Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Inertia belt orientation
Slimy38

posted on 9/8/15 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
Inertia belt orientation

Do standard diagonal belts have to go from outside top to inside bottom? IE from the drivers right shoulder to left hip? Or can they be done the other way round? I want to reuse my donor's inertia belts but I have more room in the middle behind the occupants, rather than the outside which is all roll bar and suspension.
David Jenkins

posted on 9/8/15 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
Westfields have them the way you describe - or used to, anyway.

Bluemoon

posted on 9/8/15 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
Morgans use this config. Not sure if the inertia reels are different..
stevem427

posted on 9/8/15 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
My Cobra has them the other way round. Over left shoulder and fastening on the right near the door. Just standard belts.
emlyno

posted on 9/8/15 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
My Gemini has them reversed, no room in the conventional position for the inertia unit. You shouldn't have any problems with IVA.
Slimy38

posted on 9/8/15 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by emlyno
My Gemini has them reversed, no room in the conventional position for the inertia unit. You shouldn't have any problems with IVA.

Did you build in any reinforcement for the belts? I believe the Gemini has a very similar cockpit rear panel to my car, I was wondering if the single top chassis rail is sufficient.

emlyno

posted on 10/8/15 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
I drilled and sleeved a chassis rail in the boot and took the belt over the top tube. I can't find pics at the moment but I could photo the setup and email them to you If you want.
Slimy38

posted on 10/8/15 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by emlyno
I drilled and sleeved a chassis rail in the boot and took the belt over the top tube. I can't find pics at the moment but I could photo the setup and email them to you If you want.

Aha, that makes sense. That gives access to some much more substantial rails, and my belts already have a 'slider' that I can fix to the top tube. A pic or two would be really appreciated, I'll ping you my address on PM, thanks.

coyoteboy

posted on 10/8/15 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
I'd bet my bottom dollar that they're directional, looking at the mechanisms used in a few different ones. So providing you keep the same face facing forward you should be OK. Otherwise you'll only find out they're not when you bite the steering wheel.

[Edited on 10/8/15 by coyoteboy]

Slimy38

posted on 10/8/15 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
I'd bet my bottom dollar that they're directional, looking at the mechanisms used in a few different ones. So providing you keep the same face facing forward you should be OK. Otherwise you'll only find out they're not when you bite the steering wheel.

[Edited on 10/8/15 by coyoteboy]

They are yes, there's a 'weight' or something that only engages in certain directions. I found out by thinking they were broken, not realising I was holding them crooked! They have to be perfectly upright for the belt to move.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.