Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: oil cooler fitting
jlayton

posted on 27/10/15 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
oil cooler fitting

Just fitted a mocal 13 row oil cooler to my r1 turbo Indy, using a sandwich plate none stat. Primed the lines start car up and all is fine now every know and then the oil light comes on but there's plenty of oil in there. I have mounted the cooler with the outlets on the bottom of the cooler, and read somewhere about an oil lock? Is there any thing I could of done wrong .
(Oil was just under maximum mark) and run a scavenge pump . So do I overt full it ...

Dingz

posted on 27/10/15 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
If the ports are on the underside how will the air get out? Suggest you turn it the other way up.

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

adithorp

posted on 27/10/15 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
Is this the oil light on the R1 clocks (thats a level light) or have you got an aftermarket pressure operated one fitted? The R1 presure (like a lot of bike motors) can drop to 5psi at idle and would trigger most pressure lights.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

bi22le

posted on 27/10/15 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
Rad ports should be at the top or the rad will air lock. Unless you have a bleed valve at the top but mocal ones don't

On tick over the oil pressure is low on becs as already mentioned. My gsxr bec used to flicker the digidash lite 2 on when it was warm.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

jlayton

posted on 28/10/15 at 07:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
Is this the oil light on the R1 clocks (thats a level light) or have you got an aftermarket pressure operated one fitted? The R1 presure (like a lot of bike motors) can drop to 5psi at idle and would trigger most pressure lights.

Yes it's the standard light on the r1 clocks

jlayton

posted on 28/10/15 at 07:10 AM Reply With Quote
I also had a look on the net and people have mounted them with the outlets at the bottom, but they said you need to get the air out. So could I take it off turn it the right way and let it run for a while on the drive then flip it back over and bolt back up
BenB

posted on 28/10/15 at 07:20 AM Reply With Quote
Mocal say

" Oil coolers may be mounted anyway up and are self bleeding, the resistance to oil flow through the matrix means that tanks will fill up evenly pushing out the air before the oil flows through."

jlayton

posted on 28/10/15 at 07:24 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks . As it is the std r1 clocks Which is ment to be a oil level light. Maybe the oil was slightly low as it was just under the max Mark and like I said run a scavenge pump etc. My drive is on a hill also.
adithorp

posted on 28/10/15 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
Even in the bike the oil level light is known to come on while riding (do a search on r1 forums). Where is the scavenge pump pumping to/from?

CosKev3

posted on 28/10/15 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
My outlets are on the bottom and as Mocal state,it filled up without issue.
jlayton

posted on 28/10/15 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
Even in the bike the oil level light is known to come on while riding (do a search on r1 forums). Where is the scavenge pump pumping to/from?

The scavenge pump is sucking the oil from the turbo return and putting it back into the oil fill hole on the clutch side. So maybe I need to over fill it slightly

CosKev3

posted on 28/10/15 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
So your not running any overfill at all?

Pretty sure all R1 engines when fitted in cars need some overfill,presume you've got a baffle plate fitted?

In my 4XV R1 I fill the oil to the top of the sight glass with the engine idling at normal temp.

jlayton

posted on 28/10/15 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah I have a baffle plate, il over fill slightl.y when I can chance and see how I get on thanks
CosKev3

posted on 28/10/15 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
You can overfill by 500ml.

Presume you've got a catch can fitted?keep an eye on that and if it starts filling with oil don't overfill as much.

adithorp

posted on 28/10/15 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
Are you checking the oil level when idling? The best check/level when in a car has been found to be... Engine hot and idling, level 2/3-3/4 way up the sight glass.

With the oil cold, the light will often come on... and at high revs even hot... and when the oil gets old... and whenever it feels like it! Mine has been on all the way from Monaco to Manchester with no detriment; you'd be stopping every 10mins to check the level if you paid any attention to it.

It's only any good as an indication of level after a few seconds of idling. It's so unreliable when driving, that I altered mine (with a relay) so its only operates when the hand brake is on. Fit a pressure guage and rely on that.

jlayton

posted on 28/10/15 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
I usually run the car so it gets hot shut it off and then check the oil level. Think I'm b enable to sort it now. Thanks for all your help
adithorp

posted on 28/10/15 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jlayton
I usually run the car so it gets hot shut it off and then check the oil level...

Then you're oil will be too low for car use, the light will often come on and you'll risk oil starvation cornering. Nothing to do with the scavenge pump or the cooler.

jlayton

posted on 28/10/15 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
Ok so it's best that I check it when car is idleing and it should be 3/4 full on sight glasd.....

Thanks again

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.