ok

DW100 - 24/2/14 at 01:02 PM

Tuesday

Wadders - 24/2/14 at 01:15 PM

Yes it is.....definitely

pekwah1 - 24/2/14 at 01:15 PM

loaf of bread

gritbin - 24/2/14 at 01:18 PM

Doh! Sausage fingers here pressed go by accident.
What's the law regarding engine swapping? My westie logbook just says 1700cc and no other details re engine.thinking of going flow to zetec.

mark chandler - 24/2/14 at 01:24 PM

Last week you could, next week maybe, then maybe not

twybrow - 24/2/14 at 01:25 PM

You do your swap, then you tell the DVLA the new size (cc) and engine number. They will then ask you to prove it by having it inspected (by a garage or similar) to confirm that the details you have given are correct. In reality, I suspect you could write your own letter!

It is a very painless process to get the paperwork/V5 sorted - the engine swap is much more work!

mookaloid - 24/2/14 at 01:43 PM

probably need to tell your insurers too

mark chandler - 24/2/14 at 01:47 PM

There is no law against it, DVLA will request proof it's been done properly and that the engine is not stolen so garage report saying it's okay and receipt required.

big-vee-twin - 24/2/14 at 05:59 PM

The law says Duratec

gritbin - 24/2/14 at 06:14 PM

Well if its the law.........

snapper - 24/2/14 at 06:46 PM

The engine swap proof asked for by DVLA is to stop ringing and also to administer correct road tax
I have 3 engines for my kit and will send photos ( and engine number) of whatever one is currently in to DVLA
As I am a local kit car club member I intend to use the clubs technical and valuations officer to support my change
I will let you know how I get on
I may even write to DVLA asking about my car with 3 engines

scudderfish - 24/2/14 at 07:17 PM

<sensible hat on>

I swapped from a 3.5V8 to a 4.3V8. I sent in the V5 with a receipt from the previous owner that mentioned the engine number and reg of the donor car. A few weeks later I got the updated V5 back all all was fine.

r1_pete - 24/2/14 at 07:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish
<sensible hat on>

I swapped from a 3.5V8 to a 4.3V8. I sent in the V5 with a receipt from the previous owner that mentioned the engine number and reg of the donor car. A few weeks later I got the updated V5 back all all was fine.

+1 I sent the MGB v5 in with the old B Series ship anchor details, along with details of the new zetec, and back came a v5 with the new engine number and cc change.....

Simon - 24/2/14 at 07:32 PM

DVLA were a pita when I tried updating engine number - wanted proof from garage. I pointed out I was actually the manufacturer etc etc.

But, yep, get a letter from a garage confirming new engine details etc. They will get in touch if you boo boo'ed

ATB

Simon

rodgling - 24/2/14 at 07:57 PM

I swapped my engine (twice), first to a larger engine, then the exact same make & model. Each time I wrote to the DVLA and told them the engine numbers (with photos of the engine number) and included photos of me swapping the engine. They were happy with this.

Hellfire - 24/2/14 at 08:46 PM

Engine Swap Law as follows

CEC to CEC = Illegal
BEC to CEC = Illegal
BEC to BEC = Legal
CEC to BEC = Legal

Apart from being law, it's also common sense.

Phil

gritbin - 24/2/14 at 10:30 PM

BE what to CE who??????

mcerd1 - 25/2/14 at 09:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by gritbin
BE what to CE who??????

CEC = Car Engined Car

BEC = Bike Engined Car

he's trying to tempt you over to the dark side

gritbin - 25/2/14 at 07:19 PM

No wizzy engines here thanks. you can keep your megakwskabirds thanks. as I've been told"the law says duratec ",and who am i to argue with the law,or more importantly who is my misses to argue with the law

mcerd1 - 26/2/14 at 10:40 AM

the best bit is your MOT emissions level won't change when you change the engine - that means you can run modern engines without the CAT, EGR or other eco rubbish that normally holds them back

iank - 26/2/14 at 10:49 AM

While they did ask for garage confirmation a while back, I believe (and their website wording agrees) they've backed off and you only need a receipt for the engine with the number on.

https://www.gov.uk/change-vehicle-details-registration-certificate/what-evidence-to-give

TimEllershaw - 26/2/14 at 03:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish
<sensible hat on>

+1 I sent the MGB v5 in with the old B Series ship anchor details, along with details of the new zetec, and back came a v5 with the new engine number and cc change.....

Same here. Sent the V5 in with the changes and a very short letter saying what had been changed and got the corrected V5 back in a couple of weeks.