Board logo

Is this an alternative to a Vinyl Wrap?
snakebelly - 27/11/13 at 09:26 PM

Saw this on the frost site whilst ordering something else the other day. I know the Vinyl Wrapping question comes up regularly and just wondered if this could be a cheap alternative?

http://www.frost.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=liquid+wrap&order=relevance&dir=desc&x=0&y=0

[Edited on 27/11/13 by snakebelly]

corrado vr6 - 27/11/13 at 09:47 PM

Someone on a mini forum I use used this but straight over primer, due to this it didn't peal off like it should and was a nightmare to deal with, had he of applied it over a top coat it would have been a great product from the replies of others.

Great tip only use over a top coat

43655 - 27/11/13 at 09:52 PM

Search for Plasti-dip, It's pretty much a paint-on semi-temporary coating. thin it's pretty tough, but you can peel it off from an edge. I guess it has pros and cons compared to paint and vinyl.

snakebelly - 27/11/13 at 10:01 PM

I've known about Plasti Dip for a while but wasn't aware that Frost now did their own pre thinned and some very funky colours, just adding it up even with buying the application kit and a gallon of base and a gallon of topcoat I reckon you should be all in at less than £300! Even if it only lasts a year I didn't think it was that bad and you still have the compressor and gun for a colour change in year 2 so the second re-colour only costs about £130.

I suppose it depends on if your a fan of matt finishes as I don't think Frost yet do the full range that places like Dipyourcar.com do with gloss topcoats and metallic finishes.

iank - 27/11/13 at 10:07 PM

Loads if video's on youtube doing this. Certainly looks good out of the gun.

e.g.

bimbleuk - 28/11/13 at 07:22 AM

I've sprayed a couple of bonnets and pop-up light covers with mat black Plastidip. I treated it as a temporary finish on my track car but it's been on there for over a year and just needs an occasional blast with the power washer. I've found using a cloth can leave some fibres stuck behind.

There are various finishes and a glossifier for Plastidip for a less mat finish.

carpmart - 28/11/13 at 10:32 AM

I'm dissapointed with myself, as I really quite like what they did to that M3.