Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Banner Battery to vent?
Shiggins92

posted on 28/9/17 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
Banner Battery to vent?

I have just purchased a Banner Battery for my MK Indy.

When it arrived it had a sticker on it saying pull tabs to vent?

I have never had to do anything like this before I usually just plug it in and stick it on trickle charge in the garage?

Any advice?

tegwin

posted on 28/9/17 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
Assuming its a standard lead acid battery they give off gas when charged so need to be vented to air. If the battery has been posted to you its most likely that the vent ports are closed somehow... definitely pull tabs as advertised to allow the gases to vent.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

nick205

posted on 28/9/17 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
Batteries I've bought have been from a motor factor and gone straight in the car. Not seen venting instructions before, but if it says to do it then I'd follow the instructions.
MikeRJ

posted on 28/9/17 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
Unlike the old batteries that were permanently vented, modern starter batteries are almost always VRLA type - Valve Regulated Lead Acid. This means they are effectively sealed unless the internal pressure rises too far, when the valve will vent to release pressure.

Batteries are usually supplied with blanking plugs in the vents, usually one at either side of the battery near the top. If the battery is mounted inside a car (as opposed to the engine bay) then one of these vents should be connected to a hose which is routed outside the car to prevent hydrogen gas being vented within the car.

For batteries mounted in the engine bay, simply remove the vent plugs.

[Edited on 28/9/17 by MikeRJ]

Smoking Frog

posted on 28/9/17 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
The vents are sealed to prevent leaking in transit. Had the same on my banner battery.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.