Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Don't I exist !
nick-york

posted on 6/9/17 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
Don't I exist !

Hi all .I was out for the weekend in the kit about a week ago .we parked up in this Car park which had number plate recognition cameras .You had to put your registration number in the pay meter just before you leave to pay .well when we were about to go we did this and the machine said number not recognised and we had to type in our arrival time so it could work out how much we had to pay ! We were honest but could of put any time in we wanted really ! Our registration number is stuck on top of the number plate in a sticker fashion .anybody else had this experience?

[Edited on 6/9/17 by nick-york]

ken555

posted on 6/9/17 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick-york
Hi all .I was out for the weekend in the kit about a week ago .we parked up in this Car park which had number plate recognition cameras .You had to put your registration number in the pay meter just before you leave to pay .well when we were about to go we did this and the machine said number not recognised and we had to type in our arrival time so it could work out how much we had to pay ! We were honest but could of put any time in we wanted really ! Our registration number is stuck on top of the number plate in a sticker fashion .anybody else had this experience?

[Edited on 6/9/17 by nick-york]

Filling station on the M6 wouldn't let me have petrol, as the camera on the forecourt couldn't read the number on the front of the car.
But its a stick on plate, on top of the bonnet so I assumed that was the problem.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dingz

posted on 6/9/17 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
I believe it's technically illegal to have that style of no. plate, its supposed to be on a vertical surface so you could fail the mot if the garage wanted to, perhaps best just to keep quiet.

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

nick205

posted on 7/9/17 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dingz
I believe it's technically illegal to have that style of no. plate, its supposed to be on a vertical surface so you could fail the mot if the garage wanted to, perhaps best just to keep quiet.

My understanding too - the need to have a vertical no. plate conforming to certain standards (font type, font size, font spacing, reflectivity etc).

That said my Dad has an E-Type on which the front no. plate is a sticker on top of the bonnet (neither vertical or horizontal, but curved on the bonnet). He's not encountered any issues in car parks, petrol stations, MoT or police. That said I believe the no. plate is done the way Jaguar did it when they made the car - perhaps old enough to avoid later legalities.

One more point. My MK Indy carried a smaller than normal front no. plate. Never had any issues with this, including MoT. No one ever questioned it...

swanny

posted on 7/9/17 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
mine is a stuck on kind too, i'd always thought of using the defense of A. being nice. B saying its the most vertical surface i could find! C. if i put a number plate under the nose cone i'll smash it off on every speed bump.
benchmark51

posted on 7/9/17 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
I use stick on plates as we have had a spate of petrol thieves nicking plates. To remove the stick on's you destroy them so they get left alone.
WallerZero

posted on 7/9/17 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
I have a stick on plate on the front nosecone. My defence is always "kept ripping the front one off on speed bumps which destroyed a nosecone - this is the next best thing I can think of, officer" and then apologise profusely if he disagrees and hope he lets me go home to "investigate other options". That being said, 3 years, no issues

http://zachsgbszero.blogspot.co.uk/

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 7/9/17 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
Surely an (almost) horizontal sticker plate (of the correct size/font) is no worse than the vanity plates on display with miss-spaced and 'altered' letters/numbers depicting something that is only of interest to the driver.
Plates that swing on chain(s) at the rear of HGV's, trailer plates that (if present) don't match the towing vehicle.... etc. etc. etc.

I had no issues with a horizontal sticker on the nosecone, BUT, a (slightly) smaller plate on the motorcycle has been an instant stop by bored policemen. Always reassuring that such criminals like myself are being watched.

adithorp

posted on 7/9/17 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a stick on front plate and it was recently read by the Dartford crossing cameras. I know because I got a letter saying I hadn't payed a couple of weeks later. I've also seen it on a petrol station cctv monitor along with the computer read number below.

There's no BSI marked stick on plates available... and to be legal they have to be BSI marked. However I have had a chat with a traffic cop when we just happened to be parked next to each other and he wanted to know about the car; Only comment about the No plate was "That sort of plate looks good on the right sort of car".

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Paul_Arion

posted on 7/9/17 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
Official regulations state that a registration plate should be fixed vertically or where that is not reasonably practicable then in a position as close to the vertical as is reasonably practical. I'll be putting a sticker on my own car as there's no practical alternative anyway.
steve m

posted on 8/9/17 at 06:57 AM Reply With Quote
I have mentioned before, that my MOT er, has always passed my car as the rules say that the plates mus be readable and of the correct sizing, and mine is/has always been so
Its been on the road 18 years now, and 24k miles, and NEVER had anyone complain

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

tims31

posted on 8/9/17 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp

There's no BSI marked stick on plates available... and to be legal they have to be BSI marked.

I managed to get some road legal BSI marked stick on plates from DMB Graphics http://www.dmb.uk.com/cat/156/road-legal-number-plates Top quality and with the correct BSI and Postcode markings on. They also put a border around mine as requested.

Description
Description

Build: http://www.martinsfurybuild.co.uk/

adithorp

posted on 8/9/17 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tims31
quote:

There's no BSI marked stick on plates available... and to be legal they have to be BSI marked.

I managed to get some road legal BSI marked stick on plates from DMB Graphics http://www.dmb.uk.com/cat/156/road-legal-number-plates Top quality and with the correct BSI and Postcode markings on. They also put a border around mine as requested.

Description
Description

That's a result. Are you going to give it a run out the Blyton on Sunday and let us have a look.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

tims31

posted on 8/9/17 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by tims31
quote:

Description
Description

That's a result. Are you going to give it a run out the Blyton on Sunday and let us have a look.

I was hoping to but I'm working all weekend

Build: http://www.martinsfurybuild.co.uk/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.