Board logo

Replacing x-flow inlet manifold bolts (& stud)?
David Jenkins - 29/7/18 at 09:37 AM

Lately I've been faffing around with carb swapping (the bike carbs are back on!) and I've found that the inlet manifold bolts and stud are a real PITA. With the original manifold I couldn't get an ordinary socket properly onto the head of most of them, making the correct tightening with a torque wrench really difficult. It's impossible to get my socket onto the nut that holds the underneath of the manifold at the centre, and my socket doesn't have a particularly thick wall - I have to freestyle/guess that one with an open wrench.

I was wondering whether I could replace all the bolts with good-quality socket cap-head ones, probably with a flat washer underneath. I have a set of 1/2" sq. hex keys that might fit, or I could buy just one imperial-sized key for this job. Can anyone see any problems with this? They're only tightened to 15-19 ft/lb, so super-grade steel bolts aren't required.

I was also wondering if I could replace the central stud with a bolt (I don't know the thread of the bit that goes into the head at this time) to make life easier there too. This assumes that I could remove the stud without breaking it, which is always a significant risk - it would be a case of "try to remove it gently, and give up if it won't yield easily".

DW100 - 29/7/18 at 09:43 AM

Yes is the simple answer.

It always used to be common practice on crossflow race engines.

If I remember correctly they are 5/16 UNC.

David Jenkins - 29/7/18 at 10:04 AM

Thanks!

5/16" UNC sounds about right. Does that go for the stud as well?

DW100 - 29/7/18 at 10:17 AM

Yep used to replace all of them, inlet and exhaust manifold.

David Jenkins - 29/7/18 at 10:22 AM

Not fussed on the exhaust side - they're easy to do.

David Jenkins - 29/7/18 at 10:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by DW100
Yep used to replace all of them, inlet and exhaust manifold.

Being excessively lazy this morning - can you remember what length they are?

snapper - 29/7/18 at 10:36 AM

You need a longer socket with a large circular hole so stud goes through

David Jenkins - 29/7/18 at 10:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by snapper
You need a longer socket with a large circular hole so stud goes through

Not as easy as that - the socket fouls the underneath of the original manifold, and the coolant pipe on the bike carb manifold.

[Edited on 29/7/18 by David Jenkins]

rusty nuts - 29/7/18 at 11:29 AM

If it's any help David I have a few spare heads that I can take the central stud out of and measure. My manifold is held on with normal bolts apart from the central stud which as you say can be a pain . I will be changing the exhaust studs and nuts for socket head screws next time I have the exhaust off for the same reason. If you have problems getting the replacement S/H screws let me know , there is a place in Linton that's very helpful .

David Jenkins - 29/7/18 at 11:58 AM

Thanks Mel

I should be OK - there's a first-class fastener supplier in Ipswich (Suffolk Fasteners) so I hope to be able to get them there. They're also quite low-priced!

quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
If it's any help David I have a few spare heads that I can take the central stud out of and measure. My manifold is held on with normal bolts apart from the central stud which as you say can be a pain . I will be changing the exhaust studs and nuts for socket head screws next time I have the exhaust off for the same reason. If you have problems getting the replacement S/H screws let me know , there is a place in Linton that's very helpful .

David Jenkins - 29/7/18 at 12:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Being excessively lazy this morning - can you remember what length they are?

Decided not to be lazy - they're 5/16" UNC x 1.25"

steve m - 29/7/18 at 09:11 PM

What inlet manifolds are you using, as ive never had an issue, putting nuts and washers on either short or long tract twin 40 manifolds, nor the 28/36dcd manifold on my xflow,

Ive always used studs and nuts, as its easier to mount the manifold on a stud than a bolt, but at the very worst use studs on the furthest apart holes to centralise the manifold, and possibly use bolts on the other three

steve

rusty nuts - 29/7/18 at 09:31 PM

In my case it's a homemade inlet manifold with fairly large ports using Kawasaki ZZR1100 throttle bodies , the exhaust is a bespoke large bore manifold that doesn't have enough room to get a socket or ring spanner on the cEnter two nuts

redturner - 30/7/18 at 08:54 PM

I have never ever had a problem fitting / removing the manifold nuts. I always use a 3/8" drive socket. I probably have 6 manifolds in the garage and they all work just as good and nothing different in the castings.....

David Jenkins - 31/7/18 at 09:02 PM

To be perfectly honest, I can just about cope with the 4 bolts that hold the manifold - it can be a struggle sometimes to get the socket on properly, the extension bar often rubs against the manifold itself, and it can be a pain when doing things within the engine bay (the chassis gets in the way).

It's the centre nut-on-a-stud that's a pain - I can't get at it properly with a socket as the inlet pipe is quite close on my bike carb manifold. Even if I used a long thin-walled socket, it wouldn't get over the chassis problem.

I will convert to socket cap head screws in the near future as access will be a whole lot easier all round. They're on order, and should arrive tomorrow!

rusty nuts - 31/7/18 at 09:15 PM

I got mine today £4 for 15