Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: PD Engine Oils?
SteveWallace

posted on 20/7/16 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
PD Engine Oils?

I'm going to so an engine oil and filter service on my daughters 2010 Ford KA. Its a 1.2 petrol and I normally buy service parts from Euro Car Parts on-line as they are a lot cheaper than Halfrauds. (I got a new set of good quality front discs and pads for <£30 last year)

Doing a search on her car on their website brings up the cheapest fully synthetic 5W/40 oil as TripleQX oil for PD engines. My understanding is that PD engines are very high fuel injection pressure diesel engines (the TripleQS blurb says the oil is for petrol and diesel engines though).

Is there any reason why I cannot use a PD oil in a non-PD car engine as I don't necessarily trust the compatible parts search function on car parts web sites.

Slimy38

posted on 20/7/16 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
I have been (un)reliably informed that PD engines are very finicky when it comes to oil, but I don't see why a bog standard Ka can't use it. Isn't 5w/30 the norm for most Fords though?

If you are able to delay the service, I'd suggest signing up to the eurocarparts newsletter. Pretty much every weekend is a money off voucher. A few weeks back they had BOGOF on oil, I got about 30 litres of TripleQX for a silly price.

Alternatively, carparts4less is the same place but occasionally gives cheaper prices (no, I don't know why).

britishtrident

posted on 20/7/16 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
They do the petrol version at the same price - their online search never works right for me.

Although oil has went up in price because of the effects of politics on the pound if you do an eBay search you will find it a fair bit cheaper.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

SteveWallace

posted on 20/7/16 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
I have been (un)reliably informed that PD engines are very finicky when it comes to oil, but I don't see why a bog standard Ka can't use it. Isn't 5w/30 the norm for most Fords though?

If you are able to delay the service, I'd suggest signing up to the eurocarparts newsletter. Pretty much every weekend is a money off voucher. A few weeks back they had BOGOF on oil, I got about 30 litres of TripleQX for a silly price.

The KA's went through a phase of using non-Ford engines (Fiat ones I think). 5W/40 is right for this car. I'm already signed up to the newsletter and I've just got the 25% off code (which is on top of the discounts already offered on their website). With that, its less than £20 for 5 litres of this oil.

I'll have a look at carparts4less as well, thanks.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.