Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: changing engine number/capacity on V5
Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 2/5/12 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
changing engine number/capacity on V5

Hi guys,

Finally getting round to changing the details on my V5, and I'm a bit confused by what I have to provide for the DVLA (i don' think they know themselves).

I've changed from 1600 CVH to 2000 Zetec. I have a receipt from the ebay purchase, and the new engine number.

What do I need to provide them with? some people mention a written report from a garage, others have managed without? DVLA website says garage headed paper, where as Directgov says receipt, or manufacturers letter is ok?

With the DVLA being thoroughly useless, I don't want to send my V5 in and have trouble getting the bl*ody thing back....

thanks for your help!

flibble

posted on 2/5/12 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
When I got my MOT after my engine change I just asked the tester to put on a peice of headed paper something along the lines of "I confirm that car (MAKE/ REG) has a 2.0 SAAB B204 engine fitted, Engine number B204xxxxxxx", he then signed it.
I then sent it off with the changed V5, job done

Ben_Copeland

posted on 2/5/12 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
Just tried to change mine!

They want me to retax it as the tax class has changed. But it's still sorned???

So I'll have to insure it, mot it and then go to DVLA office to get tax. Then send off the v5

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

TimEllershaw

posted on 2/5/12 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
When I changed mine, I just sent the V5 back with the changes on and a short letter saying that it was a different engine.
Mine is on a Q plate so no change to tax, emissions, etc, so probably less of a problem.

They just made the change and sent the V5 back in a couple of weeks.

I have read elsewhere that they are less bothered about Q plates, or changes to higher capacity. They just want guard against Joe Bloggs changing his Tin Top's V5 to avoid road tax, by claiming it now has a super efficient small capacity engine in.

Cheers

Tim.

http://www.teenagecancertrust.org/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 2/5/12 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TimEllershaw
When I changed mine, I just sent the V5 back with the changes on and a short letter saying that it was a different engine.
Mine is on a Q plate so no change to tax, emissions, etc, so probably less of a problem.

They just made the change and sent the V5 back in a couple of weeks.

I have read elsewhere that they are less bothered about Q plates, or changes to higher capacity. They just want guard against Joe Bloggs changing his Tin Top's V5 to avoid road tax, by claiming it now has a super efficient small capacity engine in.

Cheers

Tim.

Oh that sounds good. I'm on a Q plate, may be worth a speculative letter with some info.....

designer

posted on 2/5/12 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
I would have thought that they would only need proof if you were going down on capacity. After all, bigger engine, bigger tax!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rodgling

posted on 2/5/12 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
I sent them a covering letter with photos of the swap, including closeups of engine numbers. They were happy with that.
Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 2/5/12 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for your help guys - i'll try the pics and receipt option first. see how we go.

will update the post with what happens!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.