Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Best jubilee clips .
nick-york

posted on 29/9/17 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
Best jubilee clips .

Hi .I'm replacing the hoses on my cooling system and the jubilee clips as well but don't know which are the best /most suitable .stainless or galvanised please ? And reasons behind your choice please ? Cheers - nick
40inches

posted on 29/9/17 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
They will both do the job, but the stainless won't look agricultural. Unless that's the look you want
ste

posted on 29/9/17 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
Jubilee clips aren't the best for coolant hoses as they don't clamp in a perfect circle.

Mikalor clamps are best, but more money.

Mike Wood

posted on 30/9/17 at 07:03 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

Norma clips are good quality hose clips for coolant hoses:

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/s/cooling/hose-clips

http://race.parts/Catalogue/Fasteners/Hose-Clips/Worm-Drive-Clip

If they are good enough for competition cars then should be suitable for a Locost.
I have found them the best of the conventional Jubilee clip type, robust and long lasting. Terry's clips a close second to Norma. I avoid unbranded Jubilee style clips, as had too many fail or not last long enough. I now have stock of good used clips for re-use - something you can't do with the lower quality ones - this only works if you use the correct driver as inevitably either an incorrect screwdriver gets used or the screwdriver slips and the head gets chewed up.

Halfords carboard boxes of clips - not sure if they still sell them this way, but you could open the box and check out the stamped makers name on the clips - could often find Terry's and Norma clips in them along with unbranded clips, so I would go through the boxes to find the ones that had the best mix of these brands in them!

If you ever pass an old independent garage or motorfactors pop in to see if they have a rack of good quality clips and buy a few in common sizes for for the spares box.

Tip - put some Copaslip on the screw theads to aid removal - handy for hard to reach clips and definately for rad bottom hose that leaks may not be noticeable as readily. Also get and use a proper driver, not a screwdriver to tighten, and check tightness after a few days of use of new hoses.

Remember to use a different type of clip for fuel hose to counter the ovaling problem mentioned above (a particular issue for small diameter hose compared to larger diameter main coolant hoses). See: https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/stainless-steel-fuel-hose-clip-16-18mm-sfhc-17

Cheers
Mike

[Edited on 30/9/17 by Mike Wood]

[Edited on 1/10/17 by Mike Wood]

adithorp

posted on 30/9/17 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
Most problems with worm drive (Jubilees) usually come from using too large a size. Use the smallest you can get on the hose that way the fixed radius bit under the screw is similar raduis to the pipe and shouldn't be a problem. Over the years I've had fewer problems with genuine Jubilees than and others. I've found that if you're using them on silicone hoses, nip them up again when warm or they can leak (guess it's something to do with the compressability of silicone hose).

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 30/9/17 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
Norma.
mark chandler

posted on 30/9/17 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
Nothing with a bolt or screw fitting as the hose settles and they lose their grip which is why car manufactures all use Spring clips as the apply a constant pressure.

Mikalor Double Wire Hose Spring Clips | Silicone Pipe Air Fuel Band Tube Clamp

You really want these

60Pcs Fuel Line Hose Spring Clip Water Pipe Air Tube Clamps 6/9/10/12/14/15mm UK

[Edited on 30/9/17 by mark chandler]

Mike Wood

posted on 1/10/17 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
You can still buy the original Jubilee brand clips: https://www.completeautomobilist.com/categories/complete-automobilist-workshop-parts-radiator-hose

Cheers
Mike

britishtrident

posted on 1/10/17 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
Don't use Jubilee style worm drive clips you won't find any manufacturer using them. As has already been already The best are Mikalor W4 stainless but they have to be size correctly for the application as they have a smaller adjustment range than worm drive clips.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

nick205

posted on 2/10/17 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
IIRC Jubilee is well known a brand name for worm drive clips - there are many other brands out there.

As above worm drive clips aren't the best for clamping fluid hoses - certainly not what OEM car makers use.

I believe the Mikalor ones are better, but a little dearer to buy.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.