Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BEDs, HERTs and BUCKs run Sat 30th August
ChrisL

posted on 28/8/14 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
BEDs, HERTs and BUCKs run Sat 30th August

SKCC style blat, start at Great Dunmow @6:30 AM heading for Huntingdon.
Apologies for the short notice, been busy!
PM me for the route

Cheers
Chris

[Edited on 28/8/14 by ChrisL]

Trollyjack

posted on 28/8/14 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
Dont you mean Saturday 30th its the 28th today

TrollyJack

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ChrisL

posted on 28/8/14 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
Do'h yes the 30th, thanks for spotting the err deliberate error :-)
AndyW

posted on 28/8/14 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
Chris, thanks for the route's, I will meet at Rutland if that's ok I will head there and aim for 9.30 latest.

See you there

Andy

ChrisL

posted on 29/8/14 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Andy,
I was slightly confused by your post, until I realised that Mark sent you the routes. OK see you in Rutland.
BTW make sure you follow the route to the cafe, there was some confusion the last time we went there with a few ending up at the wrong cafe (as they'd seen a cafe and ignored the route!)

[Edited on 29/8/14 by ChrisL]

AndyW

posted on 29/8/14 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Chris,

I have just posted on the SKCC thread,

going to have to pull out as my son has been taken ill, and my parent's don't/wont have him over night as planned

Hope you have a good trip and will catch up soon.

cheers

Andy

[Edited on 29/8/14 by AndyW]

ChrisL

posted on 29/8/14 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
Now worries, hope your son is feeling better soon!
I'll hopefully be organising a run, in these parts, before the weather sets in....

greenwood03

posted on 1/9/14 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
Report from yesterdays run out. We had guys from Grimsby, Manchester, Nottingham, and then as far down south as Eastbourne - 15 of us in total....

Well where to start – at the beginning?
Actually we’ll reach back a tad farther. SKCC does indeed have some more Northerly members, actually scratch that – PALS. It was about time that a few Southerners reciprocated, the likes of Paul/Linda/Chris have all been down this way before, so why not venture ‘up country’. A win/win, see old pals, meet folks who’ve we’ve only ‘seen’ on the forum or on dodgy videos – and take in some new roads….Puuuuurfeck.

Yep, til we worked out the timing. ‘Bloody Hell Rodney’ – that’s early…..yep, the first meet was timed to LEAVE Lakeside/Thurrock at 05.50, but we figured we’d better have a coffee and a McThingy, so we were a tad earlier than that. Hats off to Duncan for his super early start from Eastbourne – although i did put a black mark in the book for ‘use of shower cap’ – sorry DJ, shower caps are for the fairer sex in the bathroom….

So Richard, Tony B, DJ and myself knocked off 40 motorway miles to meet the rest of the Southern/Mid Posse….now i’ll admit that the instructions about where to meet were a little vague -’ just as you exit the village, find somewhere and pull up’….so we did, only to find 15 mins later that so had the others – just not quite ‘as you leave the village’ – more like a couple of miles down the road…..so we had a slightly belated ‘real’ start.

Now we’d had a couple of showers between Lakeside and that first met, but the skies although threatening started to gradually give way to clearer, brighter patches…and the roads in many places were pretty dry, which was handy, because according to my Sat Nav the whole days planning/timing was looking – well IFFY. A look at the Sat Nav told me we’d be there at 10-45, only an hour and a quarter after the allotted slot…..

Now here’s where weird gets weirder….we have a pretty clear run and on B Roads with NSL we were at that point constantly – and yet the minutes refused to tick down….to the point where i was going into corners doing mental maths ( as well as steering)….’How the Frig can it still be an hour and a half when we only have 50 miles to do’ ….repeated at regular 5 mile intervals. I’m going to use that as my excuse for missing a few turns, but you know what, missed turns, dodgy waypoints – they’re part and parcel of having a laugh…which is what we’re all about.

For a change i’m not going to wax lyrical about the roads – but stand on me Guvnor they were brilliant, someone had turned them up to 11 ! Nope, today i’ll talk about the scenery, the villages were simply stunning, as were a number of the views….i could quite happily spend a wee while exploring that neck of the woods ( don’ ask me which neck of the woods – i’m about to try and find those pretty villages on google in a mo )….anyway where was i?

Ah yes, finally as we neared Rutland Water the ETA versus Miles finally corrected itself, telling us that we’d be there about – spot on, but meanwhile Tony needed go go juice, thing was that i suspect that no sports car owners will be welcome back at that Garage after they realise who left them bereft of Air Freshener – it comes to something when the smell of petrol is preferable to what was left in their once spotless toilets…..

One kind of poop merged with another – a blooming Triathlon, heading for…..Rutland Water, what’s the chances eh? Worsened by the School Boy error of doing an ITN to the wrong Cafe – the one we stopped at last year was sooooo much better. Anyhoooo. We rocked up in the car park with the others and the handshakes and welcomes flowed, a prelude to proper Banter. The Baps held so much promise but were a let down – and they struggled to comprehend the difference between black and white, either that or someone was on a wind up with the milk in my coffee!

Now at this stage we’d been fed and watered and the group moved en-masse back to the cars to ‘do’ Lindas route that she’d kindly stitched together….except actually we weren’t en-masse:Richard and Mango were missing, so with engines fired up we waited a while wondering where they were and whether they’d join us ( they had mentioned just having Brekkie with us)….guys, apologies, we did hang around for a while, but clearly not long enough!

If the earlier mornings efforts in terms of wrong turns was my fault, i can only say – it wasn’t me. Nope, Tony/John ( midzero ) and someone else – cant think who all made little faux-pas, which made the running order – interesting. It was a neat little 70 miler to a Marina that Linda had found – nice one L, but on getting there we found that Tony who’d got lost within the first 3 miles was there, along with Paul, Lawrence ….no idea how that happened.

Banter Round 2.
No idea what the topics were. but the hour or so that we were there went in the blink of an eye….and suddenly reality set in – mm we’d better get cracking. The group peeled off at various times and Tony and I made our way together toward Cambridge and then down the M11 – a nice uneventful run back.

No idea exactly how many miles it was in total, i know it was 155 from Thurrock to Rutland and another 70 or so as a 'full group'...but to be frank, wouldnt matter if it was 300 or 500…..because irrespective it was a fantastic day. Great company, superb roads, nice weather – and what i’d call – an Adventure, something different to the normal Sunday Runs that we do as of a weekend in SKCC..

http://southernkitcars.comIntermarque Club for owners in the South/South East

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.