Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: V6 airbox help
DIY Si

posted on 14/4/14 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
V6 airbox help

Once again, I'm thinking ahead a bit to where I'll hopefully be in a few weeks with my car. And that will be the point where I have my engine sat in the shell and starting to eye things up for the rest of the engine install. Most of it is sorted, but one thing that I have been contemplating is air filters and/or air box.

I'm fitting a V6 with ITBs which sit inclined to the engine, and inclined towards each other. They sit like this on the heads, but have trumpets to add yet:

And the engine will sit pretty much like this in the car, leaving not a lot of room above it. Ignore the straight edge, it lies across the wheel arch tops. Also ignore all the over spray.

Which leaves me with a bit of an issue. I don't want individual filters, but I am unsure how to best fit a filter(s) to what I've got. I could try to do a filter per bank, but the trumpets overlap slightly down the centre of the engine. I could try to fit one big filter, but the base will need to be V shaped. I could make an airbox and have a remote filter.

Having the filters on the engine would look better, but it's going to be a PITA to do I suspect, unless I can get a matching pair of filters made with an S shaped inner edge so they line up down the centre of the engine. I'm not sure how I would go about trying to fit one large filter and make it airtight. But if I can make a base plate for it, is it going to be any harder than making an air box?

Given that this is going in a Sprite, and not a kit car, I'd really like to keep as much on show as possible. But if you guys reckon it's going to be loads and loads of hassle, then I'll have to look at making an air box of some kind.

What are your thoughts on this?

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

clairetoo

posted on 14/4/14 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
The airbox / filter issue is something I have been looking at for my Mx5 setups for a while - and I think I may have finally made progress
I've made some very short trumpets to gain as much space above as possible , and am in the proces of working out how to mount the fuel rails with peco-style short injectors (these sit the rails level with the top of the bodies and allow a much larger , simpler airbox )
The idea is to have as large an aibox as possible within the space , with ducts off either side running forward to two cone filters , somewhere cool air is available.......

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

DIY Si

posted on 15/4/14 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
That's pretty much the set up I've been thinking about, although I would still prefer filters over an air box. A wide low-ish box with possibly a large forward air feed, possibly a pair into the outer sides. The trumpets I've got will be cut down a fair bit, as they're a pretty good fit into the throttle bodies so they can go on after the air box is fitted, which should help simplify fitting what ever I end up making.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

bimbleuk

posted on 15/4/14 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
For pure show then ram pipes with fine mesh dome caps. look on Demon Tweeks for Aldon Auto mesh ram pipe filters. Like all the pre-made stuff they aren't cheap. I made my own ram pipes from 52mm drain pipe heat formed over a mandrel.

For the air box apart from the normal front fed type I was considering an air box on each bank of my LS1 but with a flat panel filter on top sealed to the bonnet. You could have one common one on top of yours. Though I guess your setup is sticking out the bonnet?

As it was, due to wanting to pass drive by noise regs. I went for a conventional air box each side fed by a 90mm duct. My inlets cross over the engine almost horizontally.

[Edited on 15-4-14 by bimbleuk]

DIY Si

posted on 15/4/14 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
Until I get the engine sat back in the shell, and try to fit the flip front, I don't know if it'll stick through the bonnet or not. I suspect it will, but I've no idea by how much. I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

clairetoo

posted on 4/5/14 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
I got my `new' throttle bodies sorted and fitted yesterday , and the end result is.......loads of space above for a massive airbox .
The most likely layout is a box with two pipes at the rear , pointing sideways , then 90 degree elbows to ducting placing twin cone filters one behind each headlight .
At least , thats the current plan.........

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

DIY Si

posted on 7/5/14 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
That looks encouraging, but I've no idea how it'll compare to my Sprite. Although I am finally getting somewhere with it. I'm hoping to be able to put the front end on it at some point this week.

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.