Board logo

email, new one on me!
myke pocock - 14/12/16 at 07:47 PM

Just received an email in my spam box supposedly from Manchester Police to say I am being prosecuted for speeding. Needless to say I haven't opened it but its a new one to me.

adithorp - 14/12/16 at 08:02 PM

Delete it unopened. They don't email notification of a speeding prosecution; It comes via snail mail.

TimC - 14/12/16 at 08:05 PM

I had the same one today. It tries to get you to click a link.

A colleague had a very realistic one last week. They'd gone as far to include a 'known address' for her and built a good approximation of iCloud's portal.

r1_pete - 14/12/16 at 08:07 PM

Yep, another scam, it would be interesting to see the grammar.....

myke pocock - 14/12/16 at 08:11 PM

Ha Ha, nice one TimC. Trying to get us to click a link. What is lurking there!!!!

chillis - 14/12/16 at 08:36 PM

This is a scam, the police don't email you, they would first have to know your email. Whilst they now have the 'tools' to find out your email they arn't allowed to use it unless you have emailed them and then that would not be for any kind of crime - that would always be by snail mail or delivered in person, the law requires that such things are done according to set procedures or a half decent laywer will get you off because they didn't follow their own procedures.

gremlin1234 - 14/12/16 at 10:09 PM

you could / should report it to

http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/report_fraud
they may take a little more notice if its police that are being impersonated.

coozer - 15/12/16 at 09:53 AM

If you open the one from hrmc with the refund that will cover the cost of the speeding fine, then the one from the Russian girl offering her unconditional love you will be very happy..

I think I get enough of these through my sky mail address to retire on!

Dusty - 15/12/16 at 10:48 PM

I had one from paypal today. Some mix up with my credit cards on the account. Hovered over the link and it was not a paypal link so deleted it. Had me worried for a moment as I have been using paypal a lot in the last few days for pressies. Went to paypal via the standard links and my account is OK so scam.

furryeggs - 16/12/16 at 06:36 AM

I had one from a girl called charlotte who supposedly lives 9 miles away and wants to wink at me with her bum hole?

coozer - 16/12/16 at 10:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by furryeggs
I had one from a girl called charlotte who supposedly lives 9 miles away and wants to wink at me with her bum hole?

Go round and take a look.....

sdh2903 - 16/12/16 at 01:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by furryeggs

Wink back then