Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What's happened to…….

posted on 26/4/15 at 06:12 AM Reply With Quote
What's happened to…….

What's happened to the local meets, or indeed the big kit car shows ? Doesn't anyone go anymore ?

A few years back at this time of year this section of LB would be overbrimming with "convoy threads", builders from
the north, builders from the south, east, west, even across the sea.

Is it Locostbuilders that's changed, or the shows that have changed ?

It would be interesting to see the Stoneleigh attendances over the last, say ten years.

Over to you.

Paul G

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 26/4/15 at 06:34 AM Reply With Quote
Stoneleigh is always well attended all the other shows dropped off and now there not running , kitcars are at Motorsport type shows these days or Stoneliegh sad times I'm afraid .
chris_smith

posted on 26/4/15 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
im going stoneleigh, but my kit is still only a bare chassis so no "convoy" for me

The secret of success is to know something nobody else knows."

benchmark51

posted on 26/4/15 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
I think people attend events with local clubs more. Bristol kit car club (BKCC) have 2 convoys this year
as well as the 'lone' arrivals.

KitCatE1

posted on 26/4/15 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
Things sure have changed over the years, Ive only been around the kitcar scene 15 years or so (I'm only 30) only had the car 7 years , my dad use to take me to all the shows they were always buzzing and full of life things have really tailed off over the past few years, seems as folk are getting older we are loosing the older generation and experience that just can't be replaced, it is a shame even stoneleigh is a shadow of its former self

posted on 27/4/15 at 05:49 AM Reply With Quote
Interesting replies.

I've often felt that a proportion of blame is down to the shows.
They seem to remain the same but squeeze the last penny out of the exhibitors, so numbers drop off.

I also feel that we on LB carry some blame as well.
Any new member who comes on here full of energy to build gets a, "nah mate, cheaper and quicker to buy one."
Threads don't seem to "develop" like they used to, possibly due to the use of a front page where once a thread
drops off it no longer get any readers. Proof of this can be found with a "sticky." (Sorry Boss) One in this section
has a last post dated 27/6/12, but has had almost 48,000 views.

Thanks to KitCatE1 another element has popped up. I hadn't thought of age.
He's right though. I was brought up (some say dragged up) to tinker and make stuff from a child. From pram wheel
carts, push bikes, motor bikes for the field, then road, through to our first cars. All required make, mend & maintain.
Now £300 a month buys a new car so why bother?

It's probably just called progress.
I'm off to book an IVA re-test.
Cheers
Paul G

beaver34

posted on 27/4/15 at 06:17 AM Reply With Quote
Social media not forums is where the activity has moved to, take a look on the Facebook groups for seven owners daily chatting, pics, and meets and runs being done.

thats where its heading as people spend more time on social than they do on the web in general.

posted on 27/4/15 at 06:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by beaver34
Social media not forums is where the activity has moved to, take a look on the Facebook groups for seven owners daily chatting, pics, and meets and runs being done.

thats where its heading as people spend more time on social than they do on the web in general.

Damnation !

Just as an old fart gets the hang of something they go and change it.

beaver34

posted on 27/4/15 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907
quote:
Originally posted by beaver34

Damnation !

Just as an old fart gets the hang of something they go and change it.

yep, it is better though and has given me more motivation as you see pics and vids of people work and want to get yours done and join them!

davidinhull

posted on 2/5/15 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
I suspect the Facebook thing is true
I joined LCB when I bumped into someone (not literally) in the kit car and it was recommended (and was) good for meets in the local area (hull) despite me being a buyer of a car, not a builder
Couple of years ago I had limited success trying to resurrect this (if you are in E Yorkshire area and want to try again , jump in with a post now!)
David

Alfa145

posted on 2/5/15 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
Plenty of local meets organised on RHOCaR, SKCC and many more sites.

The big kit shows have been killed by the great british weather and the rise of the internet. 12+ years ago when I got into the kit scene the shows used to be huge, loads of kits and traders and manufacturers. Then eBay got more popular, why wait until one of 4 big shows a year to get you kit bits when you can sit at home on the sofa and get it in a couple of days.

Several years running of crap weather which doesn't mix with open top cars at all, slight forecast of spots of rain and most don't even bother planning to go. No cars then not much of a show.

And from 10 years ago I've hardly seen any change in the shows, always the same, same layout, same extras so year on year it gets a bit dull. Nothing new coming along to grab the punters attention. In todays world things can't afford to stand still and not provide a good few new features to drag in the old punters and some new punters.

We're now down to one real kit show, nothing new again this year, same old same old. Poor weather forecast for tomorrow at least and if Sundays is naff all the traders bugger off and go elsewhere on Monday. Can even Stoneleigh last much longer?

posted on 2/5/15 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alfa145

We're now down to one real kit show, nothing new again this year, same old same old. Poor weather forecast for tomorrow at least and if Sundays is naff all the traders bugger off and go elsewhere on Monday. Can even Stoneleigh last much longer?

I hope your wrong mate. I'm going on Monday.

Paul G

Bluemoon

posted on 2/5/15 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
Stoneliegh last year was a great show... normally is if the weather is good... i suspect the issue is forums are not as popular due to fb. activity on this site seems down a lot...
David Jenkins

posted on 2/5/15 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
Anywhere in particular in FB?

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 2/5/15 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
Weather forecast for the morning is grim but Sunday afternoon and Monday looks good . Last years show was better than the last few years being a kitcar manufacturer in the last 5 years + has been very tough ,but we must support this show and it's as much as a social thing for kitcar owners as what's new on the market ,it would be nice to see something new , or something that used to be done demo rides in some of the cars perhaps . I know the Internet has changed our shopping habits but you cannt beat getting around the stalls and having a look at stuff before you buy . I enjoy going every year having built 3 cars and owned another 2 in the last 15 years so let's all be positive for this years show and let it be a good one .
ReMan

posted on 2/5/15 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not convinced on th FB thing
Sure I'm linked on a few kit related groups, but if I'd got something serious to research or ask I,d be here.

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

ReMan

posted on 2/5/15 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
We've decided on Monday for the better weather
(The South Leicestershire Sevens club)

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

rusty nuts

posted on 4/5/15 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
Paul, check out the SG7 meet the first Sunday of the year near Baldock, someone normally posts on here but at short notice. About time we met up for a beer ? Mel

posted on 4/5/15 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
No number plates yet but the car made it to Stoneleigh on the trailer.

Sadly I found when I arrived that the Locost stand was manned by The Queens Own Deserters
but I bumped into Ferg and he invited me to join on the end of the Team GTM pitch.

In the words of W & G, It was a grand day out.

Now did somebody mention a beer?

Paul G

Description
Description

Ferg

posted on 5/5/15 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Honoured to have you and your lovely car on the pitch, Paul. Always welcome. As a club we have those who still own GTMs and those who have changed to other cars. Still welcome. 😃
bob

posted on 11/5/15 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
Hello Paul

Its certainly been a while since we have crossed paths, my 907 can is holding up nicely thanks.

Re the local meets i am trying my best in this neck of the woods, it is hard though as numbers are falling.
We do get lucky with our Newlands meets as the location is widely used by other car clubs. this does help to bring the numbers up and add some different marques.

The shows are a completely different bag of worms, large areas of ground with facilities and/or track are not pennies to rent.
So the organisers cant really win, its a business and they have to cover themselves.
I do not really know the answer to the lacking shows, maybe the traders should all get together as a consortium vote for someone to head the group and book a venue themselves.

posted on 12/5/15 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ferg
Honoured to have you and your lovely car on the pitch, Paul. Always welcome. As a club we have those who still own GTMs and those who have changed to other cars. Still welcome. 😃

Cheers Ferg.

It seems I'm destined to be stuck on the end of something else.

Description
Description

Here's a pic of my local for instance.
Note the new bullet mirrors acquired at Stoneleigh and the strange white square thing on the front.

atb
Paul G

Theres always somewhere to go
Theres always somewhere to go

[Edited on 12/5/15 by 907]

posted on 12/5/15 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bob
Hello Paul

Its certainly been a while since we have crossed paths, my 907 can is holding up nicely thanks.

Re the local meets i am trying my best in this neck of the woods, it is hard though as numbers are falling.
We do get lucky with our Newlands meets as the location is widely used by other car clubs. this does help to bring the numbers up and add some different marques.

The shows are a completely different bag of worms, large areas of ground with facilities and/or track are not pennies to rent.
So the organisers cant really win, its a business and they have to cover themselves.
I do not really know the answer to the lacking shows, maybe the traders should all get together as a consortium vote for someone to head the group and book a venue themselves.

Grrrrrr, Must have made it too well.

Hi Bob.
Yes it has been a while. It seems an eternity since I came down to one of your meets and sampled that liquid meat that people seem to crave for. Roll on another heart attack.
I do envy you lot though.
One post on LB and half a dozen replies within the hour, and thats every couple of weeks or so it seems.

Remember me to everyone.
Cheers
Paul G

bob

posted on 13/5/15 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
Paul it would be fasntastic to catch up, i will try and make more of an effort next year unless our paths cross at goodwood festival or revival.
I will be attending the Beaulieu spring jumble and also planning a trip to gurston down to see a little bit of hill climb.

[Edited on 13/5/15 by bob]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.