Board logo

Zetec oil pump priming?
John G - 10/4/23 at 05:38 PM

I have fitted a Raceline wet sump to my Zetec. Is there a way/ need to prime the pump? I have removed the plugs as I wish to get the oil circulated, how long on the statrer untill pressure would build up?
Regards Jon

pigeondave - 10/4/23 at 09:54 PM

My zetec was sitting for a few months. I pulled the ECU fuse so it wouldn't fire the fuel pump or spark and it took about 3x 30second cranks to get the oil pressure guage reading 30lbs.

After that I plugged in the fuse and started the engine.

coyoteboy - 11/4/23 at 03:12 PM

Would you expect the old oil to have left the pump? They're self-priming once they've run once in their life, I can't imagine any need to re-prime personally.

snapper - 12/4/23 at 03:09 AM

quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
Would you expect the old oil to have left the pump? They're self-priming once they've run once in their life, I can't imagine any need to re-prime personally.

Oil can drain back, with any engine start after a layup or engine work it’s worth seeing pressure on the gauge before first fire up, and remember it’s not just the crank that needs looking after, the cams will drain oil back as well

John G - 12/4/23 at 08:46 AM

Thanks for the relpies, I may drain the oil and refill so that the cams are covered in oil. Thought about taking out one of the oil gallery plugs and putting in a threaded adaptor with a hole, atatching a pipe to a funnel and filling with oil. Does anyone know the thread in the oil gallery?

cliftyhanger - 12/4/23 at 09:52 PM

I spin an engine over with plugs removed. Takes the pressure off the big ends/mains, and the engine spins much faster.

I wonder if you can prime the pump via the oil filter, or even the oil pressure switch connetion?