Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cutting harness slots in seats
jps

posted on 3/5/19 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
Cutting harness slots in seats

I'm aiming to cut slots into my GRP seats this weekend, so I can then run belts through and get the upper harness mounts in the right place.

Apart from 'measure lots / cut once' does anyone have any advice on doing this job?

(I've read LOTS saying that the belts should be run outside the seat for IVA - to avoid a situtaion where the belt touches the seat and the seat becomes structural - but can't see how they'd stay on my shoulders if I did that , and I am aware that that various MEV cars have passed IVA using the seats I have, with slots cut in the seats).

40inches

posted on 3/5/19 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jps
I'm aiming to cut slots into my GRP seats this weekend, so I can then run belts through and get the upper harness mounts in the right place.

Apart from 'measure lots / cut once' does anyone have any advice on doing this job?

(I've read LOTS saying that the belts should be run outside the seat for IVA - to avoid a situtaion where the belt touches the seat and the seat becomes structural - but can't see how they'd stay on my shoulders if I did that , and I am aware that that various MEV cars have passed IVA using the seats I have, with slots cut in the seats).

The MK passed OK, make sure the slots are big enough and make a jig as outlined in the IVA manual.
Description
Description

jps

posted on 3/5/19 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
a jig as outlined in the IVA manual.

Do you mean the block on the seat to get the upper mounting height? I've got that sorted - although it doesn't sit againt the 'back' of the seat like the images in the manual given the curved shape of a GRP seat...

40inches

posted on 3/5/19 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jps
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
a jig as outlined in the IVA manual.

Do you mean the block on the seat to get the upper mounting height? I've got that sorted - although it doesn't sit againt the 'back' of the seat like the images in the manual given the curved shape of a GRP seat...

At my IVA they put the edge of the block halfway up the curve and flat on the seat base, it passed both ways easily.

adithorp

posted on 3/5/19 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
As well as the block measurement, make sure the bottom edge of your holes will be below the height of the anchor height (so if the belt was horizontal it wouldn't contact). Mine were checked with a spirit level for this and I was told that if they had the seat would be considered "structural".

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

pmc_3

posted on 3/5/19 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
Stick plenty of masking tape on the inside of the seat where you are cutting to stop bits flaking off.
theconrodkid

posted on 4/5/19 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
put masking tape around the area to be cut, use a hole saw for the ends of the slots and join up with a jigsaw or angry grinder, some edging to stop belts from fraying and it,s job done.

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.