Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: todays breakdown
ali f27

posted on 26/11/17 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
todays breakdown

Well broke down today Mg ZT stopped charging so kept going hoping to get to janes dads any how ran out of battery so Jane said lets join AA the cover would be handy anyways £ 177 later and we get a guy turn up who says its stopped charging cant do anything you will have to be recovered ok ring AA again and pay another £128 and a guy comes and takes us 39 miles to janes dads now the way i see it i just paid £177 for them to ring a recovery firm i think getting us to renew is going to be difficult to say the least.
owelly

posted on 26/11/17 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
So let me get this right.
You were not a member of the AA until you broke down. You broke down so decided to join as a cheap way to get recovered. The term and conditions state the time frames involved for cover (some are 24hrs, some are up to 48hrs). Now you're complaining that they didn't want to be used as a cheap way to get you home?!
I've been paying for breakdown cover for 20 years and they come when I need them. That's how it works.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ali f27

posted on 26/11/17 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
Well yes i hear what you are saying but i joined for a year not just a day it was Janes car so would have continued the cover every year for her i have never been a member before thought we would try it i told them we were broken down and they took the money their choice
ali f27

posted on 26/11/17 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
£ 305 was hardly cheap
Daf

posted on 26/11/17 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
We pay about 160 a year for me and the wife, that is 'relay' cover so it covers us not the cars. I.e. i can be in any car and they will come and get me and if it's not fixable they will take me home or anywhere i wish. They have done a number of times over the years always been great service from them.
CosKev3

posted on 26/11/17 at 11:32 PM Reply With Quote
TBH running any MG you should have break down cover ready for that day!!!!
pekwah1

posted on 26/11/17 at 11:57 PM Reply With Quote
I think in hindsight, a few questions when you were taking out the policy would have told you how much you were likely to have to pay on the night.
As stated, it's basically an insurance, yes recovery is expensive, breakdown cover less so, but works on the basis that most people who pay for cover won't need it, so they can afford the cost of recovery when it is.

lesson learned i guess...

cliftyhanger

posted on 27/11/17 at 05:44 AM Reply With Quote
Bargain option is a Nationwide bank account that you pay £13 a month.
Gives full european breakdown cover on 2 cars (and you do not have to name them until you need the use it!)
Plus good phone cover including kids phones, even when they are at Uni
Worldwide family travel insurance which unusually includes winter sports.

Reckon that is good value.

As above, you paid a hefty exccess on your cover as paid for a single, possibly expensive, call out on top of annual membership. You may have needed recovering from Penzance to John O'Groats, which would have been cheap for £300....
There are plenty of companies offering cover for around £60 a year including recovery.

posted on 27/11/17 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
For £37 in Tesco Clubcard vouchers I get RAC roadside assistance and recovery home (any car).

As we shop with Tesco's (delivered) anyway and I use Tesco diesel in the works car and Momentum in the Suttol & MX5
it effectively is free. It works out that I get 3p towards RAC membership for every pound I spend with them.

I've been doing this since Suttol's IVA so in my 3rd year. Never had to call them out, but it's good to have.

Paul G

theconrodkid

posted on 27/11/17 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
I used to work for the AA and as stated above it is an insurance policy, you cant crash your car into a tree, then insure the car for £100 and expect them to pay out £5,000 can you ?.

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

nick205

posted on 27/11/17 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
ali F27 am I reading your first post correct you paid £177 + £128 to get the car recovered?

If so that seems truly truly staggering to me!

SWMBOs breakdown cover is something like £40 / year. Not had cause to use it yet so I can't pass judgement on it though.

CosKev3

posted on 27/11/17 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
ali F27 am I reading your first post correct you paid £177 + £128 to get the car recovered?

SWMBOs breakdown cover is something like £40 / year. Not had cause to use it yet so I can't pass judgement on it though.

Yeah,BUT they phoned up and took the cover out after breaking down!

The insurance comparison by conrodkid above is spot on!

nick205

posted on 27/11/17 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
quote:
Originally posted by nick205

Yeah,BUT they phoned up and took the cover out after breaking down!

The insurance comparison by conrodkid above is spot on!

Noted and I'm sure it makes a difference.

In my comparison I took out cover for SWMBOs car when renewing her insurance, not from the side of the road after the event.

mcerd1

posted on 27/11/17 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
You were not a member of the AA until you broke down. You broke down so decided to join as a cheap way to get recovered. The term and conditions state the time frames involved for cover (some are 24hrs, some are up to 48hrs).

they all have clauses like this to prevent you using them for these kind of claims

if you really object to the £177 then you might be able to use your 14 day right to cancel - you might even be able to mention miss-selling etc. if you'd already told them you'd broken down at the time you agreed to pay the £177.
(seeing as you effectively paid for the recovery yourself and didn't claim it on the policy)

then you could look at getting one of the cheaper annual covers (as above) afterwards

personally I've had a good experiences with the RAC (only had to call them a couple of times though) - one of there guys spent way longer than he probably should have helping me sort an immobiliser issue on a Sunday afternoon (8 hours from home) so that I could get home that night and not have to wait for the garage to open the next day.
I've got cover with RAC for me and the wife in any car (even as a passenger) with the option to recover to anywhere in the country that I choose and apparently I can insist on a flatbed recovery if I want to (although that can take longer to arrive, but good for kit cars )

and generally bad experiences with Greenflag (e.g. taking 6+ hours to arrive to my wife or totally refusing to send anyone out because damaging a wheel on a pothole is an accident not a breakdown apparently...)

[Edited on 27/11/2017 by mcerd1]

-

craig1410

posted on 27/11/17 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
I've called out the AA before as a non-member because this is something they do support and they charge extra for it. It's not as if I (or the OP) were trying to be sneaky about it. In fact I have been a member on and off over the years, mainly because in some situations such as buying a new car, you get complimentary breakdown cover included so there is no need to maintain the AA membership. I also find that you can get a better deal if you switch between different breakdown companies etc. I'm a member again at the moment.

In any case, I found myself on holiday in England with my family with a SEAT Altea which would not start and I didn't have any tools or a multimeter to do any diagnosis myself. So I called the AA as I already had their number on my phone and told them the situation and they sent someone out. I paid something like £154 which included a year's membership plus extra for the current breakdown situation (they've got a specific term for this type of membership) and all was well. The guy arrived within an hour and between us we diagnosed a dodgy relay.

What I don't recall was being told that there might be another significant payment required if I needed recovery. I guess maybe it depends on the type of recovery required whether it was to a local approved garage or half way across the UK back home. In the latter case I would certainly not expect it to be covered under the £154 charge.

02GF74

posted on 27/11/17 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
As already said. Op breaks down. Joins AA in the hope of getting free recovery. The AA came and tried to fix the car, I suppose they could have charged the battery but how long gone would that take and would they be expected to come out again when battery ran out?

Recovery other than nearest garage is extra (think the extra is called home recovery). I know, I had to upgrade to get my kit car back kit to my house even though I'd been a member for yonks.

ali f27

posted on 27/11/17 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the answers just a few points we told them we were broken down right at the start so the crashing into the tree one kind of go,s out of the window . The cheap option for me would have been to buy a new battery to get the 39 mile , by the way the £128 would only get me 50 mile it was £2.50 a mile after that Jane had a look at the cooling off period and they will charge us £199 to cancel.
emlyno

posted on 27/11/17 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
I pay £60 a year to Adrian Flux. A couple of years ago I broke down in the Gemini just south of Glasgow on the M74. After making the call a local recovery firm came out ( a 1 1/2 hour wait) picked up the Gemini, took it to their depot, put me in a courtesy car and I was home in Shrewsbury by teatime. The Gemini arrived home by suppertime! on the back of a flatbed. That's what I call service.
ianhurley20

posted on 27/11/17 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
I have paid for years to a breakdown service and have never used them - but I know they will be there if I need them. I would be really p****d off if I thought that someone could drive around for years and then decide to join once they had broken down for the same cost as anyone joining before breakdown.
Perhaps the op should have called out a local garage - probably no cheaper for that event but would not then have given them a year of call outs for subsequent breakdowns.

Sorry - no sympathy here

ravingfool

posted on 28/11/17 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
I'm (relatively) young and (relatively) optimistic and I carry a range of basic tools in my 'daily' car so don't bother with breakdown cover on it.

I do have breakdown cover for the kit and previously had cover for my classic car but have otherwise not bothered for 'normal' cars.

I've had a couple of minor issues which have required a little tinkering at the side of the road over the years but I broke down a couple of months ago in my MGZT so have lots of sympathy for the OP.

After pulling over and taking a walk to the nearest petrol station to make use of their toilet and give the car a chance to cool down I came back and inspected it properly.

Nothing major and I probably could have coaxed it back home but that was at least a couple of hours driving which I didn't really want to do with the risk of causing lasting damage. I spent 15 minutes ringing around recovery agents in the area and then got recovered on a flatbed which arrived 15 minutes later for something like £130? I gave him a tip because it was all dead easy and he got me home without me rolling around on the floor in the dark after 6 hours driving back from the lake district.

I've driven my cars all over the continent and if you look at the fine print for most policies the level of cover is actually very poor once you're driving a car over 10 years old so I choose to self insure.

1 recovery in the last 10 years means I've definitely saved overall and I'm happy with that but I fully understand people wanting to have the convenience and peace of mind that membership at a reasonable annual cost can bring. Just do be careful to make sure your policy gives you the level of cover that you expect/require.

Simon

posted on 28/11/17 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Not really, I've had a ZT 260, TF135 and Rover 75 V6, wife had ZR160 and Rover BRM. We've also had various SD1's, 827 and several Minis. Never broke down in any of them.

CosKev3

posted on 28/11/17 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon
quote:

Not really, I've had a ZT 260, TF135 and Rover 75 V6, wife had ZR160 and Rover BRM. We've also had various SD1's, 827 and several Minis. Never broke down in any of them.

Did you ever use them?!?!

Hopley89

posted on 28/11/17 at 11:42 PM Reply With Quote
i had a nissan 4x4 recovered home when it broke down, 120miles from my house
and they charged me £70 and he was there within 30min of calling, i don’t bother
with the aa, rac, green flag
better off googling closest recovery company and getting them to come out.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.