Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 Cooling - Routing Question
woodsy144

posted on 4/8/20 at 12:12 AM Reply With Quote
R1 Cooling - Routing Question

Hello,
I am setting up the routing design for the R1 engine.
Looking at the original design, on the RHS side of the radiator there are 2 inputs. Top one from the thermostat / top of engine (inlet), and a lower attachment from the oil cooler (oil cooler outlet hose).

I would like to see what people have done with this additional hose.
Help or advise would be great.

[Edited on 4/8/20 by woodsy144]

adithorp

posted on 4/8/20 at 06:35 AM Reply With Quote
Which year/version of R1?

Originally on my 5vy, I fed the oil cooler outlet into the radiator bottom hose (inlet). Partly because this was neater packaging and partly so it wasn't feeding hot coolant from the oil cooler back into the engine. It did mean the engine took longer to warm up but cooled better in higher temps/loads. Worked well for several years.
Eventually I fitted a tuned motor and changed to a separate oil cooler system.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

woodsy144

posted on 4/8/20 at 07:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
Which year/version of R1?

Originally on my 5vy, I fed the oil cooler outlet into the radiator bottom hose (inlet). Partly because this was neater packaging and partly so it wasn't feeding hot coolant from the oil cooler back into the engine. It did mean the engine took longer to warm up but cooled better in higher temps/loads. Worked well for several years.
Eventually I fitted a tuned motor and changed to a separate oil cooler system.

Currently am building it using a 08 engine so a 4C8. but plan is to build a second vehicle with a 2011 engine.
If you have pictures (or links to some pics), it would be great.

[Edited on 4/8/20 by woodsy144]

TimC

posted on 4/8/20 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
Some have seemingly done better with temps but I think the majority who run the 4C8 motor (hard i.e. on track) have removed the interdependence between oil and water cooling.

I used one of these: http://www.gyrodynamics.net/products/oil-cooler-adaptor-yamaha-r1r6/

You can then plumb a straightforward in/out water route with the standard Yam bleed lines left in place.

Worth knowing that the 4C8 hard-pipe where the water enters the block points up/down depending on how you look at it whereas the 5VY points horizontally which aided packaging on my car.

woodsy144

posted on 9/8/20 at 05:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TimC
Some have seemingly done better with temps but I think the majority who run the 4C8 motor (hard i.e. on track) have removed the interdependence between oil and water cooling.

I used one of these: http://www.gyrodynamics.net/products/oil-cooler-adaptor-yamaha-r1r6/

You can then plumb a straightforward in/out water route with the standard Yam bleed lines left in place.

Worth knowing that the 4C8 hard-pipe where the water enters the block points up/down depending on how you look at it whereas the 5VY points horizontally which aided packaging on my car.

Cool thanks for that. Had a look at the gyro product and pulled apart the cooler today. I might have a bit of a crack at making one. I'm building two cars so economy of scale.

Is this item people usually go for building with the R1 (just wondering if I get more made)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.