Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Why did you choose 750Mc Locost racing
JohnD

posted on 14/4/16 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
Why did you choose 750Mc Locost racing

Hi all,
I'm going to start racing soon and would like to build my own race car. Being an engineer with freedom to all the workshop facilities building a chassis shouldn't be a problem.
I want a relatively low cost car and have narrowed it down to Locost or 750 Trophy class C.
I would like your views and comments on why you decided to race with the 750Mc Locost series.

1, what attracted you to locost?
2, have you raced in any other series before joining locost?
3, did you consider any other formula?
4, would you have considered a class C historic 750 formula car? And if not, why.

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated and would help me with my quest.

Thanks in advance.
John.

[Edited on 14/4/16 by JohnD]

JacksAvon

posted on 14/4/16 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
1. I chose not to race in Locost
2. While the title may suggest it is low cost, it is not.
3. 1300 xflow engines become harder to find and unless you are a skilled engine builder, a nicely blue printed one will cost a few quid.
4. A chassis can be built provided it is within the reg's
5. "750 Trophy class C" is mainly pre 1974 cars
6. "class C historic 750 formula" is the College entrance class

You may end up with a relatively low cost car, but that is were relatively low cost stops.
From the point of view of expense, you first year will worse.
Car
Trailer
Transponder
Helmet
FHR
Overalls
Boots
Underwear
ARDS Test

750mc membership and championship registration is reasonable
Entry fees are are better than some championships.

If you want to take it seriously you will need to test.
This is normally completed on a Friday, this will double you weekend track time cost and involve three day away
Test Friday, Qualify & Race Saturday, Race Sunday

I started off sprinting, then racing in what was the Tiger Racing series, then the RAFMSA race challenge followed by 750mc Sports Specials.
Time constraints mean I have never really gone for a championship but, I have enjoyed every minute of what I have done.

Regards
Jack

The sickness started in 2001 with a Robin Hood 3A, Prelit Westy,Tiger Cub, Tiger Avon, Tiger R6, 16v Mini, Sylva Fury Fireblade, Westfield Sei, Mallock Mk11, Fireblade Locost, Tiger Avon, Procomp LA Gold, Mk26 Mallock...........and now a Mk18 Mallock.....LR750, Vandiemen FX02

JohnD

posted on 14/4/16 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the response Jack.
I'm under no illusion about the costs involved.
I took my ARDS at the end of last year and have most of my kit. Including a trailer.
I'm just after an insight into why people choose to race in locost rather anything else.

johnnybizzle1986

posted on 15/6/16 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
Joh,

Have you started racing yet? Locost racing is something I have been interested in doing for a couple of years, after building 2 locosts with bike engines road and track days.

I regularly watch the 750mc, and Locost racing appeals to me because of the quantity of carswith wheel to wheel racing, Im looking for somebody/couple of people develop a car with/ split the cost/time and experience as its something I have never done before

Regards Jon

loggyboy

posted on 15/6/16 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
I dont race, but would like to.
Locost is one of the formulas I've looked at but it appears to be oversubscribed IMO, and whilst you want a good amount of racers, too many just makes look like a stockcar/banger race event, especially with (fairly) even car performance.
Ideally id like to do RGBs eventually, but I am leaning towards tintops and my affinity with the clio may means I start there.

I would also personally by a preused car, as I wouldnt want to spend many hours on a chassis only to have it bent after a few weekend play.

Mistral Motorsport

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.