a problem use the MTX75 from the Mondeo.

In which case v6 every time if you have room - it's all alloy so not a lot heavier than the zetec.

You'll spend a lot of money getting a 2.0 zetec up to the same power the 2.5 duratec has as standard, so no tuning parts required unless you 'need' to go past 200bhp (ish).

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

ned

posted on 28/9/07 at 07:36 AM Reply With Quote
There are tuning parts available if you know where to go (or have a big enough wallet!)
Mountune have built nat asp race engines based on the 3ltr jag v6 (a derivation of the 2.5 duratec) at over 400bhp and this was a year or two ago..

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

Hellfire

posted on 28/9/07 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chippy
As a confirmed V6'er, there's no contest, the lovely sound of a V6 on full song, cracking. With four pot its just any chav machine, a long f*rt. Bike engines are just great, in bikes. Ray

Whilst a V6 does sound 2 cylinders short of a real engine, I'd agree with our Phil. See the rear of your's on the next lap....

Steve

Chippy

posted on 28/9/07 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Whilst a V6 does sound 2 cylinders short of a real engine, I'd agree with our Phil. See the rear of your's on the next lap....

Come now Steve, why would you want to see my rear. . But as I run something OVER 220 BHP, could you even keep up. Cheers Ray

Hellfire

posted on 29/9/07 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
So that works out about what........ 110bhp per tonne??? Keeping up would be no problem whatsoever. We'd even give you a head start

coozer

posted on 29/9/07 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire

Phil

Another hijack, bike engines just don't get anywhere near a V6 for power and torque..

And how about the individuality of the car with a V6 in it? Go for it!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

RazMan

posted on 29/9/07 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
^^^^^^^

Yeah, wot he said

Bloomin girly hairdryers pah!

[Edited on 29-9-07 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

Hellfire

posted on 30/9/07 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire

Phil

Another hijack, bike engines just don't get anywhere near a V6 for power and torque..

And how about the individuality of the car with a V6 in it? Go for it!

You so need power and talk in a car that weighs next to nothing... ours generates nearly 400bhp/tonne (more if you're talking flywheel bhp). Who needs torque on such a light car?

I thought that's what 7's were for? Quick and nimbleness...

Chippy

posted on 30/9/07 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
Hellfire you miss the point entirely. The car may be light, (Ermm! maybe not mine), and nimble, but it's the quality of the sound it makes that's just as important. Now while you may just loooove wearing a helmet and ear plugs, some of us love the sound of a real CEC engine, fours, sixes Hmmm!, and eights. Not all of us want to blast round a track at warp nine. I even have a radio in mine, which as long as I don't hit the loud pedal too hard is great. Cheers Ray
mr henderson

posted on 4/10/07 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
V6 Duratec acquired today, thanks for all the advice. Whole car (P reg Ghia) for £500 in excellent running order, FSH, less than 100,000 miles, and plenty of sellable bits too.
RazMan

posted on 4/10/07 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
Nice one! Is it an ST24 or just vanilla flavour?

If you stumble on any performance goodies for it, give me a shout - I will do likewise

Cheers,
Raz

mr henderson

posted on 4/10/07 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Nice one! Is it an ST24 or just vanilla flavour?

If you stumble on any performance goodies for it, give me a shout - I will do likewise

What's wrong with Vanilla? I like vanilla especially with some fresh baked apple pie

On a more serious note, though, it's just the ordinary 167BHP (guess that's more than most BEC's though).
I'm not plannng any modifications at the moment, but I will certainly draw you attention if I see any tuning bits on offer

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.