Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Furore Products LED Front Light Hack Install
slimjim

posted on 25/2/19 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
Furore Products LED Front Light Hack Install

Hey folks,

Not sure how on topic this post will be for the forum but I'm going to post it anyway.
I was told about the forum due to you guys using the Furore LED lights.
As I used some of the info on here to move forward with my build, I'd let you know a little about it.

I have a VW T4, which is famous for it's awful lights.
These are the stock lights. Which are like candles in a jar on the front of your motor.

Add to this, I updated the van by putting a rare Projekt Zwo body kit on the van, mostly to cover the wide wheels I put on.
These come with the highly prized PZ lights, which if anything, as even WORSE at projecting light than the OEM set.

The outer pair are side lights and main beam. Then the inner pair are full beam.

Got my measuring stick out to try and work out what I was going to do.

Worked out that I could but a set of the Furore LEDs and they "should" fit into the hole perfectly.
so I ordered a set.

They arrived.... The good news, they look like they will fit perfectly!

and bad news, there was no way for me to fit the lights to the PZ units, as there is no way I could fit a mounting ring to them. Had to try and think out of the box.

So, first attempt... I decided to drill out the three holes in the back of the unit and use a rivnut to secure them to a frame I would make. Which I'd then bolt to the main light frame itself.

The nex tstep was to try and work out how I could attach the lights to the main frame.
As they are highly prised, they are worth "a lot of money" which is annoying.... so I decided to cut them up!
Which was OK, as it turned out the metal worm had been at them for a while and they were kind of falling apart in a few places anyway.

The bad news with this was ... the rivnuts were not sturdy enough and the small tabs were just to flexible.
So, I took a decision to trim back the smallest heat sink vanes and allow a wider tab to be used, plus using more right angles in the frame to make it sturdier and bolt to the other vanes instead.

I could now make the tabs much wider and bolt them to the vanes, to be more secure.

I was on a BIG deadline, as I had a VW show to get to the next day, so I forgot to take any more pics of the new frames.
But when I take them apart (soon) to paint them, I'll take some..

(FYI, I also added a new projector Hella light for the main beam, which will be on AS WELL as the main beam in the LED)

Needless to say, I am SO happy with the results.
They now look good (In my opinion) but they also light up the road very well!

Main Beam:

Full Beam:

Again, sorry for being off topic here, just thought I'd give a little back on the lights.

tims31

posted on 25/2/19 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
I used the same light myself on my Fury but the trouble I had was mounting them in the bodywork and getting enough clearance to fit in the original headlight bowls and mounting rings.

In the end I turned down some Ali spacer rings which gave me the clearance required. see here

I tried to wire up the LED indicators but they need power all the time to work and that would cause an issue when it comes to MOT time and the hazards. I did wire them up to work when the car was running and use my originals when the power was off for the hazards but then I had issues using the electronic relay as it would not work correctly with both and gave up for the time being as the weather was nice

Build: http://www.martinsfurybuild.co.uk/

slimjim

posted on 25/2/19 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks tims31 ... I actually used your website as reference for wiring up.

The T4 has stock side indicators, so my stock ones flash "all" the time but the rings flash when the side lights are on too.

tims31

posted on 25/2/19 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
Ahh, that makes things easier.

Glad the information was of use

Build: http://www.martinsfurybuild.co.uk/

Angel Acevedo

posted on 25/2/19 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome to the forum slimjim...
That´s a great first post.
Regards:
Angel Acevedo

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.