Board logo

LocostBuilders 'camp out' event
ChrisW - 28/3/11 at 11:29 PM

There has been an idea proposed to me that we organise a LocostBuilders 'camp out' weekend, which sounds like a fun idea to me and a way of getting everyone together. Basically a camping weekend with cars.

I've done some preliminary research into locations, costs, etc and now would like a show of interest from you as to whether you would be interested in coming along, any suggestions, etc. Obviously there's no point in organising it all if nobody is going to show up!

A family friend has a plot of land we can hire. He uses it for fetes, shows, etc. It's on the A413 just North of Aylesbury in Buckinghamshire, quite a well known stretch both for it being a 'good road' but also, probably for the same reason, for having the highest motorbike accident rate in Thames Valley. It's a great drive in a seven as long as you're sensible, and I'm sure people will want to take advantage of that.

(Note that I only know the owner's brother-in-law who tells me that the site is available for rent for this kind of thing and has given me a rough price. I've not spoken to the actual owner yet, hence not saying exactly where the site is. I'm sure anyone local can work it out though!)

So, the plan would be something along the lines of:

- Arrive Saturday after lunch, say 3pm onwards, set up tents, etc
- BBQ for Saturday evening, all catered (burgers, sausage, hog roast, etc)
- Marquee with a bar and some live music until late
- Some things to keep the kids occupied if people are bringing them along!
- Sleep
- Morning breakfast, again all catered (bacon sarnies, tea/coffee, that kind of thing)
- Head off mid-morning

I'll lay on mobile toilet blocks, showers for the morning, etc. Will have security on the gate and walking around all night to keep an eye on people's cars.

Also hoping to persuade some of the traders to bring their wares to demonstrate/drool over/etc. Hopefully we can get some rides and/or test drives going on.

Price would be about £30 per person which would include all food and hot drinks. Beer will have to be on top, but I'll make sure it's sensibly priced not like at the mainstream shows.

Note that I'm not doing this to make cash out of you lot, so I'll take a rough idea of how many people are coming and divide the cost between. Anything left will either go on improving the event/facilities/food/etc.

I'd expect to do this during July to guarantee good weather. I'll take feedback on whether doing it during the school holidays makes it more or less attractive!

So, over to you. Is this something you would like to get involved with? Is the date suitable? Price reasonable? Anything you would do different? Anything else you'd like to see there?

Cheers, Chris

James - 29/3/11 at 12:10 AM

Sounds like a really nice idea.

My attendance depends on me getting some work though and being able to afford it!

Cheers,
James

mad4x4 - 29/3/11 at 01:27 AM

Could we not get a site a weeeee bit further north. This will only be a 12 hr drive if I were to come. Some where about cumbria or north Yorkshire would be better.

gavin174 - 29/3/11 at 05:39 AM

sounds like a good plan to me..

HowardB - 29/3/11 at 05:54 AM

sounds good, weekends are busy, so apologies in advance if it clshes and I can't make it.

in support of a northern event, in addition to a Beds/Herts and Bucks one. Perhaps there could be one in Scotland and a tour between them?

bob - 29/3/11 at 06:37 AM

Count me in Chris.

karlak - 29/3/11 at 07:05 AM

Sounds good to me, again depending on date and not clashing with work.

whitestu - 29/3/11 at 07:12 AM

I could be up for it depending on when it is.

Stu

omega0684 - 29/3/11 at 07:14 AM

Im up for that. sounds like a right laugh,

surely we could arrange a blat out as well, saturday morning or sunday afternoon for lunch before returning to the camp site or our homes?

liam.mccaffrey - 29/3/11 at 07:14 AM

sounds awesome I'd love to go pending permission from Mrs Mc and our 2 month old

Daddylonglegs - 29/3/11 at 07:20 AM

Sounds like a plan to me, best get on and finish the car then

MK9R - 29/3/11 at 07:21 AM

How about holding it at a 750MC race weekend??? Camp at the circuit, BBQ, beer and racing, does it get much better????

Donington is central and holding a full weekend this summer?

[Edited on 29/3/11 by MK9R]

pekwah1 - 29/3/11 at 07:42 AM

sounds really good but no chance of my car being ready, i'll have to find a free seat somewhere i guess.....!

rallyingden - 29/3/11 at 07:52 AM

Another vote from a Northener ........ Donnington would be OK or in that area if you dont want to combine racing weekend costs.

RD

steve m - 29/3/11 at 08:34 AM

Count me in, assuming im not on shift, or away with family in the caravan

Andy, can come up with me?

chrisxr2 - 29/3/11 at 09:02 AM

sounds good to me.

blakep82 - 29/3/11 at 10:24 AM

way too far south

looking at the map, its not like most builder are in the south with a few further up north, its an equal spread (in england at least)

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=103389385780517934652.00046cd68141a23c2af63

[Edited on 29/3/11 by blakep82]

Miks15 - 29/3/11 at 10:41 AM

I'm game if I can come on my bike and not a kit, doubt it'll be ready by then ha.
With regards to location if its too far south we live on a farm near Newark and have a camp site which I'm sire my parents will do a good deal on if this suits people better, I'm not trying to say your location is rubbish as.I can probably get there but if the general consensus wants it further north this might be a better idea.

pekwah1 - 29/3/11 at 11:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by steve m
Count me in, assuming im not on shift, or away with family in the caravan

Andy, can come up with me?

Missus not invited then
Otherwise that'd be great! could finally get your kitcar issue back to you!

steve m - 29/3/11 at 11:08 AM

Wife has only been in my car twice in 11 years, and complained both times

So no, but some one elses wife !!

pekwah1 - 29/3/11 at 11:16 AM

i'll be your wife for the day.....

bi22le - 29/3/11 at 11:22 AM

Yep sounds good.

As long as its not too far north!!!!

Although I think it would be alot of fun if people from the south met up and took a windy route up in convoy.

I like the idea of doing it on a 750 weekend, hopefully RGB. It means that the focus is taken away from driving like loons on public roads and escalating to something people regret. Also means that we can offer support to all of the racers on here.

I am free all July at the mo but will be doing track days, oh maybe I could tie a northan track day in. THis is getting better by the second.

Trackday Friday, camping and RGB Sat and Sun. Perfect I think

Would be really good to meet up with you lot too. HAve a sniff around your cars, pinch some ideas and chink a beer.

Biz

RichardK - 29/3/11 at 11:26 AM

Count me in subject to bla bla

MK9R - 29/3/11 at 11:36 AM

quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
Yep sounds good.

As long as its not too far north!!!!

Although I think it would be alot of fun if people from the south met up and took a windy route up in convoy.

I like the idea of doing it on a 750 weekend, hopefully RGB. It means that the focus is taken away from driving like loons on public roads and escalating to something people regret. Also means that we can offer support to all of the racers on here.

I am free all July at the mo but will be doing track days, oh maybe I could tie a northan track day in. THis is getting better by the second.

Trackday Friday, camping and RGB Sat and Sun. Perfect I think

Would be really good to meet up with you lot too. HAve a sniff around your cars, pinch some ideas and chink a beer.

Biz

A weekend that had locost, kits and RGB would be perfect, something for everyone

Humbug - 29/3/11 at 12:29 PM

Put me down as a possible (subject to being free that particular weekend, etc.) - the original suggestion of Aylesbury would be fine for me

Steve Hignett - 29/3/11 at 12:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MK9R
A weekend that had locost, kits and RGB would be perfect, something for everyone

I assume that Strippers/Poledancers are mandatory, and that's why you didn't mention them???

ChrisW - 29/3/11 at 04:29 PM

It was pending the outcome of the question about whether people will want to bring wives and kids?

Chris

hicost - 29/3/11 at 05:03 PM

HI Chris

Great idea count me in and probably a couple more depending on date.

Look forward to the date

James

scutter - 29/3/11 at 05:27 PM

I should be about, just not in May as i'm on guard

ATB Dan.

steve m - 29/3/11 at 06:13 PM

Why, would anyone want to bring there wife????

looks like ive got a new one for the weekend hahahahaha

ChrisW - 29/3/11 at 07:00 PM

Looks like this might be a go-er then. Next step is to have a word with the guy that owns the place.

Chris

Krismc - 29/3/11 at 07:54 PM

too far soooth

scutter - 29/3/11 at 08:31 PM

It does seem a long way from the guys 'UP' north, as a guess Newcastle must be a 5 hrs drive. Is there no where that anyone knows of around the Leicester way that could be used?

I don't mind travelling, but it is going to be hard to keep everyone happy.

ATB Dan.

bi22le - 29/3/11 at 09:21 PM

It will be very hard to please everybody.

Is there somewhere middle England that is about 2 => 2.5 hours drive?

My wife may want to come, if not Ill bring a friend. My wife is a chatter box and will get on with everybody. She is a great laugh and a good passenger so its no skin on my nose. She may even go halves on the fuel!!

coozer - 29/3/11 at 11:03 PM

Aye, somewhere in the Midlands, like Doncaster or Newark, middle of the country like

mangogrooveworkshop - 30/3/11 at 05:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by steve m
Why, would anyone want to bring there wife????

looks like ive got a new one for the weekend hahahahaha

I would if I had one .......

carpmart - 1/4/11 at 04:52 PM

Sounds good dependent on not clashing date wise, with other commitments!

Fizzer - 7/4/11 at 12:24 PM

I'm in, depending on the weekend! SOunds like great, used to do a lot of bike rallys 'way back when' - great fun.

ChrisW - 20/4/11 at 04:49 PM

Right everyone

Met up with the guy that owns the site today and it sounds like this could be a go-er subject to getting a decent number of people to commit. I'm thinking 50 cars with 2 people per car is about right to achieve a ~£30 price point.

He's got to check the 'sheep rotation' and is going to get back to me after the weekend to confirm which weekends are available, but it seems mid-July is the time to do it. Also the chances are that the weather will be better.

The site is here: Google Maps. I know it's a bit far South, but it would be a lot more work for me to arrange it further North, and as this is the first event I need to start somewhere. Plus, wherever I do it, someone won't be happy.

Also hoping I can make it worthwhile for those up North to make the trip, even if it's 4-up (ie fuel sharing) in the tin top!

So I'm thinking that the next step is to confirm dates with the land owner and then open the floor for deposits of say £10. When I've got a sufficicient number of people signed up I can move forward with a booking for all the stuff required.

Comments at this point, people??

Chris

cloudy - 20/4/11 at 04:51 PM

Very local to me, I'd definitely pop down for the day

James

ReMan - 20/4/11 at 04:58 PM

Final date dependant on hols but otherwise count me in

ChrisW - 20/4/11 at 07:26 PM

Is the general consensus to do it in the school holidays? Or before??

Those with kids, would you want to bring them? (ie do I need to think about things for them to do)

Chris

hobbsy - 20/4/11 at 07:59 PM

As long as its not too late in July I'd be up for it

RoadkillUK - 20/4/11 at 08:00 PM

Not exactly central UK is it? Can't really make it down there, cheers anyway.

flak monkey - 20/4/11 at 08:04 PM

Sounds good to me

Got a lot on over the summer, so the sooner we know a date the better

bob - 20/4/11 at 11:55 PM

My 50th in july so its date dependant, i'm definatly up for it if dates are good.

t16turbotone - 21/4/11 at 05:37 AM

yeah.....ime up for it

jollygreengiant - 21/4/11 at 07:25 AM

Things are tight at the mo for me, with whats been going on, but I would go if I could dependent on date and finances.

carpmart - 21/4/11 at 07:41 AM

Sounds good but as with everyone else, its date dependent as I'm on holiday at the end of July!

Bluemoon - 21/4/11 at 10:57 AM

Great idea..

blueskate - 21/4/11 at 12:22 PM

Sounds good to me. keep us posted

blueskate - 21/4/11 at 12:22 PM

Sounds good to me. keep us posted

locoboy - 2/5/11 at 02:42 PM

I would be interested in this for sure. Keep us updated,
Col

Pezza - 2/5/11 at 03:08 PM

robocog - 30/5/11 at 04:10 PM

yes....any news updates?

andy188 - 4/7/11 at 12:06 PM

Hi, any dates yet, would like to meet up with u all,

thanks andy

donn006 - 9/7/11 at 10:13 AM

ill be interested as well

ChrisW - 1/3/12 at 01:19 PM

Right boys and girls, I've been flirting with this idea for far too long now, so it's about time I got around to organising it.

Provisional date at the moment is XXXXXX July. That's a good few weeks before the school holidays, and suitably after Stoneleigh, Le Mans, etc. I've still got to clear this with the land owner, and that's subject to a reasonable number of people wanting to attend (as he's agreed to charge per head, based on a miminim), so the date is very much provisional at this stage.

EDIT: This date is no longer doable due to the site not being available. New date is 28-29th July. See page 4 for more.

It will be held just outside the village of Weedon, North of Aylesbury on the A413.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=aylesbury&hl=en&ll=51.851474,-0.817237&spn=0.019882,0.043387&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=19.54324 6,44.428711&hnear=Aylesbury,+Buckinghamshire,+United+Kingdom&t=h&z=15

I'm working on having a fully catered option to encourage people to come in their kits, ie no need to pack BBQ's, food, etc. Just a tent and a sleeping bag is all you'll need. Also hoping to make it reasonably family friendly for those with kids.

I'd really like a show of hands of people that would be interested... I'll set up a poll shortly for this purpose, but any comments welcome.

Cheers, Chris

[Edited on 30/3/2012 by ChrisW]

cloudy - 1/3/12 at 01:24 PM

Sounds good, I'm no distance at all, so would try and get down in the R4, even if just for the day..

James

speedyxjs - 1/3/12 at 01:31 PM

I will ask the missus tonight to make sure she's not playing in an orchestra that weekend

Mr C - 1/3/12 at 02:33 PM

Chris, I'd be interested in coming along though this does clash with the Classic Lemans, not sure if this will affect the potential attendance.

ChrisW - 1/3/12 at 02:38 PM

Good spot, thanks!

Chris

ali f27 - 1/3/12 at 02:38 PM

H iwould be nice to have a meet further north so Scottish boys could go without having to do 8/10 hours just wondered if could be combined with Wigton motor club cumbria classic car weekend at dalemain just a thought could have a run out up hartside or somewhere in lakes
Cheers Ali

ChrisW - 1/3/12 at 02:43 PM

I appreciate it's a long way, but be aware that wherever I run the event someone will have to travel.

I also have to consider how many visits I'll need to make to the site, and the value of my contacts and 'local knowledge' in making the event run smoothly.

All things considered, I'm confident that I've chosen the best location for the event. I appreciate it's not ideal for some members, and perhaps we can address this in later years, but at the present time I'm not considering any other locations.

Cheers, Chris

theduck - 1/3/12 at 02:53 PM

MrsDuck and me would be well up for this, although we'd be coming down in a tintop as the kit wont be road legal.

As we'd be in the tin top happy to provide a 'luggage' service for members in the area who want to bring their kits but cant carry all they need, likely be in the Puma still so although a coupe plenty of space with the seats down to get stuff in.

ali f27 - 1/3/12 at 02:59 PM

Hi Chris i know from experiance that organising an event is never easy and an event in the north would have to be organised and run from up here you would be welcome any time up here but trips to organise would be mad just thought your idea was great lots of us would like to meet but bucks would mean about 4 days for some with travel might be nice to start a poll cumbria would catch both the scottish lads and northern boy if anybody is interested post on here these things dont organise themselves good luck Chris .
Ali

karlak - 1/3/12 at 03:03 PM

Interested but the work Rota has me down for Oncall that weekend. May be able to pop by during the day hopefully.

ChrisW - 1/3/12 at 03:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by karlak
Interested but the work Rota has me down for Oncall that weekend. May be able to pop by during the day hopefully.

Surely 4.5 months is plenty of time to arrange a swap??

Chris

karlak - 1/3/12 at 04:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
quote:
Originally posted by karlak

Surely 4.5 months is plenty of time to arrange a swap??

Chris

LOL - you'd think so would'nt you... Except some clever managers have made nearly everyone redundant

Proby - 1/3/12 at 05:11 PM

I'm pretty sure I'd be up for this, the Mrs' would want to come too though, she gets on great with the lads (ooo er not like that!) and is a petrol head, would just ship kids off to the parents for the weekend.

jollygreengiant - 1/3/12 at 06:05 PM

Sounds gooooooood, just getting a deposit to you could be an issue as I DONT do pay pal. could always send it to you in a plain paper sealed addressed bag.

ChrisW - 1/3/12 at 06:23 PM

You don't have to 'do' Paypal to send a payment with it. You only have to sign up if you want receive money. Sending to someone is just a case of telling it you want to do a one-time payment and entering your card details - no registration or anything like that.

Nevertheless, I'll consider taking cheque payments I guess.

Chris

ChrisW - 5/3/12 at 01:57 PM

Nobody else got a comment to make on this? I thought there would be more enthusiasm!!

A weekend away, cars, beer, camping, a bit of entertainment... what's not to like?

Chris

tomouse - 5/3/12 at 04:12 PM

sounds good.. i only live a mile away! i assume its the field they use for the county show. can get very muddy if we have a wet spring, but thats the case with any field i guess, great location.

stig mills - 5/3/12 at 10:54 PM

Fantastic news, at last a kit car gathering in the summer. I have never understood why all the kit shows are in the early or late summer when the weather is less likelyto be fine. Lets hope this one is blessed with excellent weather.

mazie - 5/3/12 at 11:34 PM

Ill be up for that, The RGB 750mc tie sounds perfect, so does Wayne's idea of a trackday friday :-)

Blackbird Rush - 6/3/12 at 07:29 AM

I'd be up for it if the dates dont clash with anything.

adithorp - 6/3/12 at 08:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by mazie
Ill be up for that, The RGB 750mc tie sounds perfect, so does Wayne's idea of a trackday friday :-)

Are you getting this mixed up with the new Donington kit show?

I'll most probably be there, as long as nothing else comes up that weekend.

Hammy360 - 22/3/12 at 11:41 PM

Im definitely up for it, car will be finished by then so that would be a great trip / meet

Andybarbet - 23/3/12 at 12:12 AM

Im up for this, will probably bring my son too, anyone that knows me will know him, we are never far apart & at 12 years old he's now getting very helpful in the garage.

I will see if some of the local builders in North herts are up for it too.

Its been a couple of years since my tent saw the light of day

ChrisW - 23/3/12 at 03:07 PM

Well, it sounds like sufficient numbers are up for this to run the event so I've been to see the owner of the site today and am waiting for a confirmation that we can have it on 7-8th July. With any luck I should know on Monday whether the dates work for him, then I can make a final decision as to whether this is a go-er or not.

If you've not already voted here please do so. This isn't a commitment, just giving me an idea of numbers.

http://locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/16/viewthread.php?tid=167101

Cheers, Chris

ChrisW - 30/3/12 at 07:06 PM

Right, having spoken to the land owner, it seems the 7/8th July isn't doable. The next best option I've been offered is 28/29th July. If not, it'll be early September which I'd rather avoid.

How do people feel about that as a revised date?

Chris

Andybarbet - 30/3/12 at 09:23 PM

July - Im pretty sure thats good for me, September is out due to work commitments though.

bob - 30/3/12 at 09:36 PM

That weekend is ok with me.

Mr C - 30/3/12 at 10:00 PM

Its a possible, but not a cert, as we are attempting to get to Italy, in the car about then. I'll need to check annual leave, travel times, etc

ChrisW - 2/4/12 at 01:17 PM

Anyone else care to comment?

Chris

richard thomas - 2/4/12 at 06:35 PM

I'd love to attend, but at the forefront of my mind is that the dates are within the start of the school holidays and we will probably be away then or thereabouts.....maybe similar for most with kids? Then again, there will never be a date that suits all.....good luck though!!

Xtreme Kermit - 3/4/12 at 08:23 PM

I thought it was a good idea last year Chris but couldnt make the dates work.

End of July sounds good to me, even though it's starting into the hols. So at the moment... I'm in.

adithorp - 3/4/12 at 09:17 PM

Deffinatly can't do that weekend as I'll be in France.

Bluemoon - 4/4/12 at 12:19 PM

Unfortunately I have to plan my diary about 6months ahead do to wifes commitments, I can't make it now.. Our diary was planed around the original date..

[Edited on 4/4/12 by Bluemoon]

theduck - 11/4/12 at 08:32 PM

I'm working that weekend so possibly a no go for me to.

Edit. Saying that I should be done by 1pm and it's about hour and half from me according to google so should be ok to get there Saturday afternoon

[Edited on 11/4/12 by theduck]

Ben_Copeland - 11/4/12 at 08:47 PM

If the cars on the road for then... i'll be coming

maccmike - 11/4/12 at 08:49 PM

Id be in if its atleast 8 weeks away and bit further north.

MakeEverything - 11/4/12 at 09:31 PM

Hi Chris,

Remember This and your U2U response regarding liabilities etc? What's changed?

BigMac - 12/4/12 at 01:42 PM

Gives me something to aim for in terms of completion, I'm good to attend on those revised dates!

ChrisW - 12/4/12 at 04:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything
Hi Chris,

Remember This and your U2U response regarding liabilities etc? What's changed?

I don't remember I'm afraid!

Chris

steve m - 12/4/12 at 06:23 PM

Im sure the late july date is a no for me, will have to check with the boss later

Steve

paulf - 7/5/12 at 05:05 PM

So is this likely to happen this year? if so which dates? I would like to attend but need to make sure that I book the time off work in advance to be sure of getting the days off.
Paul

jossey - 7/5/12 at 05:11 PM

Sooooooooo :-)

Fozzie - 7/5/12 at 06:28 PM

28th/29th deffo no go-er here.....

I will be housebound due to all roads being shut for the Olympic Road races ....completely surrounded by
closed roads......................

computid - 7/5/12 at 06:34 PM

I'll come along in one kit or another

Whats the plan for paying etc?

If you need a hand with anything Chris then I'm just down the road in Leighton Buzzard and happy to lend a helping hand.

JC - 27/6/12 at 06:53 AM

Without wishing to steal any thunder, I am organising a village beer fest for the 13th October, here in Welbourn, lincs. we have a large sports field that allows camping and has facilities in the village hall. I would be willing to look into extending this into a locostbuilders camp out if there was any interest!

Disgruntled karter - 27/6/12 at 07:00 AM

Yes vote from me