Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Driving shoes?
David Jenkins

posted on 20/4/11 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
Driving shoes?

I've been using a pair of deck shoes for driving my toy car - they're OK, but the heels are coming apart now, so I need to find some alternatives.

Trouble is, I've got size 11 feet, wide fitting, and my car is best driven with narrow feet!

I'm sure that proper driving shoes are fine, but they're expensive and look a bit poncy when you're walking about. I'm sure that people have made some recommendations in the past, but 'search' has failed me (probably not asking the right question).

So - any good recommendations? (apart from hand controls, or amputation!)

Davey D

posted on 20/4/11 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
Puma Drift Cat II are quite nice. you can get them for under £40 too. Ive got the Black/red/white version. There is a Ferrari version, but i think they look a bit poncy

Edit to say ive found them for £25 here:

http://www.branch309.co.uk/mens-White-and-Navy-PUMA-PUMA-DRIFT-CAT-II/6408471620/

[Edited on 20/4/11 by Davey D]

RazMan

posted on 20/4/11 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
I've got very wide size 10's (swmbo calls them flippers) and I have found some of the running shoes are pretty good. They are the type that have the soles moulded in so there aren't any stick-out-bits to catch on the metalwork.

*edit* a bit like the ones mentioned ^^^^^^^^ above in fact

[Edited on 20-4-11 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
pewe

posted on 20/4/11 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
David, mine are Addidas Goodyear trainers. Should find some on fleabay.
Think I spent about £45 on mine.
Most of the attributes of a proper driving shoe but practical and comfortable as well i.e soles aren't paper thin so perfectly good for day-to-day wear.
HTH.
Cheers, Pewe

Humbug

posted on 20/4/11 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Davey D
Puma Drift Cat II are quite nice. you can get them for under £40 too. Ive got the Black/red/white version. There is a Ferrari version, but i think they look a bit poncy

http://www.branch309.co.uk/mens-White-and-Navy-PUMA-PUMA-DRIFT-CAT-II/6408471620/

...in size 6 only

BenB

posted on 20/4/11 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
I use Converse all star type shoes [not boots] (although I went for the limited edition camoflage ones). They're only a very little bit bigger than my feet and what's more the geezer in the Fast and the Furious and 2 Fast 2 Furious wears them. So they must be good

http://chucksconnection.com/fastfurious.html

BigMac

posted on 20/4/11 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Davey D

Another one for Puma Drift Cats. I too have wide feet and find that any other shoes are too wide to drive the Westy comfortably. Drift Cats are surprisingly comfortable, but narrow enough to drive properly.

That said, I did buy the Ferrari ones, but that's only because I couldn't find the normals! I just ensure that I'm wearing jeans that overlap the badges, that way no one notices

norfolkluego

posted on 20/4/11 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
Get some kart boots, much cheaper than race boots as no Nomex involved and some are quite 'understated'.
OMP do a single colour kart boot with black as an option on the colours, you'd look normal (ish).

Steve Hignett

posted on 20/4/11 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
Here's a link to the Drift Cats in your size for £21

http://www.very.co.uk/puma-drift-cat-2-mens-trainers/734120134.prd?aff=google&affsrc=froogle&cm_mmc=fp_google-_-mens-_-trainers-_-J19161H+Puma +Drift+Cat+2+Mens+trainers

I've always had the Speed Cats to drive in but there up at about £60...

RoadkillUK

posted on 20/4/11 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Slippers, works for me ... actually, if I'm not at work I wear slippers

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Tommy P

posted on 20/4/11 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.street-feet.com/trainers/puma-trainers/puma-speed-cat-trainers.html

or here for £50 quid

scootz

posted on 20/4/11 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
Go bare-foot like me...

It's Evolution Baby!

Steve Hignett

posted on 20/4/11 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
You cut your nails Scott?
scootz

posted on 20/4/11 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
Not since my grinder broke...

It's Evolution Baby!

b16mts

posted on 20/4/11 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
I have some OMP kart boots in size 13, tis the only way i can hit only 1 pedal at once!

who says you can't drive a kit car when you're 6'5"?

dhutch

posted on 20/4/11 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by norfolkluego
Get some kart boots, much cheaper than race boots as no Nomex involved and some are quite 'understated'.
OMP do a single colour kart boot with black as an option on the colours, you'd look normal (ish).

I have some i got for £10 of ebay, no brand name, take a moment to do up but very comfortable for a long drive. I also have some speed cats i paided £30 for of ebay, look cracking (all black with a white embroidered puma silhouette) and can be slipped on and off in favor for work or skate shoes once you get there. Only mistake is i bought a size to small as thats what they had in that design.

Daniel

Kwik

posted on 20/4/11 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pewe
David, mine are Addidas Goodyear trainers. Should find some on fleabay.
Think I spent about £45 on mine.
Most of the attributes of a proper driving shoe but practical and comfortable as well i.e soles aren't paper thin so perfectly good for day-to-day wear.
HTH.
Cheers, Pewe

i have these too, got them in TK max about a year back, have lasted fine and theyre my "im going out round the corner, wheres my shoes" shoes. i use them daily and even for footie. highly recommended as i normally get through shoes in a matter of months, but theyse have great feel, comfortable for walking and arnt wide, i also have a pair of flippers and size 11, and drive a mini with pedals very close, so i can see where your coming from.

i have also found converse style shoes very very good, but only if theyre narrow ish, but then they last about a month, so im sticking to the Adidas ones.

James

posted on 20/4/11 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
Hi-tec squash shoes worked well for me. Light, nice grippy rubber sole and the sole goes quite high up the back of your ankle.

Have loads of old pairs as it's what we practise in for Savate (Savate boots cost ~£120 and last about 10minutes!).

I used to buy Hi-tech squash for about £17. Not sure on the post-credit crunch price!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

speedstar

posted on 21/4/11 at 07:08 AM Reply With Quote
Converse all stars - thin soled and flexible, and don't make you look like a Type R driver in the pub
David Jenkins

posted on 21/4/11 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
Hmm - some good ideas here... now it's decision time...

(trouble is - normally I hate trainers - but it looks like they're going to be the best choice for driving)

contaminated

posted on 21/4/11 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
I can't believe I've missed this thread until now. I am well known for my gay shoes - Puma Drift Cat in red and white with Ferrari badges. I thank you!

Tiger Super Six Independent
www.southernkitcars.com

Ninehigh

posted on 22/4/11 at 03:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by contaminated
I can't believe I've missed this thread until now. I am well known for my gay shoes - Puma Drift Cat in red and white with Ferrari badges. I thank you!

Didn't know gays had their own shoes!

RazMan

posted on 22/4/11 at 07:12 AM Reply With Quote

[Edited on 22-4-11 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

chrisbeale

posted on 22/4/11 at 07:27 AM Reply With Quote
im a size 12, and big shoes and close pedals dont work for me,
i have some simmilar to these to drive in, i've had them years, theyve done me well, for walking around in too and very comfy.
cant argue at the price either.
http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-summit-traveler-mens-186071

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.