New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Which zetec engine
steve-hv8

posted on 5/5/16 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
Which zetec engine

Just a quick question in my roadster I'm using a mx5 engine and box
But was wondering about a zetec engine
Which zetec engine can be used and from what ford is it best to come from
Reason I ask is that after having a walk around the scrapyard the amount of ford models that have them is unreal

Steve

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 5/5/16 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
You can use pretty much any zetec engine! The early silvertop (reference to the rocker cover) is a common one in older vehicles, and was later replace by the blacktop (again, reference to the rocker cover) model. Both came in 1.8 and 2.0L versions, ranging from 105/115/130bhp variants. Not many differences, but the change from solid to hydraulic tappets, the under-piston oil jets, and slightly different windage tray in the sump. Silvertops you can just replace the water pump with one from an Orion, but the blacktops require an additional pulley to reverse the spindle. Both mount to Type 9 gearboxes, and (I think) MT75's as found in early RWD Ford models such as Sierra.

Newer variants also include the Focus ST170 lump, and then you get onto the newer engine called the Duratec - as found in latest Fiestas and Mondeos.

Pretty sure that sums it up, minus a few bits I've probably missed off!

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

mcerd1

posted on 5/5/16 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
^^ that about covers the "zetec E" engines (aka: the Zeta engines) 1.8/2.0 and some older 1.6's

but there is another type - the zetec SE's too (aka: the Sigma engines) - these are the all alloy block ones that come in 1.25/1.4/1.6 and 1.7 flavours (mostly in fiesta, puma & focus's)
these are totally different and don't fit the sierra gearboxes quite so easily, so you don't want to get them mixed up ! (I'm not saying that they are bad engines - just that they don't bolt strait on like the other ones)

here's the list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Zetec_engine

quote:
Originally posted by Charlie_Zetec
Newer variants also include the Focus ST170 lump, and then you get onto the newer engine called the Duratec - as found in latest Fiestas and Mondeos.

but confusingly ford badge the ST170 engine a duratec (when its really a modified zetec E)

when you get into the newer 'duratec' engines it just gets even more confusing I'm afraid - ford will stick that badge on all the petrol engines regardless of what they are...

the "real" duratec is (aka: duratec HE) is a 1.8/2.0/2.3 engine found in mondeo's from 2000 onwards, focus's from 2005, c-max's from 2003 and the fiesta ST150 (03-08) and a few others..
these are more or less a Mazda L engine and are very similar the later MX5's - these are the ones that half the small sports car makers are using (or at least the coswoth versions of them)

but ford also stick the duratec badge on all kinds of other engines including newer versions of the Sigma, kent, Volvo 5cl and various different V6's too
here's the list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Duratec_engine#Duratec_HE

the big question is - why not stick with the MX5 engine ?

[Edited on 5/5/2016 by mcerd1]

[Edited on 6/5/2016 by mcerd1]

-

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.