Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Zetecs
Nick

posted on 16/4/20 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
Zetecs

Looking to put a zetec in my locost. 2.0ltrs are hard to get now. Would a 1.8ltr be any good. I'm not bothered about mega power.
Thoughts and experiences people.
Thank you

HowardB

posted on 16/4/20 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
I have a 1.6 in mine, plenty fast enough,.. they were of course designed with the Pinto boat anchor in mind,.. and are raced with 1300's so probably a 1.8 is fine ;0

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

Nick

posted on 16/4/20 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
What inlet system do you use. I was thinking of going single plenum. Kitspares do a awesome one.
SJ

posted on 16/4/20 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
I had a 1.8 BT prior to my current 2.0. Not much between them. The 2.0 has a bit more grunt but the 1.8 was more rev happy, even though it was knackered.

I'd be happy with either.

On induction, I have bike carbs but would definitely have followed Big_Wasa's lead and used standard Ford injection and ignition if he had worked his magic at the time I was building.

[Edited on 16/4/20 by SJ]

HowardB

posted on 16/4/20 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SJ
I had a 1.8 BT prior to my current 2.0. Not much between them. The 2.0 has a bit more grunt but the 1.8 was more rev happy, even though it was knackered.

I'd be happy with either.

On induction, I have bike carbs but would definitely have followed Big_Wasa's lead and used standard Ford injection and ignition if he had worked his magic at the time I was building.

[Edited on 16/4/20 by SJ]

what he said - although I have throttle bodies,..

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

mcerd1

posted on 17/4/20 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
The 1.8 blacktop does love to rev
even the stock 1.8 blacktop in my old tintop was great fun (mk1 focus with just 115ps) I'd love put one in a nice light chassis someday, but I'm too far down the pinto rabbit hole now....

while I know that better cams make a lot more out of one (even the older silvertops could have 130ps) - the way that even the stock blacktop power came in at 3500k and kept pulling all the way to ~6500k put a smile on my face the way that the emissions strangled Duratec in its replacement can't match, even with all the extra power

I know you can make a 2.0 rev (often using 1.8 flywheels) and you can remove the emissions stuff from duratec which obviously make a good engine - but out of the box I still prefer the 1.8 zetec

-

SJ

posted on 17/4/20 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

The 1.8 blacktop does love to rev
even the stock 1.8 blacktop in my old tintop was great fun (mk1 focus with just 115ps) I'd love put one in a nice light chassis someday, but I'm too far down the pinto rabbit hole now....

while I know that better cams make a lot more out of one (even the older silvertops could have 130ps) - the way that even the stock blacktop power came in at 3500k and kept pulling all the way to ~6500k put a smile on my face the way that the emissions strangled Duratec in its replacement can't match, even with all the extra power

I know you can make a 2.0 rev (often using 1.8 flywheels) and you can remove the emissions stuff from duratec which obviously make a good engine - but out of the box I still prefer the 1.8 zetec

I use a 1.8 cvh flywheel with my BT. This weighs around 6.5kg so helps loosen things up a bit! Only downside is a front trigger wheel is needed, which for me was again the one from a 1.8 CVH welded onto the Zetec front pulley.

cliftyhanger

posted on 17/4/20 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
If you want a 2 litre, they come up regularly or ask (people seem to have loads of them stashed away) on facebook, RWD Zetec World.

Given the chance, the std injection looks a very decent choice that will work correctly and drive really well, at the expense of ultimate power. (a tradeoff that doesn't seem worthwhile, until you are driving the car and then you really want the driveability on the road)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.