Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Police camera van range
sonic

posted on 8/4/15 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
Police camera van range

How far can a mobile Police camera van see when detecting speed?, does anyone know.

I was on the A19 today and about half a mile in the distance i saw a van in the layby slowed down to 68mph but may have been slightly higher than that before slowing.

RedAvon

posted on 8/4/15 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
If it was a laser device (probably) then the range is about 1 mile if they had clear line of sight ......

Ian

Bricoleur

02GF74

posted on 8/4/15 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
Disappointingly the accuracy is pretty goid to a fair distance.

See http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/speed1.htm

ChrisW

posted on 8/4/15 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure what the limit is but I got done at 600m distance 18 months ago. I checked at the time and found that to be within spec.

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Badger_McLetcher

posted on 9/4/15 at 12:06 AM Reply With Quote
Got caught at 666 metres, and that was about seven years ago!

If disfunction is a function, then I must be some kind of genius.

JoelP

posted on 9/4/15 at 06:31 AM Reply With Quote
On the plus side, to get a ticket in a 70 zone, your speedo would have to read in excess of 85.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Daddylonglegs

posted on 9/4/15 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
On the plus side, to get a ticket in a 70 zone, your speedo would have to read in excess of 85.

Could you give me that in writing officer?

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

Alfa145

posted on 9/4/15 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

That is incorrect. I got done at 81 on the gun and was not showing above 85 on my speedo, I was showing 82 (digital display)

It all depends how perfect your speedo is, if it's bang on then anything above 70 could get you a ticket.

bi22le

posted on 9/4/15 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alfa145
quote:

That is incorrect. I got done at 81 on the gun and was not showing above 85 on my speedo, I was showing 82 (digital display)

It all depends how perfect your speedo is, if it's bang on then anything above 70 could get you a ticket.

When I got collected my new car the first thing I did was check the accurac against my phone. My old Focus was bang on 10% over. My new Mondeo is more like 6% so I now set the cruise to 75 ish.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

sonic

posted on 9/4/15 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
how about 76 in a 70? acording to satnav gps speed which is more accurate than a speedo
morcus

posted on 9/4/15 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
The only accurate way you can tell how much its out by (Without special equipment) is to get someone to time you across a measurable distance at a fixed speed. It can be quite a fun game to play if you are a passenger on a long motorway journey. Granted that's what your sat nav is doing but how do you know how accurate it is?

on a side note I was told by a policeman that technically you are speeding if your speedo says you are, even if you aren't but they'd have to be in the car with you to see that

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

David Jenkins

posted on 9/4/15 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
A sat nav is reckoned to be accurate to 0.1mph...

...but it's all very well people saying "you can get away with 'x' over the speed limit", if you're followed by a police car you can be done for anything over the limit, even 71mph in a 70mph zone, if he/she decides that your out of order for some reason.

Personally, I got caught a few years ago doing 59 in a 50 zone - absolutely my fault, no excuses - so nowadays I pay a lot more attention to my speed. I've even set my sat nav to beep if I go over the limit. Amazing the number of times I've been saved a ticket by that feature!

Slimy38

posted on 9/4/15 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
It says in the LCB bible (AKA the IVA manual) that a speedo can read 10% over but 0% under, so that's where the concept of 20% out comes from, 10% off speedo inaccuracy then (supposed) 10% grace from the police. Personally I know my speedo is 10% out so I'll cruise at 75. If I get much higher I'm then into the unknown area where I 'might' be ok, but driving a company car I can't risk it.

Before I got the company car, I got done by a camera van for 85 in a 70. I know I cut my speed as soon as I saw the glimmer of a parked up van so they can definitely prosecute on line of sight even over a decent distance.

That 85 got me a £60 and 3 points, the 3 points made no difference at all to my car policy, my bike policy or my wife's policy (where I'm a named driver on her car). I felt a bit put out by it being a car offence, but had to declare it on my bike policy...

40inches

posted on 9/4/15 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
The wife got points and a fine for doing 43 in a 40 area
02GF74

posted on 9/4/15 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by morcus
The only accurate way you can tell how much its out by (Without special equipment) is to get someone to time you across a measurable distance at a fixed speed. It can be quite a fun game to play if you are a passenger on a long motorway

There are markers on motorway hard shoulder at every 100 m.

You just need to drive at conztant speed and count how many you pass in 30 sec, 1 min.

Then do the maths.

02GF74

posted on 9/4/15 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, just checked, it is 100 m, can evern ask govt where they are.

http://data.gov.uk/data-request/highways-agency-marker-post-id-locations-and-emergency-telephone-locations

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.