Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: I can't be the first, can I?
J666AYP

posted on 26/9/19 at 02:15 AM Reply With Quote
I can't be the first, can I?

Hi gents, have been stuck in a google/YouTube wormhole for the past few hours at work. I can't find a single 7 style kit using the 2.3 kompressor lump that I'm grafting into my little project? Someone else must have done it at some point?

There thousands of the SLK/CLK kompressors out there that can be had for little more than scrap value so it has to have been used at some point?

Does anyone know of another 7 style car running this engine? (if yes links or photos would be VERY handy so I can see how they have got round a few of the more tricky bits).

The closest I have found so far is a chap in the states who was toying with the idea but went for a V6/V8 instead.

Jay

nick205

posted on 26/9/19 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
Can't think of any, but that certainly doesn't mean there aren't any!

Do you have a particular difficulty/challange you need some help with?

LCB is full of knowledgeable folk who've built a variety of differnt cars so there's bound to be some answers here.

J666AYP

posted on 26/9/19 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Can't think of any, but that certainly doesn't mean there aren't any!

Do you have a particular difficulty/challange you need some help with?

LCB is full of knowledgeable folk who've built a variety of differnt cars so there's bound to be some answers here.

nick205,

There is a part that I'm completely stumped with that I was hoping someone would have tackled in the past and that I could copy.

On the NS of the engine block there was a large casing almost like a side mounted sump or oil/vapour separator that was sealed onto the engine block (Mercedes themselves cant even give me any info on this). It has two holes from the block at the bottom and a outlet at the top that leads into the vac system and bottom of the inlet.

Due to the position of the steering column in the 7 style cars I had to switch my supercharger from the OS to the NS and remove this part. My work around was to tap threads into the two holes and run hoses into a small catch can and re-route up into the inlet. I'm hoping it will work but it would be handy finding someone else who has tackled this in the past. I'm now dreading that this thing actually has oil running round inside it not just vapour.

Also finding someone who knows a work around for the std ECU/engine loom without all the junk attached would be very helpful.

nick205

posted on 26/9/19 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
I'm afraid I can't help with that (don't really know much at all about Mercedes engines).
J666AYP

posted on 26/9/19 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
Mercedes cant even help with that hence the search for someone who has already had these troubles haha
bi22le

posted on 26/9/19 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
Do the normal SLK / CLK forums not contain a know it all that may know what it is? Once you know what it is, someone on here will know it's value and application in keeping it.

Regarding wiring loom. Unless your car has lots of snazz VVT, you want to keep the clocks or the gearbox is a clever bitch, just ditch the lot and go for an aftermarket ecu. Plenty out there have capabilities to do clever things. My OMEX 710 manages the the VVT on my Toyota.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

J666AYP

posted on 26/9/19 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
Do the normal SLK / CLK forums not contain a know it all that may know what it is? Once you know what it is, someone on here will know it's value and application in keeping it.

Already tried that route mate, the problem is the usual slk/clk 230 owner either cuts hair or is a ceramic polish fanboy with skinny Jean's... or both haha. They can tell you 5000 names for a haircut but cant change a spark plug between them.

The manly men go for the big V6/V8 engines in those cars.

And the standard ecu was only going to be a up and running kind of thing to speed up the whole process and maybe get some driving time in next summer (then garage it over the winter and go for aftermarket management and a M90).

Jay

[Edited on 26/9/19 by J666AYP]

JC

posted on 27/9/19 at 07:12 AM Reply With Quote
Pictures of the offending item might help.....although that in itself poses its own challenges on here!

How about finding a dead version of the same engine in a scrappers and removing the mysterious item - might give you a clue?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
CosKev3

posted on 27/9/19 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds like a oil trap/separator/flame trap as they have been called on different engines!
So you will be fine with the catch can set up imo,as long as you have not restricted it too much?
If you have you can always add a breather to the cam cover etc

bikenuts

posted on 27/9/19 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
Difficult to be sure without seeing it but sounds like a crankcase oil separator; designed to remove oil from the crankcase gases before there fed back into the engine. On a boosted engine their will usually be two outlets one for on boost and one for off boost. the off boost will usually feed back just after the throttle and the on boost to the air box - basically so the separator will see some vacuum regardless of engine load. There should be a PCV valve or similar in the one circuit to prevent boost pressurising the crankcase excessively.
J666AYP

posted on 27/9/19 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
Hi gent, thanks for the responses.

It's not connected to the rocker breather system. That comes from the dipstick breather to the rocker breather round the back of the block to the engine breather through a chech valve and into the inlet (marked in green on 2nd pic).

The first pic also shows the inside of this mysterious part/chamber with the two holes (red arrows).

The 2nd picture shows the alloy mounting plate in place (cavity is built into this part) this sealed chamber then leads into a valve and into the lower inlet via 2 small nipples. I'm guessing it could be something to do with engine idle or pleasing the emmissions warriors? Or maybe they were just being German engineers and thought they would make a 2nd breather system just because?

[Edited on 27/9/19 by J666AYP]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.