Board logo

Wrong kind of black
Banana - 26/9/16 at 05:46 PM

Can someone recommend a black paint that will closest match the colour of a standard MK wishbone?

I had my lowers all shot blasted and tested some black metal semi gloss from Aldi on them - but the finish is almost too glossy.

I guess they are powder coated originally from MK and this gives a much more subtle gloss finish..

any ideas?

Just let them get dirty perhaps..

Nickp - 26/9/16 at 06:31 PM

Toolstation do a matt/satin/gloss versions of black, seems decent stuff, just used gloss on my 'bones

myke pocock - 26/9/16 at 06:47 PM

Christ!!! at my age I would love to give my bones a quick coat of paint to freshen them up. Sadly I will be changing my name to Arthur Itus!

gremlin1234 - 26/9/16 at 07:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Banana
Can someone recommend a black paint that will closest match the colour of a standard MK wishbone?

I had my lowers all shot blasted and tested some black metal semi gloss from Aldi on them - but the finish is almost too glossy.

I guess they are powder coated originally from MK and this gives a much more subtle gloss finish..

any ideas?

Just let them get dirty perhaps..
give the paint a rub of 240grit 'sandpaper' should dull it down quite well

ReMan - 26/9/16 at 08:27 PM

Satin is closer to the powdercoat gloss imho

BenB - 26/9/16 at 08:49 PM

Plasticote rattle can satin black is very close imho

Banana - 26/9/16 at 09:11 PM

Well I was going to try Plasticote, however i called them to make an enquiry and they advised against it for this type of application.

I might key it with some 240 paper, then apply some rattle can satin black. Should be pretty well protected by the end of it!

PAUL FISHER - 26/9/16 at 09:59 PM

I used Wilko's satin black spray paint on my Mk, it was a perfect match to the Mk powder coat.

Banana - 27/9/16 at 07:08 AM

Thanks, i'll give that a go.