Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: KIT CAR SHOW OPPORTUNITY
stig mills

posted on 3/1/15 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
KIT CAR SHOW OPPORTUNITY

I posted this on PH too.
As we are now officially in 2015 I opened my new diary page to enter the important dates for 2015 kit car shows or alternatives. Ouch!
No kit car pavilion at Auto sport
No Detling
No Exeter
No Malvern (first one cancelled)
No Newark
No Castle Coombe Kit Fest (first one cancelled)
No Donington, at least no news yet?
SEVEN DOWN AND JUST ONE LEFT!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well I entered Stoneligh in my diary and then realised a massive opportunity has opened up for a new show, a show that revitalises the industry, a show perhaps that can break the mould of fields full of kit cars and little or no action or entertainment and and low gate take for organisers.
With virtually no where for kit car owners to go this year maybe just maybe at last it is possible to throw away that " I should get in free because my car adds to the show" routine and actually charge a small fee to KC owners that can be spent on making a great show.
Is this possible? Are we ready? I can't do it, I am a manufacturer, but there must be show organisers that can run with this if they were made aware of potential.
So is anyone going to step forward and open a new show this year, a proper show, with perhaps a drag strip or an auto test that everyone can have a go at, inter club competitions, prizes for best club display etc etc. Any other ideas very welcome. Lets hope someone is looking that can grasp this opportunity and do it. Please help spread the word.
Track action is probably cost prohibitive unless there is a low cost alternative. Brands Hatch and the likes can cost 40k for a weekend in the summer due to one firm owning most of the UK circuits that almost has a monopoly. Site suggestions? Events that may combine with kit cars suggestions? WOULD YOU PAY TO GET IN?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
adithorp

posted on 3/1/15 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
You convieniently miss the one show from the last 2 years that did exactly what you suggest; Track action and charged a (discounted) entry to kit drivers.

Total Kit Car Live. At Blyton in 2013 and Brands in 2014. It was hampered by lack of publicity and this year by the date (Nov at Brands?) and a clash with another event I think, but it could build into a decent event.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

coozer

posted on 3/1/15 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
They have all slowly died a death due to lack of support by the kit car owner.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

richardm6994

posted on 3/1/15 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
Although still in its infancy, on the 13th to 15tb September 2015 RHOCAR are hosting the 3rd annual 'end of season kit car bash' in Northampton which is open to all clubs and enthusiasts.

Last year's event from a couple of photo bucket albums;
http://s1274.photobucket.com/user/sparish73/library/National%20Meet%202014?sort=3&page=1
http://s1275.photobucket.com/user/Dino2B/story_130185/story
http://www.rhocar.org/index.php?showtopic=37794&st=90

Although it's not a Kitcar show in its truest form, it is a bl00dy good family weekend centred around our hobby. The 2015 event hasn't yet been formalised, but the date is set and we're certainly aiming to grow the event year on year.

Please note this is not exclusive to RHOCAR members. Other clubs attend for the weekend so if you'd like to join us, details can be found here and flyers will be given out at stoneleigh show etc....throughout the year.
http://www.rhocar.org/index.php?showtopic=40646

[Edited on 3/1/15 by richardm6994]

Irony

posted on 3/1/15 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
I work for a events company and I have never understood the 'get in free with a kitcar'. When going to a concert you don't get in free if you take a guitar. The company I work for don't do this sort of show.

You need these people.

http://www.livepromotions.co.uk/

SPYDER

posted on 3/1/15 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
If the alternative is " no show at all" then its a no-brainer!
Use the funds to get more exhibitors and traders interested.
Somebody doing 4 wheel alignment checks?
A mobile rolling road?

Is there a date set yet for TKC Live 2015?

rdodger

posted on 3/1/15 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
TKC Action days have both been great. As Adi says Blyton went well if a little quiet, Brands a little wet and cold!

Perhaps a more central location when it's a little warmer? Perhaps Bruntingthorpe would be an option?

I'm pretty sure Steve will be working on both the issues.

Donnington works well as the racing adds another dimension and gives us something else to do.

Stoneleigh is Stoneleigh and the one most people make the effort to go to as a social event as much as anything.

Considering the current state of the kit car world at the moment that seems enough.

kj

posted on 3/1/15 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
They have them too far south, what about north east, Yorkshire and Scotland ???

Think about it, think about it again and then do it.

Ben_Copeland

posted on 3/1/15 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
The kent Kitcar club have events on all through the year

Stoneleigh, bhp show, dealing classic show, Folkestone airshow car display, TKC at brands the Diarys not filled in yet so I can't say much more. But I did something every month last year and didn't do all the events.

We are also doing Silverstone classic in July camping over.

[Edited on 3/1/15 by Ben_Copeland]

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

Alfa145

posted on 3/1/15 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
They have all slowly died a death due to lack of support by the kit car owner.

Or lack of support from the British weather....

Bottom line is it doesn't matter how great the show is if you don't have at least a weeks good weather before a show and a solid forecast for more sun during the show then there will be a poor turnout. And as soon as the grey clouds start gathering in the sky a lot of people pop up the roofs/put on the waterproofs and leave in droves.

marco

posted on 3/1/15 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irony
I work for a events company and I have never understood the 'get in free with a kitcar'. When going to a concert you don't get in free if you take a guitar. The company I work for don't do this sort of show.

You need these people.

http://www.livepromotions.co.uk/

Yes but no one would want to watch me play a guitar

The point is without the cars to look at there is no show worth going to see is there....

This is what really gets my goat the unlucky folks that spend all of there hard earned cash on there show cars and kit cars and they are still expected to pay to exhibit these at the shows. Without them what have you left some trade stands and a few burger vans....

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 3/1/15 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
Stig Mills has, no doubt, a far better overview of the kit car industry than anyone (especially me).

I do however, get a big vibe that things are not too good. Interesting article I read on this somewhere, in a glossy magazine, that the yoof are just not interested in all this rubbish (when you can get an' Impretzer' (e.g.) for not a great outlay). The rich old gits are now apparently into very expensive Cobraesque type things. People like me , now balding, poor, etc., seem to in the minority.

Problem with me and shows - simply that motorsport rounds have always coincided, the latter will always win out.

PorkChop

posted on 3/1/15 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by marcoThe point is without the cars to look at there is no show worth going to see is there....

This is what really gets my goat the unlucky folks that spend all of there hard earned cash on there show cars and kit cars and they are still expected to pay to exhibit these at the shows. Without them what have you left some trade stands and a few burger vans....

The kit car fraternity is the only one I know of where there is the expectation of free entry for 'exhibitors' TBH.

orton1966

posted on 3/1/15 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
Elvington would be a good venue.
Plenty of outdoor hardstanding for displays, auto-testing and/or marquees, plus a huge runway to do sprints, demonstrations, drag races etc.

if I was the organiser, I'd market the event on the driving aspect I.e. Have pay per run drag strip, auto-testing and maybe drifting. Have it open to bikes and cars, have auto jumble and trade areas. For those exhibiting cars, do something like one drag run free (but only during certain off peak times)

Then at elvington, for the drag/sprints, I'd set the start area in the middle and have them running off in both directions to maximise the amount of runs per day and minimise the queuing.

bi22le

posted on 3/1/15 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PorkChop
quote:
Originally posted by marcoThe point is without the cars to look at there is no show worth going to see is there....

The kit car fraternity is the only one I know of where there is the expectation of free entry for 'exhibitors' TBH.

Same here. I have been to, and been an 'exhibitor' in various makes and flavours of car shows over the years. I never get in for free except for kit car shows.

The two biggest shows I go to are Fordfair and Japfest. I know that the VW ones are also massive.

I think track time or action is crucial for a good car show. Even more so with our types of cars. Concours and show and shine just is not the same on a home built car.

How about hosting it at a track that has 750MC on at the same time. That would be good and boost exposure to 750MC. Kind of like Goodwood FOS style.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Slimy38

posted on 3/1/15 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
Having not completed my car yet I've always had to pay full whack for Stoneleigh, but I have absolutely no problem with it. I look forward to showing off my car when it's done, but I'd still be happy to pay some sort of entrance fee.

I do like the idea of the TKC action days though, I think MEV do a similar thing for their owners.

SPYDER

posted on 3/1/15 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
Would I be right in thinking that if we had been paying an entry fee to "exhibit " our cars that Newark, Detling, et al might still be on the calendar?

Or is Marco right? Better to have no show than have to cough up!

Alfa145

posted on 3/1/15 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
How about hosting it at a track that has 750MC on at the same time. That would be good and boost exposure to 750MC. Kind of like Goodwood FOS style.

Like they did at Donington a year ago? Still not a great turnout with that though....

trextr7monkey

posted on 3/1/15 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
I'm liking the sound of Elvington and up north events.
Quite a lot of people seem to live within an hours drive of Stoneleigh but for those living future away it can be a major undertaking in some ting not benefitting from V12 power or if it does it can cost a couple of hundred in fuel so regional shows would be a good way to go
Atb
Mike

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

Dick Axtell

posted on 3/1/15 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by motorcycle_mayhem
The rich old gits are now apparently into very expensive Cobraesque type things. People like me , now balding, poor, etc., seem to in the minority.

Well, I'm not rich, but I am on the wrong side of 70 (naff all can be done about that), and suffering the usual "old git" hair loss. So you're not completely in a minority!

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

NeilP

posted on 3/1/15 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
I think if you get the right balance of building and driving type events at the show, the rolling road/setup type exhibitors as noted above, you have more things under cover to mitigate the weather and it's well advertised then most kitcar folk would be happy to pay a modest fee for entry...

If you pay peanuts...
Mentale, yar? Yar, mentale!
Drive it like you stole it!

Irony

posted on 3/1/15 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
Can't believe that some people are quibbling about paying to get into a show when you drive a kitcar. Even if the gate charges a small amount like £2.50 it would help turn a show into a profit making venture. You get free bloody parking as well!!!!!!!!

I am a exhibition designer and I go to a lot of shows. I have designed and built a stand at a show, been forced to pay to get in and been charged £12 to park before.

As kit car owners we need to support our kit car shows, we need to pay to get in and still go if the weathers naff.

Oddified

posted on 3/1/15 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
The biggest and best shows have a wide range of entertainment for the masses. Some of the biggest car shows are at Santa Pod, and they have everything a from night club, bars, fairground rides, show n shine, trade stands/shops, rolling road, drifting and of course the on track drag racing. It works, some of the shows are huge, so much so that it can be a bit of nightmare getting out of the event at the end of a weekend!

For me static cars on show with some trade stands doesn't work.

Ian

ps, and even if your doing the rwyb you still have to pay to get in the gates and then again to get on track...

[Edited on 3/1/15 by Oddified]

chillis

posted on 3/1/15 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
Promoters are in business to make money - shock, I know, but that's how it works. All the shows that have been dropped have been losing money. What do you expect when more of the people attending Stoneleigh last year got in for free than paid.
I suspect the problems of the decline in kit car shows and kit cars in general are many, but the general attitude of 'My car is the show so I should get in for free' has been a major factor in the shows Stiggy has mentioned being dropped.
Your car is not the main entertainment the general public pay good money to see, but at most shows these days there's little other entertainment to justify the money they have paid to get in.
This drives the public away and thus the potential customers, leading to the manufacturers failing and the industry continuing to shrink.
Add to this the general lack of design innovation in the last 2 decades and the ridiculous prices some kits cost to put on the road and I would say the writing is clearly on the wall.
Stiggy has been one of the few innovators but his exoskeleton designs don't suit the British weather. With even his kits costing the thick end of £5000 to put on the road for only a few days use per year, kit cars just don't make sense any more.
If these shows are to continue then kitcar owners have to accept they have to pay to get in too.
As for the kitcar industry, manufacturers are going to have come up with innovative solutions not just for the next generation of kitcars but in the way they market them as they can no longer rely on third party promoters for somewhere to show there products to the general public.

Not a positive post to start the year on I know but if it wakes people up to the crisis that the kitcar fraternity is in then maybe something positive will come of it!

Never under estimate the ingenuity of an idiot!

steve m

posted on 3/1/15 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
Have to agree with all of the above,

I went to EVERY kit car show from May 1999-2003, any where in the country we went, in our kit cars
I did about 8k mileage in those 3-4 years, but now manage about 1k a year

yet ive been to Exeter 2012 and Stoneleigh 2012, and EXACTLY the same stalls, same car stands, and nothing new (that I saw) so why bother going ?

zero interest, sorry !!

Another point i would like to raise is, that back in the 1999-2003 period of kit car shows, it was mainly
car related stalls, with the odd wicker basket or garden furniture stall thrown in the mix, yet stoneleigh a couple of years ago, the ratio must of been 40% car related and 60% other crap

This we all know is to bring in a larger audience of Wifes, Gf , and kids, also pushchairs and dogs!
who in there right mind wants to take a dog to a car show? (wifes and Gf excluded)

The kit car shows are nothing more than money making ventures, and we all need to make money
the above problems also are true of the Radio controlled shows I used to frequent, Blackbush and North weald, a few years ago, would be ram packed with "families and a dog"

Now as was said earlier, I buy pretty well all of my "wants" online as well,

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.