Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Gear change
noc231073

posted on 3/2/11 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
Gear change

I have fitted a pro shift paddle shift to my Mk hayabusa bur now Ian thinking of fitting a standard gear lever ie push pull lever to run in conjunction with the paddle shift
My reason being it would act as a back up if the paddle shift system was to fail and it makes it easier to find neutral

Any comments on what you think would be great. And we're the best place to buy a gear lever and cable ... Pics of what you run would help to ie: the gear system

adithorp

posted on 3/2/11 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a self made paddle on mine. Works well and no problem finding neutral.
A second lever just complicates things and adds extra weight.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

hobbsy

posted on 3/2/11 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
Adi,

I think the pro-shift is electrical so he wants a lever as a mechanical backup.

That's how I currently run mine - electric paddles on the wheel but I retain the stick based shift on the trans tunnel.

The stick shift came first and my electric shift actuator just pushes and pulls the same solid linkage.

And it is a bit easier to find neutral with the stick as with electric paddles you don't have as much feedback, half shifts are possible to find neutral it just takes a bit of practise.

adithorp

posted on 3/2/11 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
Doh! Should read slower.Ignore my post above.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

gingerprince

posted on 3/2/11 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
I run both and really like it (stick came first, kliktronic was afterfit). With the full-throttle upshift the ignition cut is very quick, brilliant for fast upshifts when going some. But if pootling in traffic, shifting up can be a real "clonk" because the power is fed on too quick. In this instance it's nice to have a manual stick to do it the "old fashioned" way. It's also better for finding neutral. But mainly it's fun watching passenger surprise as it moves by itself
noc231073

posted on 3/2/11 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
That's what I want , source the cable just need a gear lever
noc231073

posted on 3/2/11 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
Your not reading the post correctly I have a full proshift paddle shift fitted including flat up and down shift ... Read again
gingerprince

posted on 3/2/11 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by noc231073
Your not reading the post correctly I have a full proshift paddle shift fitted including flat up and down shift ... Read again

I have read it again, and there's no mention of the auto downshift...

...having said that, it looks like you haven't read my post either since I specifically reference my electronic paddle shift with flatshifter and manual stick override!

T66

posted on 3/2/11 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
With my build, I had opted for a gearstick, then bought MNR paddles and intended using cables with a Flatshifter...

Then we moved to buttons on the wheel linked to a Flatshifter & Pingel & no gearstick, now I am going to have a gearstick wih cables and the Flatshifter/Pingel setup will run along side it..

So if it all goes tits I can still change gear.

monkeyracer

posted on 3/2/11 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
Noc, I bought my mk busa with klicktronic system fitted, and the flat shift spark cut. It's great for up shifting flat out, a pain around town as you know. The thing that Peed me off the most was that you loose the feel on down shifts, with any kind of electronic down shift, unless you have complicated, expensive rev/gear/speed balancing system.(no point on mk) it just doesn't work.I don't care if people say 'you need to be skillfull at matching rev speed on a down change'.... It's utter poo. I ripped mine out, and fitted a manual shift.

You know where you you are on down changes then, when riding hard. The thing is, flat out down shifts should be close to pinging the limiter, without putting to much stress on the little bike engine....something I would like to feel, rather than hitting a button at the wrong time, and ooooops, rod through the block!

Having said all of that, I still want the flat upshift, so I'd go with the dynojet flat shift, linkage.(not got it myself, but seems to be the ideal).

I've had quite bait of experience of racing cars with all types and the best is by far,(and the norm) of a stick, flat upshift, with manual down.

Apologies for the rant but had a few beers! Its dead easy to make you own stick gear leaver. Let me know if you want pics.

Cheers

Monkey

andyfiggy2002

posted on 4/2/11 at 03:42 AM Reply With Quote
what is the point in having both a paddleshift & a gear lever?? talking to andy bates he told me an automatic gives the gearbox a hard time anyway hence my decision to go manual

[Edited on 4/2/11 by andyfiggy2002]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.