Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: of course its the last bolt....
falcor75

posted on 22/4/19 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
of course its the last bolt....

I started stripping down the donor Sierra struts today. Had let all bolts soak in penetrant over night and wirebrushed any threads that stuck out to make sure they dont jam up. Right side went fine, all the parts came apart. Left side too, except for the bolt holding the shock to the upright. it sheared off at the first attempt to free it. Ohwell. up in the vice, centerpunch, nice new drillbit and start drilling out the remains. Here's where the real fun started.
The drillbit didnt exit in the center of the bolt. Somewhere about halfway it started wearing off so now I have half the bolt stuck in the upright.

Is there any chance of fixing this or should I just look for a new upright? They are getting kinda hard to find here in Sweden.

Mr Whippy

posted on 22/4/19 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
If it was me I'd put the hub bearing in water to protect the bearing and get a torch on the broken thread and get it nice and red hot, once cool a god soaking with WD40 etc. You should then find that the bolt thread will turn easily as the rust will have boiled off. Those who deal with old cars know that heat is always your best bet when dealing with stuck bolts.

Leave the part to cool naturally, don't dump it in water or you will make the part brittle.

Oh and I assume you have removed the strut cos if you heat that it will explode throwing boiling hot oil over you and ruin your day...

Don't heat up ball joints either, they also explode

[Edited on 22/4/19 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
CosKev3

posted on 22/4/19 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
Try welding a nut onto the end
gremlin1234

posted on 22/4/19 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
once cool a god soaking with...

in Sweden you may chose thor, (and just hit it with a hammer - again)_
all gods may vary

Mr Whippy

posted on 23/4/19 at 06:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
once cool a god soaking with...

in Sweden you may chose thor, (and just hit it with a hammer - again)_
all gods may vary

may take that as well

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
falcor75

posted on 24/4/19 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
Well I got the remains of the bolt out but theres of course a bit of damage to the threads on one side in the upright. Either I'll have to weld it up and have it remachined or go for a larger diameter bolt or a thru bolts with a nut at the opposite end.
JMW

posted on 24/4/19 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
Is helicoiling it back to standard an option?
Mr Whippy

posted on 25/4/19 at 06:11 AM Reply With Quote
Well done getting it out

I'd go for the larger bolt size, maybe using a capscrew instead of a bolt so the head is still much the same size.

rusty nuts

posted on 25/4/19 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
Use a longer bolt with a nylok nut.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.