Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: SORN and tax changes (good news)
matt_claydon

posted on 3/12/13 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
SORN and tax changes (good news)

Just a heads-up. From 16th December the rules are changing so that SORN no longer has to be annually renewed, and insurance no longer has to be provided at the time of buying VED (tax disc).

Note that you still have to take out a new SORN if the registered keeper changes.

SORN:
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/2909/pdfs/uksi_20132909_en.pdf
quote:
Regulation 4 alters provisions relating to statutory off-road notifications. Schedule 4 is amended to remove the requirement to have to annually make a statutory off-road notification; once a statutory off-road notification is made it will have effect indefinitely, until such time as a vehicle licence or nil licence is taken out for that vehicle. In the event the vehicle keeper of an unlicensed vehicle is changed, and the new vehicle keeper wishes to keep the vehicle unlicensed, the new vehicle keeper will have to make a new statutory off-road notification.

VED:
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/2904/pdfs/uksi_20132904_en.pdf
quote:
These Regulations amend the Motor Vehicles (Third Party Risks) Regulations 1972 to remove the requirement to produce evidence of motor insurance or comparable surety when applying for a vehicle excise licence. This requirement is set out in regulation 9(1) of the Motor Vehicles (Third Party Risks) Regulations 1972, and exceptions to it are set out in regulations 9(2), 9(3) and 9(4).

steve m

posted on 3/12/13 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
The first one makes sense, and should of been that way since it was first introduced

The second one, is farcical and will mean more uninsured cars on the road, "as its not required for the tax disc renewal"
assuming ive read it properly

Steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

matt_gsxr

posted on 3/12/13 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
The first one makes sense, and should of been that way since it was first introduced

The second one, is farcical and will mean more uninsured cars on the road, "as its not required for the tax disc renewal"
assuming ive read it properly

Steve

+1

big_wasa

posted on 3/12/13 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
I read it as no longer needing to produce evidence of insurance.

That's because the information will all be available to them on the computer.

steve m

posted on 3/12/13 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, you could be right, im assuming if your applying at a post office, as online is electronic anyway
as is the MOT

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

r1_pete

posted on 3/12/13 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa

Thats how I understand it, when you tax onluine, a check is made, same check will be made by Joe Postie over the counter.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
paulf

posted on 3/12/13 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
When I taxed mine at the start of the year the I took in the v62 or whatever it is form and mot and insurance was told that I didnt need the form or insurance details as it was all on the computer nowadays, maybe they were a bit ahead of them selves in my local post office.
Paul

loggyboy

posted on 3/12/13 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa

Thats how I understand it, when you tax onluine, a check is made, same check will be made by Joe Postie over the counter.

I would suspect this is exactly the case. The wording isnt changed so you dont need insurance, only that you dont need documentatry evidence.
Only (for what ever reason, just renewed etc) when you may not yet be on the MID that you will need to provide the evidence.

Mistral Motorsport

bimbleuk

posted on 3/12/13 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
Easy way to stop fake and cancelled insurance certificates being presented at the PO.
carpmart

posted on 3/12/13 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
This has peed me off even more as I got fined for not renewing a SORN for the third year ontime! AAAAGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=186283

[Edited on 3/12/13 by carpmart]

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

britishtrident

posted on 3/12/13 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
Make no mistake this isn't to save us trouble it is because the DVLA is understaffed and in chaos.

Sorn should been introduced with two levels; a short term for taking a vehicle of the road for a few weeks or months and long term for cars off the road for extended periods. The fine for getting caught on the road untaxed with long term sorn be twice that of a short term.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

unijacko67

posted on 3/12/13 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
If I sorn my car then trailer it to a trackday is that allowed as you have to say where its being sorned. Sorry if a bit off topic.

http://www.kittenkitcar.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 3/12/13 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by unijacko67
If I sorn my car then trailer it to a trackday is that allowed as you have to say where its being sorned. Sorry if a bit off topic.

That is why you should tape over or remove the number plates while the car is being trailered.

[/I]

bi22le

posted on 3/12/13 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
quote:

That is why you should tape over or remove the number plates while the car is being trailered.

Ahhh.

Good question and a sensible answer. I like!!

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

unijacko67

posted on 3/12/13 at 11:23 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, well if having it sorn means I can't legally take it out on a trailer, what happens about insurance if someone runs into the trailer. It really pisses me off, some crazy rule. I don't want to sneak about taking number plate off as I'm not breaking the law (in my opinion) or driving on the road. I'm not having a rant by the way, just think the UK has just gone mad, they could solve the road tax proper by just adding an amount to fuel and scrapping the road tax.

britishtrident

posted on 3/12/13 at 11:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Ok, well if having it sorn means I can't legally take it out on a trailer, what happens about insurance if someone runs into the trailer. It really pisses me off, some crazy rule. I don't want to sneak about taking number plate off as I'm not breaking the law (in my opinion) or driving on the road. I'm not having a rant by the way, just think the UK has just gone mad, they could solve the road tax proper by just adding an amount to fuel and scrapping the road tax.

The problem with replacing road tax revenue with extra fuel duty is it unfairly affects people in rural areas with no access to public transport.

[/I]

unijacko67

posted on 4/12/13 at 12:03 AM Reply With Quote
So little old lady, 300 miles a year, has car to travel into the country to see relatives a few times a year pays same as an insurance rep who does 60k plus a year. It's totally wrong, but what the hell. I have three vehicles, but the van and kitten are taxed and insured for me only to drive, I cant drive them both at once so thats also wrong. Its also called road tax not sat in the garage and drive and road tax.

chrism

posted on 4/12/13 at 12:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Its perfectly legal to have a sorned vehicle on a trailer, as long as none of its own wheels are touching the road so no towing dollies. The only dodgy bit would be if you didnt have a drive to put the car on the trailer and had to use the road.

----------------------------
A little hard work never killed anyone, but why take the risk!
-----------------------------

chrism

posted on 4/12/13 at 12:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
So little old lady, 300 miles a year, has car to travel into the country to see relatives a few times a year pays same as an insurance rep who does 60k plus a year. It's totally wrong, but what the hell. I have three vehicles, but the van and kitten are taxed and insured for me only to drive, I cant drive them both at once so thats also wrong. Its also called road tax not sat in the garage and drive and road tax.

Have you seen how much tax we actually pay on petrol it something crazy like 80p per litre currently, so we practically do this already anyway.

----------------------------
A little hard work never killed anyone, but why take the risk!
-----------------------------

unijacko67

posted on 4/12/13 at 12:47 AM Reply With Quote
Great news, thanks. That makes a lot more sense.

Yeah taxed to death already on fuel.

[Edited on 4/12/13 by unijacko67]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.