Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: odyssey pc 680 battery longevity
02GF74

posted on 9/12/15 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
odyssey pc 680 battery longevity

How many years use could one expect from an odyssey pc 680 battery?

Car is hardly used (lets say 10 drives a year) but battery is disconnected by battery cout off switch.... and no it doesnt get trickle charged.

Was showing 12.45 v. Stuck it on a charger that after a few mins dropped to measure charge current of 0.7a, ..... doesnt seem right somehow..... new battery time i think.

Anybody used enduroline equivalent, is £17 cheaper.

britishtrident

posted on 9/12/15 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
How many years use could one expect from an odyssey pc 680 battery?

Car is hardly used (lets say 10 drives a year) but battery is disconnected by battery cout off switch.... and no it doesnt get trickle charged.

Was showing 12.45 v. Stuck it on a charger that after a few mins dropped to measure charge current of 0.7a, ..... doesnt seem right somehow..... new battery time i think.

Anybody used enduroline equivalent, is £17 cheaper.

Charge the battery for several hours, then let it rest overnight and do a cranking voltage test.
Anything over 10.1 volts when cold cranking the engine is good, but it won't give you any indication of the remaining amp hours capacity left in the battery.

[Edited on 9/12/15 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

russbost

posted on 9/12/15 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
Typical lead acid battery will lose around 10 - 15% charge every month just standing on a shelf, if the car's not getting used regularly one of our li-ion units would probably be only a touch dearer than the PC680 & they don't even drop 5% standing for a year, they should also last around 2000 cycles rather than typical lead acid at 300 -500

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
perksy

posted on 9/12/15 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
The Odyssey doesn't like a constant load eg Immobilizer and when they go flat they don't tend to recover very well in my experience

Been hearing good things about Li-ion batteries

jeffw

posted on 9/12/15 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
I replaced the PC680 in my car with a Li-ion unit from Russ...I haven't touched it in 3 -4 weeks and I can guarantee I could walk out to the garage and it will start on the button. They are very good and 6Kg lighter !

britishtrident

posted on 9/12/15 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
One point that hasn't been mentioned is battery voltage is greatly affected by temperature

A fully charged battery at 22c will show just under 12.65 volts, a 75 percent charged battery 12.45 volts
At 5c these voltages drop to 12.6 volts and 12.4 volts.

A modern plastic case lead-acid battery in good conditioning with zero load will suffer from about 3 to 5 percent loss of charge per month from self-discharge. You may see higher numbers quoted but things have moved on.

Modern tintops discharge have parked-up parasitic current drains of 30 to 80mA so leaving one unused for more than 14 days or so could lead to problems.

Modern way to test a lead-acid battery is to use a battery analyser, I have a Ring brand one that gives estimated charge capacity cold cranking amps and remaining percentage life of the battery.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

The Black Flash

posted on 9/12/15 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by perksy
The Odyssey doesn't like a constant load eg Immobilizer and when they go flat they don't tend to recover very well in my experience

Been hearing good things about Li-ion batteries

Ditto this. Mine was in the car for a couple of years while I built it, then I used it for a year and the battery died

v8kid

posted on 9/12/15 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
I've had mine 6 years and it starts first press of button. However it is trickle charged approx 50% of the time ( when I remember)

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
big-vee-twin

posted on 9/12/15 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
According to Odyssey the battery will hold a full charge for two years without loosing any charge.

They definitely do not like being fully discharged

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

TheGecko

posted on 10/12/15 at 02:41 AM Reply With Quote
As others have said, Odyssey's do NOT like being fully discharged. A mate with a lightly used Locost here has so far killed 2 of them with the drain from the immobiliser He's now taken to doing what a LOT of other Odyysey users here in Oz do - using a Ctek intelligent charger to keep the battery topped off while the car is parked up. Ctek also make a nice little dash mount socket, complete with status lights, so you can plug the charger in without even lifting the bonnet.

I'm not a salesman for Ctek - just reporting on the success others have had with them.

Dominic

russbost

posted on 10/12/15 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
No batteries like being fully discharged, even traction batteries & I would be the first to admit that one small downside of Li-ion units is that their actual storage capacity for a given CCA current is lower than a similar CCA lead acid, hence always best to trickle charge if there are constant drains like immobiliser/alarm etc.

With most kit cars, once you turn the ignition off there is nothing to drain the battery as very few of us have alarms/immobilisers, in that situation the Li-ion will outlast the lead acid many times over

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
JMW

posted on 10/12/15 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
My previous PC680 lasted 9 years. Was totally discharged once. I used it 10/12 events a year, on an Optimate conditioner the rest of the time. No problems until the end. Replacement working fine also, bpught in 2012 for £92.
02GF74

posted on 10/12/15 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe its not as bad as i thought. Had it on charge yesterday until 9 pm then again this moirning and it was able to turn engine over with no sign of ffading so cant be totally knackered.

On charge again, will see if it holds charge. Need to looiik at points as getting no spark. If lead to spark amp is earthed then there is a spark. Probably need cleaning as there is a gap.. . anyway thats tkmorrows task.

02GF74

posted on 17/12/15 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
Hmm battery seems to have kept enough charge a was able to turn engine over briskly after being left a few days.

Points needed a clean with wet n dry to get a spark, weird i thought they were carbon so would not oxidise, seemingly not.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.