Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: stress fractures/cracks spreading in fibreglass panals
daz928sb

posted on 17/7/15 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
stress fractures/cracks spreading in fibreglass panals

hi, i just wondered if anybody has this problem!

i have a mac1 zx10r worx which the bodywork ( bonnet ) and nose cone ect seem to be spreading with splits ect.

i have even attempted to wrap the bonnet to maybe stop the spraed but you can obviously see them through the wrap!

i guess its because of the vibration from the engine and obviously a bit of the hard set-up suspension!

its doing my head in! i guess i will eventually have to get a new bonnet and cone but wondered how this can be prevented and also repaired in some places.

has anybody else experienced this??

loggyboy

posted on 17/7/15 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
Just the Gel coat cracking?

Mistral Motorsport

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 17/7/15 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds to me like it's just the gelcoat cracking. You can repair yourself, or get someone to do it, it's not a massive job. But understanding why this has happened is a bit difficult without knowing the materials used in the construction of the bodywork ie. the type of glass, weight, resin etc.

My guess is that it's a chopped strand glass with gelcoat outer, made using polyester resin. You can fix by using epoxy resin (polyester won't stick to polyester) either mixed with colour pigment to try and colour match, or have it filled and sprayed.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

jossey

posted on 17/7/15 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
Drill a tiny hole where it ends to stop it spreading firstly. Just 1mm drill bit will do. Repairing is then much easier

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
daz928sb

posted on 27/7/15 at 12:05 AM Reply With Quote
Thankyou gents for the replys
twybrow

posted on 27/7/15 at 12:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie_Zetec
Sounds to me like it's just the gelcoat cracking. You can repair yourself, or get someone to do it, it's not a massive job. But understanding why this has happened is a bit difficult without knowing the materials used in the construction of the bodywork ie. the type of glass, weight, resin etc.

My guess is that it's a chopped strand glass with gelcoat outer, made using polyester resin. You can fix by using epoxy resin (polyester won't stick to polyester) either mixed with colour pigment to try and colour match, or have it filled and sprayed.

Nearly right. Polyester will stick to polyester, but only as a keyed surface (mechanical adhesion) - when laying up fresh you get chemical adhesion. Polyester won't stick to epoxy but epoxy will stick to polyester. Otherwise I agree!

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 27/7/15 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by twybrow
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie_Zetec

Nearly right. Polyester will stick to polyester, but only as a keyed surface (mechanical adhesion) - when laying up fresh you get chemical adhesion. Polyester won't stick to epoxy but epoxy will stick to polyester. Otherwise I agree!

Correct - but to try and get a properly keyed up surface on polyester and then fill/smooth over is incredibly difficult! I've tried it on rigid structures and it's a PITA, so on 7 bodywork I'd say it was *near on* impossible to make good a repair that will last, hence the use of epoxy for a better finish.

Out of curiosity, do you work with GRP/fibreglass professionally then, or just dabble when necessary?

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

twybrow

posted on 4/8/15 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
It is my job. I lead a team for one of the largest suppliers of composite materials, with a dedicated focus alupon automotive applications. Name a F1 team, or supercar and chances are my team will be behind it.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.