Board logo

new builder
nightracer36 - 26/8/15 at 07:44 AM

hi ive just joined and need some info, im just starting to build my locost, can anyone please tell me do I have to use 16swg box section or can I use slightly thicker box section. also what gauge do I need to get correct angles as in the book? many thanks. Ron.

Vmax1974 - 26/8/15 at 08:01 AM

Get yourself a trend digital angle gauge available from machine mart worked a treat on my tubes I used 2mm x 25mm x 25mm box for my chassis just remember the thicker the material the heavier and slower the final car will be

joneh - 26/8/15 at 08:16 AM

You can use what you want, some go thinner to 1.2mm (18swg) for lighter track cars.

I'd stick with 1.6mm or 1.5mm (16swg) for the main chassis and use 2mm on suspension components, but if you already have a pile of 2mm stuff use it! It'll just weigh a few extra kilos!

Slimy38 - 26/8/15 at 09:36 AM

Personally I didn't aim for the angles, I cut right angle to the maximum length and then trimmed when on the car.

As mentioned, going for the metal you have available is often better than trying to get the specific stuff, as different places stock different thicknesses. I built up my main chassis with 1.6 as that is what Camp Steel sell, but the last few brackets and things are made of 2mm as I had bits left over from another job. Just be careful when it comes to the difference between imperial and metric. 0.4mm doesn't sound much, but if the metal doesn't butt against each other the weld will do a spectacular job of drawing the metal together.

johnnybizzle1986 - 26/8/15 at 11:51 AM

Hi Ron,

Firstly Good luck.

I have built a couple of frames and I tend to use 2mm SHS, just because its easier to weld and not blow holes in.

what sort of spec/style are you thinking with your build... or not decided yet.

Regards jon

Brook_lands - 26/8/15 at 12:09 PM

Hi Ron and welcome

I used 2mm because I could get it cheap from work and I was arc welding rather than MIG welding in those days.

I reckon the difference between using 1.6 and 2mm is about 12 kgs on the frame.

nightracer36 - 26/8/15 at 05:02 PM

ive got a load of box from some old tables from work the only trouble is there 2" x1" so weigh much heavier, could I use some for the bottom of rail or would it be better to stick to sizes in book??? many thanks again. Ron./

joneh - 26/8/15 at 05:17 PM

Assuming it's good steel, can't see why not. I'd be wary which orientation you use it as it'll throw other dimensions out when adding upright pieces or horizontal pieces.

jossey - 27/8/15 at 05:38 AM

You can buy the pre cut chassis cheap enough these days and then you just weld them up.

David

nightracer36 - 27/8/15 at 08:16 AM

hiya david can you tell me where i can get pre cut box section from ?? thanks.ron.

ianhurley20 - 27/8/15 at 08:22 AM

Phil Talon does excellent chassis kits at
http://www.talonmotorfabrication.co.uk/