Board logo

Update me on MOTing a kit car
bi22le - 12/6/20 at 09:20 AM

I'm going to try and put my car through an MOT. Probably the first one in 7 years as I have been using a trailor and doing track days.

I read that some places are asking for CATs now. Mine is a 1995 J plate and had not needed one in the past.

I used to just take it to a "just MOTs" place to keep it quick and simple down the line. I don't want any back handed or sympathetic view as this is important stuff.

I'll run through a MOT check list, check lights and stuff. What areas a re new or may I now have problems with?

loggyboy - 12/6/20 at 09:51 AM

Whats the v5 state on emissions?

pmc_3 - 12/6/20 at 10:23 AM

1995 would be something like an N reg, J would be about 1992?

obfripper - 12/6/20 at 12:16 PM

From your registration, date of first use is Dec 2004, so you need to provide your v5 at mot for the emissions limits.

If you don't have any limits recorded on the v5, either a copy of the mac certificate showing the type code with an explanation of the type code to emissions standards applied at SVA, or other proof of the standard required for the engine fitted at the time of SVA.

It is your responsibilty to prove this to the tester, in the absence of this they will either apply the limits applicable to the date of first use which is a full cat test, or refuse to test as the required information is not present. I have not had this situation yet, and would probably contact the DVSA before logging on a vehicle with incomplete information.

Dave

bi22le - 12/6/20 at 12:50 PM

So my last MOT states CO max as 3.5% and HC max 1200ppm.

My actual values measured were CO 0.78%, HC 63 ppm.

This suggests I am well below the limit but I don't know if the rules have changed since reducing my max values. My car has not had any changes made that will change the measured values. Does this suggest I will be ok with emissions?

bi22le - 12/6/20 at 12:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by pmc_3
1995 would be something like an N reg, J would be about 1992?

Well it is J so yes 92 I guess, it's on Donor age related plates.

obfripper - 12/6/20 at 12:58 PM

What does it say on your v5 in the additional info box?

What is your current engine, and what was it at the SVA ( if you know )

Dave

bi22le - 12/6/20 at 04:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by obfripper
What does it say on your v5 in the additional info box?

What is your current engine, and what was it at the SVA ( if you know )

Dave

It has 3.5% CO 0.12 HC, so I guess it's ok.

Not sure how to find what engine was at SVA but I think it is the same 1.6 20v BT.

obfripper - 12/6/20 at 04:39 PM

That's spot on, take your v5 and you'll have no troubles.

The engine only matters if you've got nothing on your v5.

Dave

bi22le - 12/6/20 at 05:28 PM

Happy bloody times!

It's going to be strange getting this MOTd and on the road. I have not driven it for 4 years and it has not been on the road for 7.

My 4 year old son, who is obsessed with cars, has never seen it out of the garage!

snapper - 12/6/20 at 10:10 PM

The emissions given on the V5 after SVA/IVA stay with the car regardless of engine change so as long as you are under the emissions required on the V5 your ok.

bi22le - 13/6/20 at 12:17 AM

quote:
Originally posted by snapper
The emissions given on the V5 after SVA/IVA stay with the car regardless of engine change so as long as you are under the emissions required on the V5 your ok.

Well that's good news if I ever get round to supercharging my car!

ttalps2000 - 15/6/20 at 08:39 AM

Am i right in assuming that a Q plate still does not require an emissions test? My V5 states zero on the emissions requirements!