Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: School Run, spy cameras
r1_pete

posted on 6/11/13 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
School Run, spy cameras

What do we think of this initiative??

Sky news link

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MakeEverything

posted on 6/11/13 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
For.

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=124672

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

PAUL FISHER

posted on 6/11/13 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
Superb idea, and give them all 3 points at least, it will soon stop the idiots
r1_pete

posted on 6/11/13 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
Richard, hope she's OK.

Yes I'm for it.

Thats the sort of thing I dread happening when I drive through the double illegally parked cars outside the schools I pass, fortunately not at chucking out time very often....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ashg

posted on 6/11/13 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
i think slow heavy traffic outside schools is excellent, round our way it get so clogged up that the kids are safe as houses. the average speed is about 5mph! at school kickout time. look at it this way. If there are no cars blocking the roads outside schools picking kids up, there will be fools driving through at 40-50 in a 20-30 zone. mix that with childern and its not a broken leg/arm/rib its a dead child. removing the parking restrictions and intoxicating them with traffic fumes is also far better than running them over.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

Peteff

posted on 6/11/13 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
The school run turns a couple of villages round here into bottlenecks with the main road literally becoming a one way system for the duration. Once you start to go you have nowhere to get in if someone comes the other way and it always causes problems.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

whitestu

posted on 6/11/13 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
It seems really unfair on those who, whilst their legs appear to work fine, are unable to walk for more than five yards and so have to park right outside wherever they are going.
MikeRJ

posted on 6/11/13 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by whitestu
It seems really unfair on those who, whilst their legs appear to work fine, are unable to walk for more than five yards and so have to park right outside wherever they are going.

Just like those poor souls that drive around the supermarket entrance waiting for a free disabled or parent and child space because they are unable to walk the 50-100 yards from the numerous spaces at the other side of the car park?

I would welcome anything that targets the selfish lazy gits who completely clog the roads at my daughters school as they appear to believe that parking restrictions don't apply to them. No space left on the road, zig zag area all filled up? Never mind, just park on the pavement instead and force kids to go out into the road to get around your badly parked car

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 6/11/13 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
Plenty of posts here agreeing that there is a problem with the actions of the parents in dropping their kids off at school. I'll agree as well, I can't believe the attitide of those behind the wheels of the hoards of chelsea tractors. Huge great shining monster vehicles, one kid each.

Thing is... I don't agree that yet another CCTV system is the way forward. The Bliar surveillance society has flourished under the present administration, and looks set to only expand.

What next, CCTV embedded into all citizens, with line feed to the NSA....

Kerching £

Madinventions

posted on 6/11/13 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like a job for a traffic warden rather than a computer with a camera to me.

Mojo build diary: http://www.madinventions.co.uk

Solo music project: Syrrenfor http://www.reverbnation.com/syrrenfor

View my band website:
http://www.shadowlight.org.uk

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk/

morcus

posted on 6/11/13 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
I just skimmed the article and while I agree doing something to prevent illegal parking would be a good thing, I really don't agree with an automated system. You see all the time people being wrongly caught by this kind of system, usually it's people in bus lanes getting out the way of emergency vehicles but I've seen things of people being given automated parking tickets when they've been stationairy but not parked, and I don't think they have a system that can deal with this sort of situation.

Something else that is always stumped me is the attitude most councils seem to have to this sort of thing, in that they won't allow the schools to have places for people to park, even at brand new schools built in places where they could.

What I also don't get is why do so many people spend so much time dropping off and collecting there children? I used to see it all the time when I lived nere the school, parent have turned up at 2, and not just a few of them but loads of them, taken up all the parking at the pub and the shops and are there for the best part of two hours, same in the morning, get there really early, then stay really late, If you've got that sort of time you shouldn't be driving as they're clearly not going to work and most primary schools are meant to get most of the pupils from within walking distance so the numbers don't add up.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

Not Anumber

posted on 6/11/13 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
Only ok IMHO if there are free short stay parking spaces available within walking distance.

I got nabbed by a camera car whilst dropping my kids off to school. The s*ds managed to get 3 photos from the rear of the car within 10 seconds - the very narrow window between the doors closing and the car pulling away. The tricky gits would have been entirely aware i was in the car as this was clearly a monentary pull in and drop off but in the pictures my head was obscured by the headrest so it looked like the car was illegally parked.

Telling people to walk is as much use as an udder on a bull frankly when you live over a mile from the school and have young children to be dropped off on the way to work. Local council's should just work this out and provide a 5 minute amnesty for parking in a zone near to but not directly outside the school.

coyoteboy

posted on 6/11/13 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
For. There's too many idiots around schools in the morning. Choking the roads up so it's slow is fine, if the kids crossing don't run out and get hit by slow cars - cars don't have to be going fast to crush and kill and in the general madness that is a school drop-off/pick up time it's very easy not to notice the kid that fell under your wheels or the side of the car.

Apart from anything, there's too many morons about parking illegally at the best of times.

SteveWalker

posted on 6/11/13 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
My wife suffers from intermittent, severe hip pain and needs to park close. If she turns up anywhere near pick-up time, there are no places to park. There used to be more spaces, but the school had two additional gates put in and the zig-zags extended along most of the road to cover all three gates, the large houses opposite were converted to flats so there are more residents' cars, and the teachers don't want to get blocked in their car park by other staff so they park along the road. To add to it all, there is a one way system, so you have to leave the main road (mostly no parking) and travel along three short roads (150 metres or so each) to get back to the main road. Within that length of road there is a secondary school, an infant school, a junior school, a nursery and a combined nursery/infant/junior church school.

For the infant and junior schools, plus of course the nursery, children below year six are not allowed to leave unless there is an adult to pick them up in the playground - so no parking a little way off and waiting for the children. Parents are also required to remain in the playground until the children go into the building in the morning - so again many people have to park close, as they need their car to hand to get to work without delay and they cannot leave the school until 08:50 - my wife starts work at 09:00, as do many others.

It is time for councils to accept that the days where schools (never mind parents) were happy to let children make their own way to and from school and where a parent (usually the mother) had the time to walk to and from school are long gone. Schools will not allow pupils to make their own way (and indeed some have reported parents to social services for trying to do so) and many families are either single parents or both parents are working and have to get rapidly to and from work.

I can think of a few possibilities. One is to provide parking and proper drop-off/pick-up points as some schools already do. Another is to have staff (paid for by parents would be fine) in the playground for 20 minutes before and after school, so that parents can drop off and pick up earlier and later to allow them to still make work on time despite parking some distance away, which would also stagger the traffic a little.

On the odd occasion where I do the school run, I am always careful where I park, but I can understand parents running late due to unexpected delays taking the chance of stopping somewhere inappropriate so that their child is not told off for being late or upset because there is no-one there to collect them - young children do get very upset at that.

britishtrident

posted on 6/11/13 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
Good idea but councils will use it to make money.

In Scotland most school buildings are being renewed, in many cases after a school gets a new building the redundant school buildings are often used to decant another school into while their own building are replaced as a result you two schools effectively sharing the same site. This is the case with my grandsons school add a few parents that don't give a toss for the safety of any child but their own and the resulting chaos is appalling and dangerous.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

britishtrident

posted on 6/11/13 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveWalker
My wife suffers from intermittent, severe hip pain and needs to park close. If she turns up anywhere near pick-up time, there are no places to park. There used to be more spaces, but the school had two additional gates put in and the zig-zags extended along most of the road to cover all three gates, the large houses opposite were converted to flats so there are more residents' cars, and the teachers don't want to get blocked in their car park by other staff so they park along the road. To add to it all, there is a one way system, so you have to leave the main road (mostly no parking) and travel along three short roads (150 metres or so each) to get back to the main road. Within that length of road there is a secondary school, an infant school, a junior school, a nursery and a combined nursery/infant/junior church school.

For the infant and junior schools, plus of course the nursery, children below year six are not allowed to leave unless there is an adult to pick them up in the playground - so no parking a little way off and waiting for the children. Parents are also required to remain in the playground until the children go into the building in the morning - so again many people have to park close, as they need their car to hand to get to work without delay and they cannot leave the school until 08:50 - my wife starts work at 09:00, as do many others.

It is time for councils to accept that the days where schools (never mind parents) were happy to let children make their own way to and from school and where a parent (usually the mother) had the time to walk to and from school are long gone. Schools will not allow pupils to make their own way (and indeed some have reported parents to social services for trying to do so) and many families are either single parents or both parents are working and have to get rapidly to and from work.

I can think of a few possibilities. One is to provide parking and proper drop-off/pick-up points as some schools already do. Another is to have staff (paid for by parents would be fine) in the playground for 20 minutes before and after school, so that parents can drop off and pick up earlier and later to allow them to still make work on time despite parking some distance away, which would also stagger the traffic a little.

On the odd occasion where I do the school run, I am always careful where I park, but I can understand parents running late due to unexpected delays taking the chance of stopping somewhere inappropriate so that their child is not told off for being late or upset because there is no-one there to collect them - young children do get very upset at that.

Sorry that dosen't wash the ones that park dangerously are usually the youngest and fittest I have ankle and knee problems I and often have severe pain walking but always make the time and effort to park properly when collecting my grandson.

Would you also exempt from the the road traffic law the mothers who collect their own children then speed away from school.

[Edited on 6/11/13 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

MikeRJ

posted on 6/11/13 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by motorcycle_mayhem
Plenty of posts here agreeing that there is a problem with the actions of the parents in dropping their kids off at school. I'll agree as well, I can't believe the attitide of those behind the wheels of the hoards of chelsea tractors. Huge great shining monster vehicles, one kid each.

Thing is... I don't agree that yet another CCTV system is the way forward. The Bliar surveillance society has flourished under the present administration, and looks set to only expand.

I totally see your point, and I don't appreciate the erosion of privacy and freedom that goes with the explosion of CCTV use. Perhaps more direct action is called for, a sniper on a nearby roof perhaps, or someone in a monster truck that passes up and down the road during drop off/pick up time and crushes anything badly parked?

Dingz

posted on 6/11/13 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
There are 2 vans running in Bedford, at least they have stopped people parking on the grass verge outside my house., but not over the drive.

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

coyoteboy

posted on 7/11/13 at 12:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Madinventions
Sounds like a job for a traffic warden rather than a computer with a camera to me.

What's the difference?

coyoteboy

posted on 7/11/13 at 12:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Only because people are irrational, paranoid lunatics.

Our local primary school lets kids walk in alone, my old primary school still lets kids walk in alone (and encourages it and bike use) and all the high schools in the area seem to encourage it. The school has no say in the matter anyway?

quote:

This has been standard practice at my old primary school since 1985?

[Edited on 7/11/13 by coyoteboy]

Ninehigh

posted on 8/11/13 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
quote:
Originally posted by Madinventions

What's the difference?

A traffic warden can be given a tow truck

I'd happily tow a few vehicles in order to ram some sense into them. No-one round here parks on the zigzags though

scimjim

posted on 8/11/13 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
there's no excuse for new-build schools, Local councils have a duty to insist on traffic control of some description in the planning permission.

This is one way to engineer a solution to the problem:

quote:
Originally posted by SteveWalkerI can think of a few possibilities. One is to provide parking and proper drop-off/pick-up points as some schools already do. Another is to have staff (paid for by parents would be fine) in the playground for 20 minutes before and after school, so that parents can drop off and pick up earlier and later to allow them to still make work on time despite parking some distance away, which would also stagger the traffic a little.

this is simply profiteering from the main issue and does nothing to address the underlying problem:

quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
What do we think of this initiative??

Sky news link

Lightning

posted on 9/11/13 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
School buses

That would get rid of nearly all the traffic. School holidays the traffic is halved. The yanks have it right on this one

Steve

mad4x4

posted on 9/11/13 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
Originally posted by whitestu

Just like those poor souls that drive around the supermarket entrance waiting for a free disabled or parent and child space because they are unable to walk the 50-100 yards from the numerous spaces at the other side of the car park?

I would welcome anything that targets the selfish lazy gits who completely clog the roads at my daughters school as they appear to believe that parking restrictions don't apply to them. No space left on the road, zig zag area all filled up? Never mind, just park on the pavement instead and force kids to go out into the road to get around your badly parked car

Yeah but up here at super markets they are expecting 40 disabled people and about 300 parents/child, at any one point, looking at the number of dis-proportionate spaces they have allocated. So why should n't we use the parent and child.....!

Don't get me wrong I think policing the school gate somehow is a good idea, lots of parents just abandon there Chelsea Taxis so they can get junior picked up.

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.