Board logo

Zetec engine management
Matth93 - 3/1/17 at 03:25 PM

I have got a 2.0 zetec in my car running on bike carbs with a red/black esc unit for the ignition which seems to run fine.
What I want to know is how much difference would it make if I changed it to the nodiz setup? Is it worth spending out £300 or not?
I'm not looking to get as much power as possible out of the engine but want it to be reliable.

snapper - 3/1/17 at 04:19 PM

Nodiz or Megajolt
The ESCI will not give any advance without a vac feed and an ECU
Stick a timing lift on it and see what spark advance you get at idle and 3k should be about 10degrees and 30 degrees respectfully

Matth93 - 3/1/17 at 05:39 PM

It has got a vac pipe connected on it and at idle it was sitting around 10 degrees when I revved it it did increase to around 30 degrees but I was struggling to do it on my own. I'll try again when I've got someone to hold the throttle steady for me.

I believe it's the EDIS units that need a ecu to adjust the ignition

snapper - 3/1/17 at 10:40 PM

I think it is an ESCII which is an EDIS+ if you like.
It has a built in MAP which gives more than the EDIS 10 degrees static but probably needs an ECU input
Megajolt just needs a MAP or TOS signal and a basic EDIS to do what you want.
Megajolt is simple but effective and you can 3D map easily

Dusty - 3/1/17 at 11:47 PM

My opinion? I suspect you currently have a working system which has been giving reasonable performance power wise. The main change you would see in fitting a 3D mappable ignition system would be in smoothness of response and driveability throughout the rev range and variable load conditions. Any gains in power would be a bonus. There might be some here and there but it would just be a much sweeter car to drive.

Matth93 - 4/1/17 at 09:55 PM

Ok thanks,
Yes it does go well at the moment but I'm doing some long trips in the car this year and want to get it right beforehand so I don't have any problems.