Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: DPF problem on Ford Tdci
steve m

posted on 28/2/14 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
DPF problem on Ford Tdci

Hi All

I seem to be having a few problems with my 2.0 Tdci, as earlier today, on a cold start up, it sounded like a tin box full of nuts and bolts being shaken about

Honestly, it was that dreadful!!
it also had an error message of "service oil"

yet parked all day at work, oil checked, and all fine and on the mark, start it up, and it seems to be fine ??

So, ive done some search's and it seems , I could have Dpf problems

So an an oil/filter change tomorrow, as its done about 5k since the last one , and I always change at the 5-6k mark anyway
and reset the message, as I can !!

Question, does anyone recommend any fuel additives, that I can add to the fuel, that will help in my quest to get the car running a bit sweeter or are these "additives" just snake oil

My car is used primarily on pretty short runs and 10 min runs at any time, but does have a blast on a motorway now and again

any one able to comment or help appreciated

Steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

robocog

posted on 28/2/14 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
In the process of buying my first diesel car so its something I was getting concerned enough to Google

On the car I'm interested in (BM E30 320D) I know there are issues (amongst the myriad of others!!!) with the thermostats failing open - making the regeneration not happen as the car never reaches full running temp

I also read that duff glow plugs can cause them not to go into regeneration mode

There are possibly other issues that will contribute
As the Bm doesn't have a full time dedicated temp gauge (other than cockpit temp!) and involves doing "button pushy stuff with voodoo" to get it to show temps its not as obvious that they are not getting to full running temp

Not sure if the Fords are the same?

Ours will be subject to lots of short journeys with the occasional longer run - which has put doubts that its the right tool for the job in hand...but others have assured me that it shouldn't be a massive issue as long as it is reaching full temp in good time and remaining there on a run (so I will have to memorise the button push sequence to get into temp monitor mode)

Worst case scenario I did find a company advertising they have good sucess regenerating them on a rolling road - if that fails it would be a big bill for a new one (or just gut it and remap and hope you don't get caught)

Going to watch the thread closely as no money has actually changed hands yet

Regards
Rob

mark chandler

posted on 28/2/14 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
I throw 250ml of quality 2 stroke into my old Volvo on each tank fill up.

Car runs smoother, quieter and gets about 2mpg more with this, although for me the main reason is to lubricate the clever bits as the car is worthless so if the engine or injection goes its scrap modern diesel is very heavily refined so has zero lubricating properties, this protects the pump and injectors but it does pay for itself.

[Edited on 28/2/14 by mark chandler]

coozer

posted on 28/2/14 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
I had a DPF regen failure on mine... ground to halt on the hard shoulder of the A1M and the nice AA man confirmed the dpf was blocked..

Sounds the noise may be an EGR error, I would check that first BUT keep an eye on th oil level, if it starts going UP thats the sump filling up with diesel and points to the DPF...

How many miles has it done? DPF lifespan is a crap 60~70K..

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

coozer

posted on 28/2/14 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
I throw 250ml of quality 2 stroke into my old Volvo on each tank fill up.

Car runs smoother, quieter and gets about 2mpg more with this, although for me the main reason is to lubricate the clever bits as the car is worthless so if the engine or injection goes its scrap modern diesel is very heavily refined so has zero lubricating properties, this protects the pump and injectors but it does pay for itself.

[Edited on 28/2/14 by mark chandler]

Have you tried Castrol R in it? Just wondering if I could recreate the wonderful smell of my 2 stroke youth..

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

steve m

posted on 28/2/14 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
I have to admit the oil level was higher ( 5mm) than when I last checked it, months ago
but also the car was on a slight downhill slant

The Egr is blocked off with a plate, so not sure if that will help or hinder the problem

53k mileage
Steve

[Edited on 28/2/14 by steve m]

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

prawnabie

posted on 1/3/14 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
I know on ford/pug dpfs, there is a bag of red fluid that injects into the dpf filter, this only lasts so long and may be empty on yours.

[Edited on 1/3/14 by prawnabie]

me!

posted on 1/3/14 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
I have to admit the oil level was higher ( 5mm) than when I last checked it, months ago
but also the car was on a slight downhill slant

The Egr is blocked off with a plate, so not sure if that will help or hinder the problem

53k mileage
Steve

[Edited on 28/2/14 by steve m]

The EGR system is often used as part of the regen calibration, it helps control the amount of oxygen going through the system, which is quite important when your DPF is at 600 degrees C. They can have 'thermal runaway' above about 650 deg C I think, this is not a good thing!

If I was you I would unblank the EGR, best case is that it has stopped trying to regen, else it could be trying to regen without all its actuators available. DPF toting engines are best left alone, or have it removed completely.

During regen you can get fuel in the oil due to the extra quantity that is being added very late in the cycle. This could be the cause of your higher oil level if it has being attempting to regen a lot. It could of course be that it was on a slope, give it a sniff to find out!

Volvorsport

posted on 1/3/14 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
The technical term is exotherming , most substrates will exotherm at 800

take it for a thrash , top the fluid up if necessary

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

brookie

posted on 1/3/14 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robocog
In the process of buying my first diesel car so its something I was getting concerned enough to Google

On the car I'm interested in (BM E30 320D) I know there are issues (amongst the myriad of others!!!) with the thermostats failing open - making the regeneration not happen as the car never reaches full running temp

I also read that duff glow plugs can cause them not to go into regeneration mode

There are possibly other issues that will contribute
As the Bm doesn't have a full time dedicated temp gauge (other than cockpit temp!) and involves doing "button pushy stuff with voodoo" to get it to show temps its not as obvious that they are not getting to full running temp

Not sure if the Fords are the same?

Ours will be subject to lots of short journeys with the occasional longer run - which has put doubts that its the right tool for the job in hand...but others have assured me that it shouldn't be a massive issue as long as it is reaching full temp in good time and remaining there on a run (so I will have to memorise the button push sequence to get into temp monitor mode)

Worst case scenario I did find a company advertising they have good sucess regenerating them on a rolling road - if that fails it would be a big bill for a new one (or just gut it and remap and hope you don't get caught)

Going to watch the thread closely as no money has actually changed hands yet

Regards
Rob

what reg 320 u getting buddy

Volvorsport

posted on 1/3/14 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
You can get dpfs cleaned aswell

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

me!

posted on 1/3/14 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Volvorsport
The technical term is exotherming , most substrates will exotherm at 800

take it for a thrash , top the fluid up if necessary

They exotherm during a normal regen- an exothermic reaction is just one that releases energy in the form of heat, like when you burn anything, which is exactly what you are doing. Thermal runaway is the technical term for when the reaction accelerates in an uncontrolled fashion.

Sorry OP. Did the oil smell of fuel out of interest?

steve m

posted on 1/3/14 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
No the oil did not smell of diesel, but the oil that came out was very watery/thin
the car has done about 30 miles today, and most of it over 3k so hope ive done enough to clean it out

Steve

zetec

posted on 1/3/14 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
Often glug a couple of gallons of my son's 2 stroke kart premix in the MK when left over after a day at the track, smells great and with popping exhaust on overun just to complete the experience!

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

robocog

posted on 1/3/14 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brookie

Aug 2006 56 plate (so hopefully without steering lock issues and more robust swirl flaps?)
M47N2 engine
98k on the clock - it ate a turbo a couple of K ago and it got "sorted" and repaired at great cost
we are related to the current owner - who has gone for a 4x4 Rav4 this time round as his hobby is metal detectoring and has had the BM's stuck a few times

Will get de swirl flapped and de runflatted fairly early into our ownership I suspect

Test drive showed up rattly windows - but as our current tintop is an E46 I already have a tube of gummiphledge
Fingers crossed it will be as reliable / trouble free as our current 3 series has been
(though no more freebie jungle juice from the yard - the trucks drink all the deisel scrapping vehicles can yield - so one less perk to the job)

Regards
Rob

[Edited on 1/3/14 by robocog]

brookie

posted on 2/3/14 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robocog
quote:
Originally posted by brookie

Aug 2006 56 plate (so hopefully without steering lock issues and more robust swirl flaps?)
M47N2 engine
98k on the clock - it ate a turbo a couple of K ago and it got "sorted" and repaired at great cost
we are related to the current owner - who has gone for a 4x4 Rav4 this time round as his hobby is metal detectoring and has had the BM's stuck a few times

Will get de swirl flapped and de runflatted fairly early into our ownership I suspect

Test drive showed up rattly windows - but as our current tintop is an E46 I already have a tube of gummiphledge
Fingers crossed it will be as reliable / trouble free as our current 3 series has been
(though no more freebie jungle juice from the yard - the trucks drink all the deisel scrapping vehicles can yield - so one less perk to the job)

Regards
Rob

[Edited on 1/3/14 by robocog]

think that the one without the timing chain problem just check lt out buddy

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.