Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fibreglass moulding using tape.
40inches

posted on 12/1/14 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
Fibreglass moulding using tape.

Interesting video using fibreglass casting tape

Can be purchased here eBay

Krismc

posted on 12/1/14 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
Lets order some and have a go, simple ideas are always the best!

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

Smoking Frog

posted on 12/1/14 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
Nice idea. I also used some flexible ducting covered in brown parcel tape and then applied fibreglass. The tape helps to keep the shape and creates a non stick barrier. The inside is never as good as the video though.
40inches

posted on 12/1/14 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Smoking Frog
Nice idea. I also used some flexible ducting covered in brown parcel tape and then applied fibreglass. The tape helps to keep the shape and creates a non stick barrier. The inside is never as good as the video though.

From what I can see from the video, the tape doesn't adhere to whatever it's wrapped around. I think I will buy some and experiment a little

Volvorsport

posted on 12/1/14 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
masking tape......

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

mark chandler

posted on 12/1/14 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
Just wrap the former in cling film, lovely shiny finish then
bimbleuk

posted on 12/1/14 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
I've got 10 rolls arriving tomorrow as I thought that method looked far too interesting to not have some on the shelf!

I've got a mind to make the plenums on my LS1 if I go for ITBs.

unijacko67

posted on 12/1/14 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
Is the tape expensive and where have you ordered it from, I need to alter my intake so could be just the job.

http://www.kittenkitcar.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
40inches

posted on 12/1/14 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by unijacko67
Is the tape expensive and where have you ordered it from, I need to alter my intake so could be just the job.

eBay link under video in first post. Not at all expensive

unijacko67

posted on 12/1/14 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
quote:
Originally posted by unijacko67

eBay link under video in first post. Not at all expensive

Sorry, I missed link, should have gone to spec savers eh. Just trying to come up with an idea as to how to make a quick and easy mould now. Wrapping flexible pipe with parcel tape could work. Cheers.

http://www.kittenkitcar.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bi22le

posted on 12/1/14 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
3" wide tape here from the same seller mentioned in the OP

3" wide casting tape

My concerns with this method would be:

1) If you can make the buck from nice metal tube then you have done the job
2) It has holes in it so you will have to use lots of tape to make sure every little hole is covered with another layer
3) sliding or fitting fixings that are a standard size to each end may be a problem as well as getting a good seal.

I do have answers for these thought!!

1) depending on the shape you want to acheive you could use expanding foam \ polystyrene block and shave to shape, cover with parcel tape \ duct tape. When set rip, poke and push the softer insides out.

2) Create a thin single layer, then wrap the whole thing again using parcel tape \ duct tape to create a air tight membrane, then rewrap a second layer of casting tape. This will create a strong and air tight cast.

3) Not sure how to solve this!! Ideas??

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

BenB

posted on 12/1/14 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
I wonder which hospital that fell off the back of! lol!
bimbleuk

posted on 13/1/14 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
So now I have a box of the stuff and just over 2 years to think of a use for it before it goes off!

big_wasa

posted on 24/1/14 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
Also available in red but I was amazed at how little mess there was and how quick it cured

mcerd1

posted on 24/1/14 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
Also available in red but I was amazed at how little mess there was and how quick it cured

hope your heals quicker than mine (19 weeks + for mine )

I only got offered white ones - must be the nhs cutting back...
yuck!
yuck!

if you soak the tape in hot water it cures much, much faster ! (about 1min instead of 10min)
not so hot that you burn your hands mind
I'm told its best to do a few cold ones first and when your getting good/quick at it then you can try a hot one

I was used as an example for training a junior doctor - somehow I never thought I'd be able to use this knowledge on a car...

[Edited on 24/1/2014 by mcerd1]

-

mcerd1

posted on 24/1/14 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
My concerns with this method would be:

1) If you can make the buck from nice metal tube then you have done the job
2) It has holes in it so you will have to use lots of tape to make sure every little hole is covered with another layer
3) sliding or fitting fixings that are a standard size to each end may be a problem as well as getting a good seal.

I do have answers for these thought!!

1) depending on the shape you want to acheive you could use expanding foam polystyrene block and shave to shape, cover with parcel tape duct tape. When set rip, poke and push the softer insides out.

2) Create a thin single layer, then wrap the whole thing again using parcel tape duct tape to create a air tight membrane, then rewrap a second layer of casting tape. This will create a strong and air tight cast.

3) Not sure how to solve this!! Ideas??

1 - in the video they are only making these to replace the metal ones in an effort to reduce weight and thermal conductivity (to reduce heat soak - the cars in the video's all have big turbo setups, so that means lots of heat under the bonnet)

2 - wrapping with a second layer of any kind of tape is unlikely to be good enough for the sorts of pressures / vacuums.
As per the video it'll need liquid resin and more layers of glass or carbon to make it airtight and strong enough

even once the tape has cured its still got a little flex in it, after my experience of it last year it needs at least a double layer to have any rigidity and even then its still got asome 'spring' in it - its ideal to use as a former that gets left in situ though

3 - the best way to make it fit standard pipes would be to bond in pre-made metal or plastic ends

-

big_wasa

posted on 24/1/14 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote

Thanks I hope so or I am screwed good look with yours...

slingshot2000

posted on 24/1/14 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Ohhh dear, what have you guys been up to ?

Hope you are both fixed soon, as they both appear to be your important (drinking/playing/working/w4nking)hands !

Regards
Jon

big_wasa

posted on 24/1/14 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
you missed wiping your ***** hand
mcerd1

posted on 25/1/14 at 12:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

mines all healed now - well it seems to be anyway...

it was a mid waist fracture of the scaphoid, which is a slow one anyway and mine turned out to be extra slow
(half as long again as all the other folk in the same clinic as me and I don't even smoke!)

I was in plaster for ~12/13 weeks then a splint after that
I even ended up paying for CT scan so I wouldn't have to wait for the NHS to do it - turned out to be a total waste of a scan too as it didn't show much more than the x-rays
at 19 weeks they told me I could take the splint off part of the time and I could drive again

but it was about 4 weeks after that before the last x-rays and that showed it was about 95% healed
so they said it it'd be fine now and don't come back.... so I've never seen an x-ray without the break in it

just to make it extra difficult I had a broken ankle at the same time, but that was nothing as it was healed in 6 weeks

hopefully your luckier than me though

[Edited on 25/1/2014 by mcerd1]

-

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.