Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: little things by drivers that really irritate you
coyoteboy

posted on 7/8/16 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

It's not for your benefit, it's to let first responders know so they can check for a thrown baby chair etc.

Do you think first responders take any notice, I'd be worried if tart changed their methods at all!? The likelihood of the sign staying put (usually suckered) when a strapped in kids seat doesnt is small to zero. And since they leave them in all the time, that just makes their use without a kid in the car irresponsible.

quote:

Aggressive tossers who overtake to gain one place in a queue with absolutely no gain.

I sometimes overtake to gain one space because it puts me in a more likely place to be able to overtake again. But usually only when people in front show no signs or intent of overtaking but stop everyone else by boxing up tight to the car in front. Overtaking really shouldn't be seen as a bad thing. Around here you can overtake the only car on the road for a mile and get a mouthful of abuse and flashing lights - many people just don't like being overtaken.

[Edited on 7/8/16 by coyoteboy]

coyoteboy

posted on 7/8/16 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
And with that, motorbikes who overtake and swallow all your safe gap to the car in front by jamming themselves in the gap.

coyoteboy

posted on 7/8/16 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
And with that, motorbikes who overtake and swallow all your safe gap to the car in front by jamming themselves in the gap.

SteveWalker

posted on 7/8/16 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
quote:

It's not for your benefit, it's to let first responders know so they can check for a thrown baby chair etc.

Do you think first responders take any notice, I'd be worried if tart changed their methods at all!? The likelihood of the sign staying put (usually suckered) when a strapped in kids seat doesnt is small to zero. And since they leave them in all the time, that just makes their use without a kid in the car irresponsible.

Some are not that easy to detach and remove and often will fail to stick after doing so a few times. It doesn't really matter anyway, as they are not signalling that there is definitely a baby in there, just that one is frequently transported and therefore there is a reasonable possibility, so make a bit of extra effort looking to be sure.

Andi

posted on 7/8/16 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
Oh. I nearly forgot.
HORSE BOXES
Scourge of the English countryside and blat ruiner

Slimy38

posted on 7/8/16 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

A a biker, I can honestly say that... I agree with you entirely!! When I'm on two wheels, and I have a ton of metal in front of me, and a ton of metal behind me, the last thing I want to do is reduce/eliminate their braking distance. So I don't put myself in that situation.

I just overtake both cars instead!!

sdh2903

posted on 7/8/16 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
Aren't we all a bunch of grumpy old gits
Fcck2000

posted on 7/8/16 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
DOOR DINKERS I hate them with all my heart I do...

People that could pull forward a bit to let you turn left but sit with 10 yards between them and the car in front, just pull forward 2 yards and let the bloody traffic flow.

Tiger SSC
220bhp on standard MZR Duratec engine with throttle bodies and mild camshaft upgrade.

Smoking Frog

posted on 7/8/16 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
Idiots that stop in a yellow box when there exit road isn't clear blocking all other lanes.
christim

posted on 7/8/16 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
People who slow right down on the motorway before theyve entered the slipway to exit

SteveWalker

posted on 7/8/16 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Smoking Frog
Idiots that stop in a yellow box when there exit road isn't clear blocking all other lanes.

Around here we have a problem with a particular roundabout which sports lights and yellow boxes.

From one entry, if you are taking the first exit (90° left), there is a yellow box covering the whole distance, however there is a pelican across the exit and to prevent false starts from people seeing the wrong lights, the lights are heavily shielded - so during daylight, you can't see whether your exit light is red or green as you are entering the box! Which idiot puts a pedestrian crossing across the bottom of a motorway sliproad anyway? When all traffic on the approach roads and on the roundabout has to stop at various phases of the lights and simply putting the footpath on the central roundabout instead of around the outer edge would prevent the need for the extra pedestrian lights, the yellow box and the extra hold-ups at a very busy roundabout.

On the other side of the roundabout, when leaving the motorway at busy times and wanting to go right, the lights are phased so that when it is busy you are stuck at a red light while the road ahead is clear and by the time the green light comes on, the road ahead is full of vehicles stopped at the next lights around and you cannot go anywhere because of the yellow box. I have certainly driven into the box and stopped there - having first waited as the front vehicle at the lights through three full sequences, watching an empty road in front of me during every red phase and a full one during every green phase

nick205

posted on 8/8/16 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
Sad as it may be one of my biggest gripes with other drivers is the number of people driving (often pricey) cars with broken rear wiper arms. You can tell because the wiper arm (when off) should be parallel with the lower edge of the rear screen - broken ones are not parallel. A small thing, but most drivers are totally unaware of the issue or the cheap quick fix to correct it

The other annoyance is other drivers inability to acknowledge kindness with a "free" thank you hands up

SteveWalker

posted on 8/8/16 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
The other annoyance is other drivers inability to acknowledge kindness with a "free" thank you hands up

That's one of the reasons I wish they'd left our local zebra crossing, instead of replacing it with a pelican. The zebra (as well as meaning that neither drivers nor pedestrians needed to wait unnecessarily) encouraged interaction. Pedestrians usually thanked the driver for stopping and the driver usually thanked them back. Now pedestrians wait ages and then usually rush across in a gap just before the lights change, leaving an irritated driver to wait at an empty crossing. Everyone leaves that bit annoyed instead of that bit cheered up.

coyoteboy

posted on 8/8/16 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Amen to that. I have watched some seriously bad dinkers in the past and left a note on the victims car with details of the dinker in question.

It's unacceptable, un-necessary and just a lack of basic respect. A newish car with damaged doors is worth easily £1K less than one with perfect doors - I'll make damn sure I collect that from anyone leaving a mark on my car. This is also why I've fitted front and rear dash cams with parking features.

nick205

posted on 9/8/16 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

Amen to that. I have watched some seriously bad dinkers in the past and left a note on the victims car with details of the dinker in question.

It's unacceptable, un-necessary and just a lack of basic respect. A newish car with damaged doors is worth easily £1K less than one with perfect doors - I'll make damn sure I collect that from anyone leaving a mark on my car. This is also why I've fitted front and rear dash cams with parking features.

Yup - car dinkers are a grade A PITA. One of the reasons I choose to park away from others at the supermarket and other locations.

David Jenkins

posted on 9/8/16 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
Just been reminded of another irritation while out driving today - bikers who insist on hugging the white line while traveling at speed around a tight, blind right-hand corner. The head of the one I saw this afternoon must have been a good 2 foot over to my side of the road.

I'm not sure who was the most scared, him or me...

SteveWallace

posted on 9/8/16 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
Not a driver, but pedestrians and hopefully just a one off, but I was walking down our local high street the other day when an ambulance was coming through with lights flashing and siren on.

None of that stopped a mother and her young daughter walking out in front of it onto a zebra crossing, forcing it to stop hard. The look on the ambulance crews faces was of sheer, literally jaw dropping, disbelief as the two pedestrians walked at normal pace across the crossing right in front of the ambulance whilst it was forced to sit and wait (with sirens and lights still going!).

coozer

posted on 9/8/16 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
Tractors, two tractors towing caravans out of Whitby on Sunday...

Should have been this one, at least he might have been going...

There was plenty there to choose from..

Glad it wasnt this fella, wouldnt want to argue with him...

Oh, to be 16 again...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

chris

posted on 9/8/16 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
I was sat in my van one day on a street where cars were parked on one side of the street so cars wanting to pass them had to wait for a gap in the oncoming traffic so this Nissan micra comes along with a blue rinse behind the wheel gets past all the parked cars until the last one she pulls back in to soon hits the last parked car hers went up on two wheels it crashed back down and she just carried on so I swang into action followed her to her bungalow noted address make model colour reg number and the damage to her car drove back to the car she had hit and left all the details on the windscreen

Fcck2000

posted on 9/8/16 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Oh, to be 16 again...

17 years old. Swapped my rough but fast AP 50 with my mate for his lovely looking none running Fizzy. Worked out the disc valve has disintegrated, swapped for a new one. Bingo, blasted up the road outside my mums house straight into a car that pulled out on me.. I was speeding but still not a great experience :-( I now have arthritis 2 new hips and a new knee which doctors think was due to my leg being a bit out of level from when it was pinned.

Still love them though....

Tiger SSC
220bhp on standard MZR Duratec engine with throttle bodies and mild camshaft upgrade.

nick205

posted on 27/9/16 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to add to an older thread, but there's one more thing that annoys me immensely about other drivers.

Since most people have little knowledge of how a car works or is assembled they drive with little or no "mechanical sympathy".

As an example we live towards the end of a close. Habit is to drive into the close forwards past our drive and then reverse the car into the drive to park it. Our drive slopes up away from the road so this means that the car doors "fall" open without the risk of them "falling" shut and trapping a finger etc.

Now SWMBO drives in forwards and slams the car into reverse whilst still rolling forwards. You can hear and feel the car complain about this and whilst VW have no doubt spent lots of time and money making their gearboxes cope with this the fact (for me) remains that it's bad practice and puts stress on things like the gearbox and rubber engine mounts.

I've tried politely explaining the issue, but the glazed look kicks in fairly quickly. The longer term view for me will be the time and cost of dealing with knackered parts that needn't have worn out so fast.

Petty? Yes, maybe, but then I'm like that about some things!

Benzine

posted on 27/9/16 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Sorry to add to an older thread, but there's one more thing that annoys me immensely about other drivers.

Since most people have little knowledge of how a car works or is assembled they drive with little or no "mechanical sympathy".

Agreed there. There's also a problem with the exact opposite - where people think their car will fall to pieces if they take a turn into a street at more than 3mph

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 27/9/16 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
quote:

Agreed there. There's also a problem with the exact opposite - where people think their car will fall to pieces if they take a turn into a street at more than 3mph

I've seen the same people and cursed loudly to myself about them

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.