Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Smasung Fridge Freezer
Ajohnston_10

posted on 15/3/14 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
Smasung Fridge Freezer

This is completly non car related but im looking for some help,

Ive got one of them big americal style samsung fridge freezers (link below)

[img]http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=samsung+fridge+frezer&FORM=HDRSC2#view=detail&id=ACC975B44676D045556F426DFD7474CCAF7D274A&selecte dIndex=5[/img]eezeer

Long story short, its goosed!!

The fridge side still works, however, whenerver i try to set the freezer side below 0 degrees celcius it switches itself off.

I know its a very vague description but does anyone have any idea whats up with it?

Help will be appriciated!!

red22

posted on 15/3/14 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
MY guess, as your links not working so can see exact model, is that the fan in the fridge part has iced up. this leads to all sorts of problems. I speak from experience.

Underneath the light in the fridge the is a panel with some air vents either side. the fan is behind this, and that gets ices up. It can get so bad that the ice will be coming out of the air vents.

It is an easy fix and free. You will just need to leave the fridge unplugged until the ice melts, remove the panel and make sure all the ice is remove from around the fan.

Or if you are like me you will switch on your wallpaper stripper, and melt the ice like that. Total time from start to finish about 15/20 mins.

Depending on how old your fridge is youcan get a redesigned fan thats supposed to help. The kit costs about £120 last time i looked but why bother when the fix is so easy.

There are loads of how to's on youtube for this.

Or it might be something completely different.

robocog

posted on 15/3/14 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
Ahhh Samsung FF's

Had one - and something went odd with it
It would seemingly work for 12 hrs - then turn itself off for no apparent reason
I lived with it having to reboot morning and evening and even considered putting it on a timer so it would automatically "reboot" and at least keep our food good

I did a bit of probing /digging (as a layman going into this kind of thing with no prior knowledge)

Turns out these modern units self defrost by way of a heater and fan
Our heater had failed (IIRC was measuring open circuit)- and the ecu that decides when it needed doing had also gone kaput (very common and very costly from what I could make out)
The repairers that I called were not surprised and said it was common for the ecu to go potty after a certain ammount of time

I kicked it in frustration that it certainly seemed to me that Samsung had built in a timer to make it fail prematurely,and slung it out the front for the pikeys (was gone out of my life within a few hours)

As a replacement we got a VERY manual non auto defrosting unit, that we (meaning ME) have to defrost every now and again (depending on how frequently they leave the door open and leave the room)

I suspect as it does not contain any computer wizzardry and the thermostats are mechanical it will outlive me
(as long as they dont wear out the compressors from trying to chill the kitchen by forgetting to close the door)

things to check if it were mine
Fan spins freely (spin it)
heater is working (continuity test)
Thermostats are not telling prokies (would need to try and find the spec or just swap good for unknown)
ecu is doing what it should (could be expensive just to see)

fingers crossed for you its just a thermostat thats lost the plot

Regards
Rob

Edited to add IIRC on mine there was a thermal cutout on the compressor - so worth monitoring

[Edited on 15/3/14 by robocog]

Ajohnston_10

posted on 15/3/14 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the reply

If you type into Google images, samsung fridge freeze, its the first black one. I couldnt tell you what model it was ha.

The problems with the freezer not working not the fridge side though?? The fridge still works perfectly, as i said, when i try to set the freezer to below freezing (zero) the whole unit just switches off. Ill have a look to see if that could be the issue though.

Thanks for the help

robocog

posted on 15/3/14 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
Are they dual compressor or is it a motorized flap that directs cold air?

I assume dual comp as its a side by side model

Ours was a flap type with single compressor (fridge on top and freezer below)

Regards
Rob

Ajohnston_10

posted on 15/3/14 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
robocog, thats the same for all moder apliences nowadays, all built to self distruct after a few years of use. My parents still have the freezer they got about 20 years ago before electronics took over! But yeh ill check the points you mentioned and see if i can see whats wrong with it. If not itll be getting launched ourtside too.

Thanks for the help!!

robocog

posted on 15/3/14 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
I got very frustrated when we went shopping for our replacement and the sales people I did chat with were shocked that our Samsung had made it beyond 5 years!

The replacement was bought second hand off eBay and was the most basic mechanical non auto defrosting one I could find
I have no regrets 2 or 3 years in...yet

Regards
Rob

red22

posted on 15/3/14 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
Yep even though the fridge seems to be fine the iced fan will cause the freezer to play up. They seem to have a mind of their own. First time it happened it was the freezer that wouldn't freeze, and on the other times its happened it was the fridge. I think it depends how iced it becomes before you notice it. Early signs of it about to have are a "clicking", "rubbing" noise from the fan as it spins against the ice accumulation when you open the fridge door.

I've had mine for over 5 years and its iced itself up 3 times at a grand cost to me of £0 and 45mins of my time. Never had anything else go wrong.

Going by your google search it looks to be of the same type as mine.

RoadkillUK

posted on 15/3/14 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
I bought one of these fridges from eBay, it was already broken but I did a bit of research and found out how to fix it, it turns out it has a heating element at the back of the fridge compartment to stop it from freezing up and this was not working.

I bought a new one from eBay, LINK. I have some photo's from when I did the job in 2011.

This is a LINK to some photo's

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ajohnston_10

posted on 16/3/14 at 06:48 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the replys and the great help. Ill go have a look at it at some point and see if its fixable.
ashg

posted on 16/3/14 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
cant help with the samsung but we have got a panasonic one and it comes with a free 5 year guarantee

this is the one we have.

http://www.panasonic.com/uk/consumer/home-appliances/fridge-freezers/side-by-side-fridge-freezers/nr-b53v2-xb.html

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

Ajohnston_10

posted on 16/3/14 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
The samsung had a 3 year warrenty but it ran out november 2013, typical haha.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.