Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: FS - Triumph Rocket III Engine
scootz

posted on 29/5/13 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
FS - Triumph Rocket III Engine

Triumph Rocket III bike-engine for sale!

Surplus to requirements as I've sourced a black engine and everyone knows the black ones go eleventy-million MPH faster than silver ones

Comes with TB's (secondary butterflies removed), all sensors except oil pressure (a £26 part), oil-tank, and a bike driveshaft that you could bastardise to suit your project (these are a few hundred quid on the secondhand market!).

No starter. No ECU (you wouldn't want a standard one anyway as it chokes the engine, and the software to unlock it is as pricey as a new Omex, DTA, etc).

These things would be great in a seven-type car... bike-engine lightness, but 2.3 litres of torquey goodness!
Sequential box. Dry-sumped as standard. Cable clutch for simplicity!

Tuners have established they can run in excess of 8K... some run them at 9k. An aftermarket ECU and good tuning should unleash Hayabusa-humbling performance! TTS have dug around in them and even offer a supercharger kit if you are so inclined.

I'd need £1595 for it which is cheap considering the rarely come up for sale.

There's a fire-damaged one on ebay with no ancillaries for £1k and a recon one for £2.4k. The average price from the States is usually just over £2k landed.

It's Evolution Baby!

Is this a TRADE ADVERTISEMENT?? Click HERE to report it!

twybrow

posted on 29/5/13 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
Scootz - the software/hardware to 'unlock' a standard ECU is not super expensive. It is called Tuneboy, and it costs less than £350 (you need a special cable, and the software that goes with it). What you end up with is a fully 'unlocked ECU, with full access to everything from the fuel and ignition maps, to diagnostics, and sensor information - much more than you would get with a Power Commander.

Good luck with the sale - it could make a cracking BEC!

scootz

posted on 29/5/13 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that... and appologies for not making myself clear.

I don't have a Triumph ECU, so that would have to be added to the cost of the 'tuneboy'. This would likely take the overall cost into Omex, DTA territory. TBH, if the prices were comparable, then I'd personally prefer to go down the aftermarket ECU route as these usually have better functionality than OE ones with 'piggy-back' systems.

I've also found that dyno-tuners prefer to concentrate on certain ECU's with Omex's and DTA's being amongst the most common. I just feel that this would translate into a better set-up engine.

I could be wrong though... I frequenly am!

PS - those single-seater engine covers are still available! Do you know of anyone down your way that could use them? I'd take £100 for both just to free-up some space.

It's Evolution Baby!

mookaloid

posted on 29/5/13 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
That's certainly got some potential

http://www.carpenterracing.com/RIII.htm

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

scootz

posted on 29/5/13 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
They're sleeping giants Mook!

From what I've read 200hp and 200ft/lbs are realistically achievable without digging too deeply into the guts of the engine, or dishing out too much dosh!

It's Evolution Baby!

Peteff

posted on 29/5/13 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
There's one round here in a bike with a supercharger on it.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

scootz

posted on 16/7/13 at 01:24 AM Reply With Quote
I have a starter motor and a prop-shaft for it now!!!

The starters are pretty expensive, so the price will have to go up... but only by £100 (I'll absorb half the starters cost to help shift the engine)

£1695 for the lot!

It's Evolution Baby!

swanny

posted on 16/7/13 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
is there a reason why these havent been more popular in kit cars?

i saw one in a mini sprint car a couple of weeks ago, that must have gone well http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini_sprint

Mr Whippy

posted on 16/7/13 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
I'm hugely disappointed that this just a piston engine, the title is so misleading
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scootz

posted on 16/7/13 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
... and there's not 3 of them either!

It's Evolution Baby!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.