Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cooling for my supercharger
Sierra

posted on 3/1/14 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
Cooling for my supercharger

Hi all over these winter months I would really like to find a way of adding cooling to my supercharger setup. Currently I have a blacktop with m45 supercharger but no cooler. The supercharger is bolted directly to the plenum so I would have to flip it 180, get a new plenum/inlet and custom pipe work.
Questions are
-will I loose pressure by having a run of hoses from charger to intercooler than to plenum as oppose to direct connection as it is now?
-is there such thing as a water cooler that could sandwich between my plenum and charger?
-am I better off having water/meth injection straight into my plenum on current setup?

Ignore the current air filter position as this is changing.
As you can imagine I don't have much room but need to sort cooling out as supercharger is not being used to full potential.

Many thanks

mark chandler

posted on 3/1/14 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
You will lose a little pressure, however the gain in power will more than offset this, especially when you start running it hard.

You can get air to water intercoolers or even make one, get a small air intercooler and case it, you then need a front rad and pump.

[Edited on 3/1/14 by mark chandler]

Sierra

posted on 3/1/14 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
I have looked but can't find a sandwich type cooler.
Also how does it work with pressure going through radiator type fins, surely that kills it as oppose to no restriction.

BaileyPerformance

posted on 3/1/14 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
Just out of interest what boost are you seeing now and what power does it make?

Also, what engine management have you got?

In the ideal world you would use a front mounted air to air cooler, but pipe work would be a pain with your setup.

Sandwich type units are available that go between the charger and the inlet manifold, as part of a charge cooler setup with a pump and a separate rad.

The other option is water injection

www.baileyperformance.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Sierra

posted on 3/1/14 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
It's currently at 6psi and 175 at the wheels.
Water/meth is an option but I'm worried about constantly having to refill and possible completely running out on long runs

BaileyPerformance

posted on 3/1/14 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
so thats about 195-200 at the engine, well down for 6psi - as you say the charge temp is probably the issue.

we just fitted water injection on a Porsche 944 (already fitted with an eaton M90) it allowed use to advance the timing under boost to release more power, depending on your ECU you can setup to redard the timing back to a safe setting id the charge temp goes high or you run out of water.

A 1/2 gallon water tank will last a long time, depends on your driving as it should be setup to only inject at say 4PSI. Most of the time you will be driving off boost.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Sierra

posted on 3/1/14 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info, it's running off an omex 500.
So do you reckon water/meth on its own will be sufficient or should I really look into a sandwich type charge cooler.
Just trying to work out if loosing pressure through hoses/cooler will be better or worse than just cooling the air with water/meth with charger directly connected as is.

BaileyPerformance

posted on 3/1/14 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
The omex should be fine, we use megasquirt as its has duel ignition tables - one for water, one without, switched by a water pressure switch or water tank level.

I'm sure Omex will have something similar.

Charge cooler sandwich plate will be better than water, but water is simple to install and cheap. The kits we have used are from Snow Performance.

beaver34

posted on 3/1/14 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
i wouldn't solely want to rely on water injection unless there was a fail safe for pump failure or an empty tank as it could quickly be then end of the engine

what about clearing all the stuff of the front of the scuttle and running a small inter cool fed by a bonnet vent there, then no need to reverse the inlet not ideal but cost effective, a mr2 turbo cooler is small enough to go there

other than that if it were me i would go front mount like my setup is

BaileyPerformance

posted on 3/1/14 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by beaver34
i wouldn't solely want to rely on water injection unless there was a fail safe for pump failure or an empty tank as it could quickly be then end of the engine

what about clearing all the stuff of the front of the scuttle and running a small inter cool fed by a bonnet vent there, then no need to reverse the inlet not ideal but cost effective, a mr2 turbo cooler is small enough to go there

Are you suggesting the intercooler can be piped into the supercharger not after it???

The engine will not be damaged if the water system fails, that's why you need a duel ignition map so the retarded map is used if you run out of water or the pump fails.

richardm6994

posted on 3/1/14 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
surely an intercooler before the supercharger wil be doing next to nothing benifical?????? assuming you've got a good cold air feed to your charger (which it looks like you have)....then the intercooler before the charger will have an "air-to-air" temp difference of zero.... and so no heat transfer can take place.......basic physics?

After the charger is where you need to position the intercooler.......

Sierra

posted on 3/1/14 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah as said intercooler would have to go between charger and plenum otherwise it would be pointless. Another thing has sprung to mind which is, wouldn't the charge cooler sandwiched between charger and plenum get very hot from the heat produced by the charger? This would mean the cooler would constantly be hot and trying to cool itself.
Volvorsport

posted on 3/1/14 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
pipe it into a normal intercooler , specify a modern bar and fin type and you wont get much pressure drop across it .

having to retard timing under boost because of charge temperature robs quite a bit of power and also means lots more fuel consumption , adding fuel being a means of lowering peak cylinder temps....

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

Sierra

posted on 3/1/14 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
Any idea what plenum/inlet, tb can be used?
Also what's your thoughts on the charge cooler getting hot sandwiched? If it's been designed to fit there then it might work better than I think

beaver34

posted on 3/1/14 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BaileyPerformance
quote:
Originally posted by beaver34

Are you suggesting the intercooler can be piped into the supercharger not after it???

The engine will not be damaged if the water system fails, that's why you need a duel ignition map so the retarded map is used if you run out of water or the pump fails.

Getting confused with a turbo setup sorry

I said unless it had a fail safe, if it does then it's fair enough how does the omex 500 know what ignition map to use on this setup based on if the pump is working or spraying water?

theduck

posted on 3/1/14 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
top mount intercooler and a bonnet vent?
Sierra

posted on 3/1/14 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
Not really an option as it's the limited space for pipe work that's the issue, if it wasn't I'd go for front mount. I've emailed a few companies about a sandwich type charge cooler so will see what they come back with.
Sierra

posted on 4/1/14 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
I've had a good look at the car today and there is absolutely no way I can sandwich in a charge cooler as there is no room at all. This would mean completely changing the setup with new inlet/plenum, brackets for supercharger and pipe work for intercooler. Also engine out to do all the work so could add up to a lot of money.
I may give the water/meth a go and see what happens.

I've also taken my induction hose off and fitted a 90' pipe to show where the new air filter will go which should hopefully feed the engine colder air

jeffw

posted on 4/1/14 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
Make sure you plumb the Fuel Pressure Regulator to the Plenum feed for the MAP sensor.

T66

posted on 4/1/14 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
I have a £80 eBay special chargecooler, lies bracketed across the chassis, they are fairly compact and can be mounted anywhere you have room. It would need a small radiator in airflow somewhere, and an electric pump.

My own view is your better off reducing intake temps to avoid knock and improving performance , than relying on water & meth with retarded timing.

Sierra

posted on 4/1/14 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
It's not the room for the cooler that I'll have trouble with its positioning the supercharger so I can run the adaptor sand pipe work off it without having to completely redesign the engine as I can imagine that'll be very costly
T66

posted on 4/1/14 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sierra
It's not the room for the cooler that I'll have trouble with its positioning the supercharger so I can run the adaptor sand pipe work off it without having to completely redesign the engine as I can imagine that'll be very costly

I had a quick look on ebay for chargecoolers, and there is a Scooby one and a Toyota one. Both are designed to sit on top of the engine, is there no way you could sit it on top ? The pipe runs would be short, no idea of the 2 coolers dimensions and whether they would be too high, how about a cooler like mine laid on its side, lying outside the bodyshell & bracketed to the chassis rails.

Is the supercharger fitted yet or not ?

Sierra

posted on 4/1/14 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for your help but it's not the space for the cooler that's the issue, it's the having to completely change the one side of the engine setup as my current inlet/plenum, supercharger would have to be taken off which can't be done without the engine coming out. I haven't had a quote yet but can imagine it'll be quite costly.
froggy

posted on 4/1/14 at 11:48 PM Reply With Quote
I can't see clearly from the pictures but it looks like your throttle is in front of the supercharger so any cooler placed after will increase plenum volume and could affect throttle response . Based on the weight of a chargecooler system I would go for water meth spray into the charger body , I had my system spraying into the charger and it gives the extra benefit of cooling the charger case as well as the air in it .

A 2gallon tank will last a while based on your power level and no need to touch your mapping as you will gain some power based on your current map set up with higher charge temps .

[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r187/froggy_0[IMG]

bimbleuk

posted on 5/1/14 at 06:42 AM Reply With Quote
Not saying this is an especially cheap or easy solution but due to your space issues you would want to build some Laminova cores into your existing air box.

Then you need the additional plumbing for the rad etc. of course.

Here's the very neat solution on the GT86 Innovate/Sprintex supercharger kit. You can buy the kit without the Laminova core and plumbing initially then upgrade later. The core simply slots in the initially empty plenum.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.